OFFICIAL - Joe Mattock Signs

Who cares what other fans think about us?

I don't care if a couple of clubs such as Brighton don't like us. The majority of football clubs have a mutual respect for us anyway. Just the way Brighton went off last year and this year makes me cringe too.

Tbh lets just concentrate on us , who cares what the other clubs think , if we think we are MASSIVE lets keep it in house , we are wednesday sod everyone elses team we don't have to belittle them they allready know lol

Tbh lets just concentrate on us , who cares what the other clubs think , if we think we are MASSIVE lets keep it in house , we are wednesday sod everyone elses team we don't have to belittle them they allready know lol

If Mattock does sign for us all we have to do is smile smugly and be safe in the knowledge that he chose us because of 'certain factors' that make us more appealing.

lol

Oh god.

Are we going to have another season of boring people moaning about the "MASSIVE" thing?

If you don't get it, don't comment. Just bore off and stand in a corner somewhere moaning to yourself about how bad it's going to look when two Brighton fans come on here then report back to their forum what a set of w*nkers we are.

As ever, my hero.

I dont care what other fans think of us.

Never have.

Methinks if all and i mean all of our supporters turned out for a match , such as overseas supporters from all around the world +regulars ,armchair fans the lot

i don't doubt the fanbase would fill the ground and surrounding areas 10 fold ,,just think on cardiffe 40 odd thousand THERE and how many couldn't get tickets or couldn't get for one reason or another us older fans have seen hillsborough heaving and many more couldn't get in , Just saying if any other fanbase could achieve this ,(Bar top end prem teams) lets start talking ,or otherwise stfu,and if thats arrogant so be it , proof is in the eating

Edited by trevdi9

Is all the anti-Brighton feeling really necessary?

Their long standing fans are as loyal as anyone, who have stuck by their club despite appalling mis management which resulted in them playing their home games at Gillingham and then the god forsaken Withdean.

Ok, they have attracted a few lobbers onto their bandwagon since promotion and move to new stadium, but they are minority compared to their

long establihed loyal support.

They couldn't sell out the 8,000 Withdean could they? Reight loyal.

I thought we had just been promoted out of the league with all the tin-pot clubs rattling on about this tongue-in-cheek "MASSIVE" and all the other small time stuff. Clearly, even the Championship has a few tin-potters in it that seem to be wasting their time having a pop at us/our support/our stadium/owt related to us.

"This is reflected in their gates. United's median gate was 17,700 compared to Wednesday's 18,500 - so pretty similar "regular" support I would say.

However, Wednesday have a much larger number of armchair supporting big game Charlies in their ranks, and unlike most teams, their cavernous ground can accommodate both these floating fans and a large away support. 29,000 for Huddersfield, 36,000 for the derby and 38,000 on the final day vs Wycombe. If you remove these outliers, their gates are not far apart."

Think he's right to be honest. If you take away our three biggest gates, but leave theirs in, then our crowds aren't too different...

oooooh you rascally scamp!

He looked good, but recently when seeing him play for United he looked pretty average and I get the impression he lost his way like Spurr or Beevers. Still, I was chuffed when we signed Bennett and he turned out to have lost the ability to concentrate.

uh-oh.... We've been spotted

"They are indeed, but you should check out the reaction to this thread by a few of their gobshites on owlstalk. We are apparently small shitty little Brighton who have no chance when the big boys like them come calling. They point to their huge gates as proof of this.

Odd then, that our gates were consistently better than theirs last season. They may have averaged a few more last season, but this was swelled by 3 MASSIVE gates which can be accommodated in their cavernous outdated rust bucket and it just goes to show how plastic a large portion of their support actually is. Their median league gate (middle) gate was actually 2,000 lower than ours at just 18,000.

In any case, this attendance guff ignores the more important corporate facilities available at other clubs. The Amex for example can generate more money than many bigger grounds just because we can host nearly 3,000 corporate guests in 1901. I bet even the 37,000 capacity Hillsborough struggles to compete with that.

So yeah, of course Wednesday are historically a bigger club than us and most of the division, but some of their fans really do have MASSIVE delusions of grandeur. One crap season and we'll see 17,000 rattling around oversized Hillsborough again. (That's 4,000 fewer than we've sold season tickets this season)"

They have a point.

Hahahaha...... they don't,

1. Their inflated support this season will die away once the novelty of their new stadium and championship football wears off. Then they will see the meaning of 'plastic support'

2. The number of home supporters coming to Hillsborough will have been MASSIVEly higher than that going to Brighton's ground last year- they only have similar attendances to us based on the many more travelling fans in the championship.

3. We have been spiralling downwards for 15 years, and we STILL get 20,000+ regularly. Forget 17,000 after one bad season, with one good season we could average 30,000.

4. We are MASSIVE, they are tinpot

5. Nananananananana- we've got Joe Mattock

It would be amusing if we did sign him though, after all the chest thumping from Seagulls fans on here about 18 months ago.

