Can JJ and Marshall play in the same team?

With the impressive displays Marshall has been putting in and thoughts of him improving game by game, it's quite a mouth watering prospect having him and JJ playing in the same team.

My question is, will we be able to play will both of them in that team. For the transfer dealings over the summer it looks like this was part of Gary's plan with the purchase of Samedo and Prutton, who were described as more holding midfielders. Defensively we have been letting in a few goals recently, which made me think about the strength of our defence and our ability at the moment to accommodate them both at the same time. We already have Prutton and Samedo doing an excellent job in midfield. If we play with 2 wingers, would it simply be a matter of say Prutton hanging back a little more and being more defensive (covering) or will he be required to be more box to box. Will we just attack with 4 players (2 wingers, 2 attackers) each time? Would Lines be more suitable to this type of role than Prutton to give us the best options / the best balance?

Guest intercity0wl

With the impressive displays Marshall has been putting in and thoughts of him improving game by game, it's quite a mouth watering prospect having him and JJ playing in the same team.

My question is, will we be able to play will both of them in that team. For the transfer dealings over the summer it looks like this was part of Gary's plan with the purchase of Samedo and Prutton, who were described as more holding midfielders. Defensively we have been letting in a few goals recently, which made me think about the strength of our defence and our ability at the moment to accommodate them both at the same time. We already have Prutton and Samedo doing an excellent job in midfield. If we play with 2 wingers, would it simply be a matter of say Prutton hanging back a little more and being more defensive (covering) or will he be required to be more box to box. Will we just attack with 4 players (2 wingers, 2 attackers) each time? Would Lines be more suitable to this type of role than Prutton to give us the best options / the best balance?

I really cannot wait to find out.

Edited by intercity0wl

The refreshing thing is, after the improvements seen in both Sedgwick and Palmer, we won't be tempted to rush Johnson back only half fit (ala O'Grady).

We can afford to wait, and get him right, 100% right.

The thought of Marshall and Johnson in the same side is frightning!

Go for it. Score more goals than the opposition. Best form of defense is attack and all that. Maybe play 1 up front and a Lines type just behind.

Prutton and Semedo offer the solid base to allow us to play JJ and Marshall in the same side.

Certainly at home I'd expect to see both starting every game (JJ being fit of course).

Perhaps away from home we might adopt a more pragmatic approach, but you could still include both in a 451/433 formation.

Really hoping JJ is back for the Charlton game, think the extra width and pace could turn around our poor start on the road.

Would stop teams fullbacks pushing up on us so much and tip the balance in our favour.Make us much more of a counter attacking force away from fortress Hillsborough.

Would also make the bench options stronger

They can definitely play together and for once it will have teams worrying about us.I cant see many teams wanting to really bomb forward and leave gaps knowing we have the pace of JJ and the pace and skill of Marshall.

Both players in the side should make us far better away from home for the above reason.

Edited by curren

---------------Batth------Jones-----------------

Buxton-----------------------------------Bennett

-------------Prutton-----Semedo----------------

JJ--------------------------------------Marshall

------------Madine-------Morrison---------------

Thats how i see it shaping up so far, the centre defenders and midfielders holding deep, allowing the fullbacks and wingers to push forward. (substitute any of the names in there, COG for morrison etc). but with two holding central midfielders, we need to have two attacking wingers.

Take out a striker and play Lines in front of prutton and semedo as another option.

Guest wilyfox

when JJ is fit, i see Marshall switching to the right; he can cross with either foot but i'm led to believe he is right-footed. JJ's strongest asset is cutting in from the left and taking a shot; can't see Megson not using that.

---------------Batth------Jones-----------------

Buxton-----------------------------------Bennett

-------------Prutton-----Semedo----------------

JJ--------------------------------------Marshall

------------Madine-------Morrison---------------

Thats how i see it shaping up so far, the centre defenders and midfielders holding deep, allowing the fullbacks and wingers to push forward. (substitute any of the names in there, COG for morrison etc). but with two holding central midfielders, we need to have two attacking wingers.

TAKE OUT A STRIKER AND PLAY LINES IN FRONT OF PRUTTON AND SEMEDO

I can see this formation in away games with JJ and Marshall supplying the lone striker and Lines in the hole. Either way it looks quote mouthwatering and that's without any more possible signings :smile:

The reason why I threw the question out there is, when you look at the away games against Bournemouth and Bury. Teams were looking to get in behind us. We don't have a huge amount of pace at the back and if you have two wingers bombing forwards all the time, our full backs might get exposed a bit more. Reports suggested that Bennett struggled at times against a smaller / nippy winger when 1 v 1 against Bournemouth.

I can see playing two exciting wingers at home being great to watch, but it possibly means that Prutton and Samedo would be staying deeper (especially Prutton). Will this invite teams on to us more re: the counter attack when a move breaks down? Would Prutton and Samedo get overrun in the middle?

I see the logic in Gary's thinking in that if you pack the middle / have a strong block in the middle it forces attackers out wide and hopefully when they put the crosses in were more likely to be able to cut them out. I think, most people acknowledge last season, too many teams went straight through us. The success will be on how good we are at stopping the delivery into our box. Will teams simply play small fast wingers against us to combat this?

Going to be fascinating to find out ...... can't wait!!!

Edited by Maple Staple