My quest - Phil King

Guest moonraker

No...he will be doing commentary on Swindons matches i believe.

He is well liked in Swindon and does loads for charity also.

And you Owls......you will be most welcome to pop in again sometime next season :cool:

Is Phil King one of the best full backs to represent us?

I only started watching in 1989 and upto now I can't think of any players to lace his boots.

He wasn't as good as Rolly and he wasn't as good as Irish - but he did form a really formidale left side partnership with Irish where they would both keep swapping positions and we were just so solid - top player and a top fella.

I remember the Swindon game when all the Owls descended on his boozer - it was like The Life of Brain and Pied Piper rolled into one and he was loving it - magical day

Not having a pop at Worthy but King was a better all round player IMHO.

His defensive skills were on a par with NW,s but his attacking play/crossing/distribution skills were much better.....................i know Worthy is held in great affection on here and rightly so , but i always thought he was a bit limited as a player whereas Kings game was more expansive.

In my 45 years of watching the Owls , out of all the players i,ve seen i would have to say PK would get the left back berth in my all time Wednesday 11....................also had the foresight to offer Shezza (ahem) a "stiff" brandy after his car hit that lampost that time!!

I wonder if Hepper's is going to re-visit (it's nearly a year ago now since the OP first started after his last visit)

He should be better prepared this time round to know where the Dolphin's located.

You never know ..... the bird behind the bar might even have some dentures & Kingy may actally be in !

We called in and met Phil during last season's game at Swindon. Unsurprisingly the place was full of Wednesdayites, managed a few minutes chatting to him, he's a top bloke.

Can remember in2003 when we played em on first day, we drank with loads of Wednesday in his pub and just before kick off he came outside, kiss his ticket and led us all to the ground! Surreal moment, think it was the hottest day ever on record and it was actually recorded about 20miles away! Intense heat, people were passing out

Can remember in2003 when we played em on first day, we drank with loads of Wednesday in his pub and just before kick off he came outside, kiss his ticket and led us all to the ground! Surreal moment, think it was the hottest day ever on record and it was actually recorded about 20miles away! Intense heat, people were passing out

I remember that game also, boiling hot, stewards throwing ice cubes to us near the front to help cool us down, - i was showered in beer instead however - then looking to the right to see the Pide Piper aka Kingy leading shed loads of Wednesdayites into the ground. I think the game was delayed slightly due to the influx of owls. Great game! I love away days..FACT!