Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

I was young at the time, but vaguely remember him playing a blinder against Liverpool and scoring. That might have been his last game.

I think he got 4 goals from 9 starts, and not that many sub appearances, which isn't such a bad record.

In truth, half of his games for us he wasn't so great - but the other half (well, the home games anyway) he looked at least promising and once or twice even excellent.

That Liverpool game I remember and he did play well (and score). I don't think it will have been his last game for us, because at some point I remember him coming on as a sub only to get subbed himself about half an hour later.

Pleat should have given him longer, though I suppose in his defence, he saw an opportunity to receive more than he'd paid for a player who had mostly been struggling, and so took that rather than risk him rotting away at Hillsborough and end up being worthless.

Carlton Palmer to Leeds.

we replaced him with ....Klas Ingresson who weren't fit to lace his boots. Were never quite the same after that.

True.

Ingesson should have been a fantastic replacement for him after he'd starred in Sweden's third place finish in World Cup '94.

Distraught as I was about Palmer leaving I was chuffed that we were bringing someone in who I'd just spent a month watching him put in some very Palmer-like performances on the world stage.

He was a huge disappointment though. Mind you, we sold him right after he'd managed to hit some form for us playing a few games as centre back.

Guest SnookerOwl

Some absolute terrible blunders mentioned in this thread, which makes for painful reading, but I think with our current chairman and manager, these type of shocking feck ups will be a thing of the past.

Guest llshibby

Back in the day, I remember seeing on Ceefax page 312 that we had signed Kovacevic and Stefanovic. Pleat's quote was something along the lines of: "One is 6ft 2 and one is 6ft 1, one is 21 and one is 22."

Pleat = All-time bellend

Agree about Di Canio and Emerson Thome.

I'd also add Darko Kovacevic into the mix. He seemed absolutely fine, not amazing but still worth keeping. We sold him for some measley sum, then a few years later he's signing for Juventus for £15m.

One of many shambolic decisions that led us to 10 years of misery.

I remember Roland Nilson being allowed to move back home, I think for free, because his wife was homesick.

That always sticks in my memory.

Who did we get in to replace Roland? That's the key for me... replacing quality players with tosh... might not have been the case but if it wasn't then it's bucking the trend over the last 20yrs

Has to be Di Canio.

Wasn't the fee around 1 milliion?

In the 90s we had the chance to establish ourselves as a proper Premiership force, at the very least a team who would finish solidly mid-table/top half most seasons.

Instead, due to lousy management both on and off the pitch, we fvcked it up right royally and can attribute much of it to why we ply out trade in the third tier of English football.

Thank christ that Milan came in.

Edited by SiJ