Brighton are a progressive club and fair play to them. But a progressive Wednesday, as we are now can outstrip them and we are a bigger name whether they like it or not.

Edited by Bluesteel

Hahahaha...... they don't,

1. Their inflated support this season will die away once the novelty of their new stadium and championship football wears off. Then they will see the meaning of 'plastic support'

2. The number of home supporters coming to Hillsborough will have been MASSIVEly higher than that going to Brighton's ground last year- they only have similar attendances to us based on the many more travelling fans in the championship.

3. We have been spiralling downwards for 15 years, and we STILL get 20,000+ regularly. Forget 17,000 after one bad season, with one good season we could average 30,000.

4. We are MASSIVE, they are tinpot

5. Nananananananana- we've got Joe Mattock

You missed my point. There ARE a few gobshites on OwlsTalk.

Not sure what capacity brighton has, but this will have an impact on season ticket numbers. If hillsboro only held 25k I'm fairly sure our st figures would be higher. Supply n damand innit?

Guest Sniper1

So they are soooooooooooo pleased because they averaged less fans than us in a league higher?

Does that not confirm what most of us are saying?

They had a few things going for them last summer ie momentum from promotion and a new ground.

They still got less support.

What are they trying to prove exactly?

Not sure what capacity brighton has, but this will have an impact on season ticket numbers. If hillsboro only held 25k I'm fairly sure our st figures would be higher. Supply n damand innit?

Was just going to post this.

The capacity is 22,500.

It is just like Norwich, if they had a capacity of 40,000, the supporters wouldn't have to buy a ST

I'M HERE!!

Joe Mattock, ahh, well. He was only 19 when he joined us and still rather raw, its possible he has matured with age. Michael Appleton was very complimentary of him when he went and joined up with Portsmouth last season. Unfortunately, the season where he featured for us, we had high expectations for promotion and he was up against a very solid left back in Marek Cech. For the first half of the season, where Mattock had his opportunity, he looked very much a liabilty, was often beaten by any winger who had an ounce of pace. After February, where we faced Bristol City and he put out the worst performance I've ever seen from an Albion player, he hasn't had much game time with us. Danny Hayness who had been injured for a while completely tore him to shreds on live television, it was embarrasing.

We have to remember, when he feautred for us he was playing with a court case hanging over his head which is certainly bound to effect his performances. He got himself into that stupid predicament in the first place and didn't help himself. He became a target of fans from other clubs who would torment him and it appeared to get the better of him, often making rash challenges and not using any sort of footballing brain or intelligence.

However, he was only 19 at the time. Has he improved as he's got older? Quite possibly. He certainly won't get any quicker. On a free, he could be a very good signing and could more than prove to be good back up for you, however, I do think you could possibly get better. Nicky Shorey, although appearing to be in decline could be an alternative option for you.

What you can also hope for is that during his time working with Roy Hodgson, he added elements to the defensive side of his game. It's where every player at our club improved. If he took on board what Roy has said then he can make a half decent career for himself. Going forward he isn't too bad and he'll certainly offer you some width. My concern would be whether he could be consistently good enough in the championship. Also, he was on nowhere near £20,000 at The Hawthorns so he think he'll be getting that anywhere then he can expect a lengthy spell out of football.

I'M HERE!!

Joe Mattock, ahh, well. He was only 19 when he joined us and still rather raw, its possible he has matured with age. Michael Appleton was very complimentary of him when he went and joined up with Portsmouth last season. Unfortunately, the season where he featured for us, we had high expectations for promotion and he was up against a very solid left back in Marek Cech. For the first half of the season, where Mattock had his opportunity, he looked very much a liabilty, was often beaten by any winger who had an ounce of pace. After February, where we faced Bristol City and he put out the worst performance I've ever seen from an Albion player, he hasn't had much game time with us. Danny Hayness who had been injured for a while completely tore him to shreds on live television, it was embarrasing.

We have to remember, when he feautred for us he was playing with a court case hanging over his head which is certainly bound to effect his performances. He got himself into that stupid predicament in the first place and didn't help himself. He became a target of fans from other clubs who would torment him and it appeared to get the better of him, often making rash challenges and not using any sort of footballing brain or intelligence.

However, he was only 19 at the time. Has he improved as he's got older? Quite possibly. He certainly won't get any quicker. On a free, he could be a very good signing and could more than prove to be good back up for you, however, I do think you could possibly get better. Nicky Shorey, although appearing to be in decline could be an alternative option for you.

What you can also hope for is that during his time working with Roy Hodgson, he added elements to the defensive side of his game. It's where every player at our club improved. If he took on board what Roy has said then he can make a half decent career for himself. Going forward he isn't too bad and he'll certainly offer you some width. My concern would be whether he could be consistently good enough in the championship. Also, he was on nowhere near £20,000 at The Hawthorns so he think he'll be getting that anywhere then he can expect a lengthy spell out of football.

Sugar.jpg