Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

Warhurst wa broke his legs jsut a couple of months after leaving us and was never the same again.

For me the worst was Emerson Thome purely because of the circumstances surrounding it. If I recall correctly it went something like this:

1) That summer (99) we had reportedly turned down c5 million for him from Sunderland.

2) Two months into the season he is transferred as an emergency measure to get funds to pay the bank and goes to Chelsea for c 2 million.

3) At Christmas Richards get's his Premier League Chairman's role with considerable backing form Ken Bates (then Chelsea chairman).

4) Shortly after Chelsea sell Thome to Sunderland for (yes you've guessed it) 5 million.

And people wondered how we managed to accumulate 30 million of debt!

Thome and Walker were immense. Such a classy centre back.

Most of our transfer policy back then was naive. Say a lot about that the old board, out of date business men who thought they knew it all.

Thome and Walker were immense. Such a classy centre back.

Most of our transfer policy back then was naive. Say a lot about that the old board, out of date business men who thought they knew it all.

Spot on.

These dinosaurs were by and large out of football by the 90s, yet we had ours right up till 2010!

Edited by SiJ

Guest SnookerOwl

that tugger pleat selling Hirsty yo try and prove a point, that worked out well for him didnt it

Hirsty, (as much as it pains me to say it) was WAY past it by the time Pleat sold him, and he only did a season at Southampton before having to retire :sad:

But yeah Pleat was a complete disaster of a manager, and truly helped to shaft us in the best possible way. All the other managers faced an impossible task of picking up the pieces. The club was being run by a set of clueless muppets, who put us in the position we're in today.

Its proving to be a LONG road back, but we're on the right path now, and we just have to be patient and enjoy the ride lol

Edited by SnookerOwl

how many did he get for southampton in that half a season? how much did kevin davis come along playing alongside him.

pleat did it to try and prove a point, big ron was back here a couple of weeks after, im still convinced that if Hirsty had still been here when ron came back we would have seen something like the best out of him again

giz a clue then..

The rumour doing the rounds at the time was that it was Roland who was doing the missus of his next door neighbour - a United player who is now running their academy. Who knows though?

Who did we get in to replace Roland? That's the key for me... replacing quality players with tosh... might not have been the case but if it wasn't then it's bucking the trend over the last 20yrs

I want to say Dan Petrescu, but I have a feeling i'm missing a few years in between.

Guest wilyfox

has to be Paolo di Canio. signed for £4.2 - 4.5m, sold for £1.7m 18 months later; we were royally shafted! pushing the ref was wrong, but i don't see why that takes £2..5m+ off his valuation as a player.

has to be Paolo di Canio. signed for £4.2 - 4.5m, sold for £1.7m 18 months later; we were royally shafted! pushing the ref was wrong, but i don't see why that takes £2..5m+ off his valuation as a player.

Yes but wasn't Regi Blinker valued at £3m in this transaction. Real fee was probably closer to £2m. Di Canio in my opinion wasn't totally innocent in his actions on the day and subsequently. You wonder why a player so outrageously gifted did so little at the very, very top or international scene. Cantona was similar but after helping Leeds to becoming champions he became a Manure legend. Di Canio has no such claims.

If a club is desperate to sell, we were lucky to get that much for him.

The fans were royally shafted by power hungry imbeciles running the club.

would be hard to argue against di canio pay 4 million and then give him away for peanuts............sadly its always been the wednesday way to sell our best players quixall ,kay ,mccalliog .eustace from years ago stand out to more modern times like thome ,.bougheera ,di canio and the like .

Kay and Quixall were both before my time. But both McCalliog and Eustace were simply determined to get away; after Alan Brown left as manager you could see that the club was disintegrating. One transfer which does stick in my mind, however, was David Sunley. He really burst on the scene in 1972/73.....anyone else at Selhurst Park that night for the Palace cup replay....and he was being talked about as a £100,000 plus player with Leeds interested in him. But he went downhill so rapidly (not surprising in such a crap team) and I think he went to somewhere like Hull for £10,000 or so. I did see him in about 1979 playing for Stockport at Wimbledon....in midfield! He was rubbish.

Guest SnookerOwl

how many did he get for southampton in that half a season? how much did kevin davis come along playing alongside him.

pleat did it to try and prove a point, big ron was back here a couple of weeks after, im still convinced that if Hirsty had still been here when ron came back we would have seen something like the best out of him again

He scored 9 in 28 starts for Saints.

Pleat didn't like Hirsty or Sheridan, he thought both were big time Charlies living off past glories.

Big Ron may have got more out of Hirsty, we'll never know. His problem was he'd lost his sharpness and was carrying some serious timber, which slowed him down a bit!

Guest wilyfox

Yes but wasn't Regi Blinker valued at £3m in this transaction. Real fee was probably closer to £2m. Di Canio in my opinion wasn't totally innocent in his actions on the day and subsequently. You wonder why a player so outrageously gifted did so little at the very, very top or international scene. Cantona was similar but after helping Leeds to becoming champions he became a Manure legend. Di Canio has no such claims.

no, the fee stated at the time was £3m + Regi Blinker (rated @ £1.5m)

on another note, i was also very sad to see Bart-Williams depart for Forest; he was one of my fave players.

I was there that night. Arguably the best away day/night ever. Brian Joicey hat trick (although one had a whiff of an own goal). Worked with Brian years later.... what a gent. Used to wee wee him off by telling him that he was my schoolboy hero.... I'm not so young you see!

no, the fee stated at the time was £3m + Regi Blinker (rated @ £1.5m)

on another note, i was also very sad to see Bart-Williams depart for Forest; he was one of my fave players.

Yes you're right now I think on. Mind you Regi wasn't woth £150 grand never mind £1.5m. One great goal when he joined us and shybo after that.