Owls v Carlisle 1980

Guest Tractorowl

Guest Tractorowl

I thought that as we play Carlisle tommorrow that I would share these photos of our memorable promotion celebration game against them in 1980.

I remember visiting their ground, in the 70's and walking across a muddy field, fighting against driving rain and then standing on an uncovered terrace. One of my worst football memories. Anyone else there?

Obviously I am not an old pro at this new fangled technology so I hope that these photos 'upload'.

For the youngsters amongst you, the pictures were taken with a pocket Kodak Instamatic Camera with a 110 film. You needed big pockets and on the whole they produced poor pictures.

This game was the last game that I experienced, on my season ticket, as it marked my move to University and move away from home. It was typical of the Owls as I had suffered years of watching mostly rubbish, only for them to be promoted as I moved away. The year I left University, 1983, they went even better and were promoted to the First Division as I moved 200 miles even further from Sheffield. Perhaps I need to emigrate.

If memory serves me well we had well over 30,000 for this game, having achieved promotion the week before losing to Exeter. It was a boring 0-0 draw but still a fantastic atmosphere and one of those treasured memories of the 1979 - 1980 season.

post-16389-0-94516300-1334940619_thumb.j

post-16389-0-29937100-1334940651_thumb.j

post-16389-0-10365400-1334940671_thumb.j

Guest Briscoe Inferno

A truly fantastic day....

You must have been sat just behind us just above gangway J...

Edited by Briscoe Inferno

i think the crowd that day was 32 or 33 thousand

the programme for that game is rare because the printers where on strike and we had to make do with a black and white rush job

Northends the printers went on strike, so the club printed a makeshift programme, only 2000 made ,just like the teamsheet that used to be printed for the reserves, i've got one

Brings back great memories,I was sat at front of south right next to our dugout.with about 15 mins to go we had to move back about 5 rows because everyone was coming to the front to get on the pitch.

This was my last match with my dad who sadly passed away a few weeks later

Guest Tractorowl

I seem to remember that we were politely asked not to go on the pitch. Me, being a good lad, stayed at the back and watched.Is it my rose tinted specs or were the stewards and safety officials better at applying common sense those days (I sound like my dad)? This was just enthusiasm and actually prevented trouble especially, when you consider that we had just come out of a decade marked by hooliganism.

I did use Gangway J, but on the day went and sat with some schoolmates at the back. My ticket was nearer the front.

Hopefully a good result tommorrow as I cannot make it. I used up my free pass out from the mrs last week for the Colchester trip. Will be there for Wycombe.

I thought that as we play Carlisle tommorrow that I would share these photos of our memorable promotion celebration game against them in 1980.

I remember visiting their ground, in the 70's and walking across a muddy field, fighting against driving rain and then standing on an uncovered terrace. One of my worst football memories. Anyone else there?

Obviously I am not an old pro at this new fangled technology so I hope that these photos 'upload'.

For the youngsters amongst you, the pictures were taken with a pocket Kodak Instamatic Camera with a 110 film. You needed big pockets and on the whole they produced poor pictures.

This game was the last game that I experienced, on my season ticket, as it marked my move to University and move away from home. It was typical of the Owls as I had suffered years of watching mostly rubbish, only for them to be promoted as I moved away. The year I left University, 1983, they went even better and were promoted to the First Division as I moved 200 miles even further from Sheffield. Perhaps I need to emigrate.

If memory serves me well we had well over 30,000 for this game, having achieved promotion the week before losing to Exeter. It was a boring 0-0 draw but still a fantastic atmosphere and one of those treasured memories of the 1979 - 1980 season.

post-16389-0-94516300-1334940619_thumb.j

post-16389-0-29937100-1334940651_thumb.j

post-16389-0-10365400-1334940671_thumb.j

brilliant post mate. This was the first ever game I went to watch. Went with my dad and grandad (my grandad was at Wembley in 1935 to see us win the FA Cup). Ended up in the Leppings Lane end! Great memories

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I was in that crowd on the pitch, only time I have ever run onto the pitch, with my brothers too, never been so excited,,, wonderful day!!

What a truly memorable day, I remember getting on the pitch at the end of the match and looking towards the Kop, it looked so good. What a amazing day. Me and my mates walked back to Sheffield singing. Great expectation came from that promotion, 32 years have now passed, but It is still wonderful being a Wednesdayite, My son is now enjoying the same expectations. UTO

My mate and I ran across the pitch from the North stand at full time. We scrambled up the south stand to get close to Jack and the players. At the time, the south stand had corridors between the lower and upper sections which were quite a drop from the seats. I remember people swaying towards Jack and nearly falling over the edge. It was very frightening and clearly shook Jack up. When the swaying had stopped, I heard him tell us we were 'the best fans in the world'.

To save queueing to get out, my mate hung over the edge and jumped down into the corridor...and landed on somebody's back. Fortunately, the guy he landed on wasn't hurt but as you can imagine, he wasn't happy and the air turned blue.

Fantastic photo's there must have been 18,000 on he kop, thats where I was then later on the pitch, great times lets hope the youth of today can experience those times again. I've 2 lads who are 19 & 17 and apart from one playoff final have suffered

badly watching wednesday. There first season tickets were the year we got relegated from the prem but to there credit love them as much as me and think this is the best season ever, lets hope for all our fanbase the good times are returning.