OFFICIAL - Joe Mattock Signs

Thing which connects Mattock and Maguire is that, they are both players who showed a lot of potential early in their career, and haven't quite delivered on that promise.

Think most of us fans look at a player's record when we sign them and think we're getting that record. DJ seems to focus more on raw talent than recent record - confident that him and Burton can get most out of a player.

Don't think we need to be unduly worried about signing players with patchy records, and think that they'll replicate that with us. Mattock and Maguire could easily join and record their best seasons.

In Dave Jones we trust.

Edited by Juror8

Guest wilyfox

I'M HERE!!

Joe Mattock, ahh, well. He was only 19 when he joined us and still rather raw, its possible he has matured with age. Michael Appleton was very complimentary of him when he went and joined up with Portsmouth last season. Unfortunately, the season where he featured for us, we had high expectations for promotion and he was up against a very solid left back in Marek Cech. For the first half of the season, where Mattock had his opportunity, he looked very much a liabilty, was often beaten by any winger who had an ounce of pace. After February, where we faced Bristol City and he put out the worst performance I've ever seen from an Albion player, he hasn't had much game time with us. Danny Haynes who had been injured for a while completely tore him to shreds on live television, it was embarrasing.

We have to remember, when he feautred for us he was playing with a court case hanging over his head which is certainly bound to effect his performances. He got himself into that stupid predicament in the first place and didn't help himself. He became a target of fans from other clubs who would torment him and it appeared to get the better of him, often making rash challenges and not using any sort of footballing brain or intelligence.

However, he was only 19 at the time. Has he improved as he's got older? Quite possibly. He certainly won't get any quicker. On a free, he could be a very good signing and could more than prove to be good back up for you, however, I do think you could possibly get better. Nicky Shorey, although appearing to be in decline could be an alternative option for you.

What you can also hope for is that during his time working with Roy Hodgson, he added elements to the defensive side of his game. It's where every player at our club improved. If he took on board what Roy has said then he can make a half decent career for himself. Going forward he isn't too bad and he'll certainly offer you some width. My concern would be whether he could be consistently good enough in the championship. Also, he was on nowhere near £20,000 at The Hawthorns so he think he'll be getting that anywhere then he can expect a lengthy spell out of football.

he looked very much a liabilty, was often beaten by any winger who had an ounce of pace - Tommy Spurr Syndrome

He certainly won't get any quicker - that wont go down well...

he looked very much a liabilty, was often beaten by any winger who had an ounce of pace - Tommy Spurr Syndrome

He certainly won't get any quicker - that wont go down well...

I remember Tommy Spurr when we played you. Think Jerome Thomas went past him every time. Was unbelieveable.

What I will say though is that pace isn't the be all and end all of a footballer. If Mattock has improved his positioning and with age grew more mature and learnt the correct times when to make the tackle then he can still be a very good full back. If he's as rash as he was when he was with us, then again, he might find himself in for a struggle. It does appear, off the reviews we heard from Portsmouth fans, that he has improved, and hopefully he can continue to improve and if he does sign for you, become a very good left back.

Guest Mossy

I`m pretty sure Mattock got arrested a bit back for fighting in leicester,a new mate for Madine then. lol

he got in a fight with a lass out side of a nightclub, the name of which eludes me, its opposite republic anyway, used to be called creation

Guest wilyfox

I remember Tommy Spurr when we played you. Think Jerome Thomas went past him every time. Was unbelieveable.

What I will say though is that pace isn't the be all and end all of a footballer. If Mattock has improved his positioning and with age grew more mature and learnt the correct times when to make the tackle then he can still be a very good full back. If he's as rash as he was when he was with us, then again, he might find himself in for a struggle. It does appear, off the reviews we heard from Portsmouth fans, that he has improved, and hopefully he can continue to improve and if he does sign for you, become a very good left back.

doesn't surprise me. he tried to contain my nan once...couldn't do it.

The fact that he impressed when at Portsmouth Bagghie, suggests he did improve as a player under Hodgson.

I'd be happy with him here, think DJ and TB could get him back on track.

Too right. Every player in our squad improved the defensive side of their game. What didn't help us under RDM is that we were very open and expansive and often left a troubled left back out to dry with no support. He was certainly a weak link and the likes of Jimmy Kebe, Jobi McAnuff, Danny Haynes, Damien Duff and one or two others noticed this and ran at him every time they had the ball, often beating him. I know Jimmy Kebe and Danny Haynes ragged him around that much he fell over his own feet once or twice at the Mad Stad and at Ashton Gate.

Had Mattock received some support from our midfield it might have been a different story, but we'll never know. There is potential there, but like most footballers it comes down to their mentality and whether they want to work hard enough to succeed.

Methinks if all and i mean all of our supporters turned out for a match , such as overseas supporters from all around the world +regulars ,armchair fans the lot

i don't doubt the fanbase would fill the ground and surrounding areas 10 fold ,,just think on cardiffe 40 odd thousand THERE and how many couldn't get tickets or couldn't get for one reason or another us older fans have seen hillsborough heaving and many more couldn't get in , Just saying if any other fanbase could achieve this ,(Bar top end prem teams) lets start talking ,or otherwise stfu,and if thats arrogant so be it , proof is in the eating

Amen brother Trev :)

Just had a delivery driver whos a leicester fan in at work who was full of praise for him said as i did earlier with them mainly disliking him due to how he left and forgetting that he is a very capable defender for the championship level

"This is reflected in their gates. United's median gate was 17,700 compared to Wednesday's 18,500 - so pretty similar "regular" support I would say.

However, Wednesday have a much larger number of armchair supporting big game Charlies in their ranks, and unlike most teams, their cavernous ground can accommodate both these floating fans and a large away support. 29,000 for Huddersfield, 36,000 for the derby and 38,000 on the final day vs Wycombe. If you remove these outliers, their gates are not far apart."

Think he's right to be honest. If you take away our three biggest gates, but leave theirs in, then our crowds aren't too different...

How on earth can attendences been compared when they've only just moved in to a bigger ground and was in a higher league than us? Wait until end of next season before doing so.

Guest JonTheOwl66

FFS, you just don't get it.

It's a joke, the whole MASSIVE thing was said tongue in cheek, alot of Wednesday players said it in interviews and Owlstalk picked up on it, we used it to wind the blunts up as they didn't understand the joke, *** was succesful, they retaliated, we used it some more and it has grown from there.

We aren't really an arrogant, deluded fanbase, it's just a bit of a laugh.

No mate, we are an arrogant, deluded fan base. Please don't ever think otherwise.

Where Is baggiey ?? Come out come out where ever you are lol

I'm here :biggrin: i personally prefer Shorey out of the 2 left backs we let go Jara a good championship player though

Guest foreverSWFC

No mate, we are an arrogant, deluded fan base. Please don't ever think otherwise.

Why have you still not replied to my Maguire post smart arse, said you were gonna do it, but you didn't.

Guest Foxhill Owl

I'm here :biggrin: i personally prefer Shorey out of the 2 left backs we let go Jara a good championship player though

Agh bout time.

So fill us in more is he a attacking fullback ?