Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

Guest everydays wednesday

Anyone remember darko kovicavic? was kack for us so we moved him on to a spanish team but the board at the time failed to put a sell on fee into the contract ended up moving to juve for about £20m

we were run by chimps back then!

Guest SnookerOwl

Anyone remember darko kovicavic? was kack for us so we moved him on to a spanish team but the board at the time failed to put a sell on fee into the contract ended up moving to juve for about £20m

You've obviously not read this thread! :rolleyes:

Guest SnookerOwl

Where is owlstalk admin, someone needs to say "Owen Morrison" !

He had potential to be a good player.

Was a wee pipe head though.

I was there that night. Arguably the best away day/night ever. Brian Joicey hat trick (although one had a whiff of an own goal). Worked with Brian years later.... what a gent. Used to wee wee him off by telling him that he was my schoolboy hero.... I'm not so young you see!

No.....that was the Villa Park game when we won 3-2. I meant the first replay at Palace.....they scored about five from the end and Sunley equalised in the last minute. Remember Sunley was superb that night.

Who did we get in to replace Roland? That's the key for me... replacing quality players with tosh... might not have been the case but if it wasn't then it's bucking the trend over the last 20yrs

Peter atherton wasn't it? Or Dan petrescu maybe

He wasn't even that poo at Hillsborough IMO. Awful sale

Quality Players & Managers we have lost needlessly in my life as an Owl. ( players we did n't push boat out for)

Albert Quixall; Harry Catterick;(Joe Baker) Tony Kay; Wilf Smith; Peter Eustace; John Quinn; Ian Knight; Dalian Atkinson; Ron Atkinson(twice); (Eric Cantona); Roland Nilsson; Siggi Jonsson

Sorry but I have only dealt with what I consider to be an absoloute elite in quality.

Guest everydays wednesday

He wasn't even that poo at Hillsborough IMO. Awful sale

his move from red star to us was named tenth on 50 worst premier league transfers? He scored 4 in 16 starts? Dont know how they come to that conclusion?

Guest SnookerOwl

I think selling Paul Warhurst and keeping Hirsty was a mistake thats been overlooked.

Bad management with this one. Warhurst had proved to everybody that he deserved to be No.1 choice up front, from the incredible amount of goals he scored when Hirst was out injured. Francis however was stubborn of his love for Hirst, which cost us winning the FA cup IMO.

I'm as big of fan of Hirst as anybody, but Warhurst was the man that season (92-93), and should have started up front in the FA cup final. Even though Hirst scored, he was way off the pace in the first half.

The following season Francis started with Hirst & Warhurst up front together, and gave them around 8 games together, before bringing Bright back in.

Maybe they should have been given longer to gel?

We were never gonna sell Hirst, because we all hoped (or believed) he would get back to his best, but it never happened. Blackburn then went on to play Warhurst in centre midfield.

He could have been a goalscoring legend for us if he'd stayed - who knows??

Edited by SnookerOwl

Quality Players & Managers we have lost needlessly in my life as an Owl. ( players we did n't push boat out for)

Albert Quixall; Harry Catterick;(Joe Baker) Tony Kay; Wilf Smith; Peter Eustace; John Quinn; Ian Knight; Dalian Atkinson; Ron Atkinson(twice); (Eric Cantona); Roland Nilsson; Siggi Jonsson

Sorry but I have only dealt with what I consider to be an absoloute elite in quality.

Very good list Nev.

Cannot agree about Ian Knight though, not doubting his talent, but he was done after that scummy tvvat bennett did him.

You cannot blame the club for that.

I was there that night. Arguably the best away day/night ever. Brian Joicey hat trick (although one had a whiff of an own goal). Worked with Brian years later.... what a gent. Used to wee wee him off by telling him that he was my schoolboy hero.... I'm not so young you see!

lol, same here! we played in the same sunday cricket team for our local pub. top man, he was my 1st wednesday hero (along with the late peter springett,who also played ckicket with us)

I think I remember things differently to some of you.

Di Canio had to go, the only mistake was accepting Wet Ham's first offer which Redknapp has since admitted was a joke offer to see if we were interested in selling and he never expected to get Di Canio for that price.

As for Francis trying to break up Atkinson's team...wtf, Trevor took over in the summer before the 91/92 season and didn't start to dismantle the team until the summer after the 92/93 season, so basically he kept more or less the bones of Ron's team for two seasons and then decided he wanted to stamp his authority :blink:.