Owls v Carlisle 1980

Guest Tractorowl

i was on the lepps that day i remember ripping me best t shirt getting over that bloody fence happy days

You must have gone on fairly early. After A while the stewards just opened the gate near the south stand and everybody walked on. Still got my blade of grass in a little brown envelope! Bloody weird how the place looks so completely different from on the picth - absolutely huge.

I thought that as we play Carlisle tommorrow that I would share these photos of our memorable promotion celebration game against them in 1980.

I remember visiting their ground, in the 70's and walking across a muddy field, fighting against driving rain and then standing on an uncovered terrace. One of my worst football memories. Anyone else there?

Obviously I am not an old pro at this new fangled technology so I hope that these photos 'upload'.

For the youngsters amongst you, the pictures were taken with a pocket Kodak Instamatic Camera with a 110 film. You needed big pockets and on the whole they produced poor pictures.

This game was the last game that I experienced, on my season ticket, as it marked my move to University and move away from home. It was typical of the Owls as I had suffered years of watching mostly rubbish, only for them to be promoted as I moved away. The year I left University, 1983, they went even better and were promoted to the First Division as I moved 200 miles even further from Sheffield. Perhaps I need to emigrate.

If memory serves me well we had well over 30,000 for this game, having achieved promotion the week before losing to Exeter. It was a boring 0-0 draw but still a fantastic atmosphere and one of those treasured memories of the 1979 - 1980 season.

post-16389-0-94516300-1334940619_thumb.j

post-16389-0-29937100-1334940651_thumb.j

post-16389-0-10365400-1334940671_thumb.j

TractorOwl - these photos are superb !

Thank you for posting - great post !

Owlstalk Shop

great pitures my friend, i must be on them somewhere as i was in the north stand but ended up on the pitch at the final whistle

we had been to exeter the week before and i remember the team walking down the tunnel as we had lost then they heard we had been promoted and came running back out to the wednesday fans, happy days

I thought that as we play Carlisle tommorrow that I would share these photos of our memorable promotion celebration game against them in 1980.

I remember visiting their ground, in the 70's and walking across a muddy field, fighting against driving rain and then standing on an uncovered terrace. One of my worst football memories. Anyone else there?

Obviously I am not an old pro at this new fangled technology so I hope that these photos 'upload'.

For the youngsters amongst you, the pictures were taken with a pocket Kodak Instamatic Camera with a 110 film. You needed big pockets and on the whole they produced poor pictures.

This game was the last game that I experienced, on my season ticket, as it marked my move to University and move away from home. It was typical of the Owls as I had suffered years of watching mostly rubbish, only for them to be promoted as I moved away. The year I left University, 1983, they went even better and were promoted to the First Division as I moved 200 miles even further from Sheffield. Perhaps I need to emigrate.

If memory serves me well we had well over 30,000 for this game, having achieved promotion the week before losing to Exeter. It was a boring 0-0 draw but still a fantastic atmosphere and one of those treasured memories of the 1979 - 1980 season.

post-16389-0-94516300-1334940619_thumb.j

post-16389-0-29937100-1334940651_thumb.j

post-16389-0-10365400-1334940671_thumb.j

What a great post! Everyone of us has had our Wednesday magic moments in one way or another! Let's hope we'll have another moment to remember in the near future

Hi, I saw this thread and had to post my picture from that day, I was 10 and me and mi dad went on the pitch. Seems strange that I'm now 10 years older now than my old man was then.. I'm the one in the designer yellow cagoule.

1980.jpg

Hi, I saw this thread and had to post my picture from that day, I was 10 and me and mi dad went on the pitch. Seems strange that I'm now 10 years older now than my old man was then.. I'm the one in the designer yellow cagoule.

1980.jpg

them were t'days! standing in the lep triangle upper, flares and all! oh the memories come flooding back - great pic thanks for sharing

1980.jpg

Is that your dad, stood to your right? Spitting image of my old mate Steve Holmes, who I lost contact with in the late 60's when he cleared off on his travels.

This photo has aleady been posted on the 'after Wycombe photo thread' but thought it was worth posting again.

Taken from the same seat, R 34 Seat 92 in the North, 32 years apart. 1980 and 2102.

Time flies. This season was the start of our asendancy over Utd that lasted 20 years, I believe they went down the following year, never reocovering from us going up.

Hope history repeats itself.

Tim

post-15765-0-91166300-1342905860_thumb.j

• Like 1

My first game. Went on the Lepp with my dad. Remember bits of it but not much, mainly the pitch invasion and setting off from home. Can't remember any of the actual football that was played.

...... there wasn't any football played! most boring 0-0 ever,don't think either team even made a chance but promotion was secured!

Is that your dad, stood to your right? Spitting image of my old mate Steve Holmes, who I lost contact with in the late 60's when he cleared off on his travels.

You had a mate?

Cracking thread though, and is it just me or does the Lepp triangle look way bigger and classier unseated?

Used to stand there in the early days, '79-81 before moving on to the South 82-83, then Kop 84-2006 and now the North 2007-present.

I've just realised, i'm going round in bleedin' circles :st2: