Can JJ and Marshall play in the same team?

With the impressive displays Marshall has been putting in and thoughts of him improving game by game, it's quite a mouth watering prospect having him and JJ playing in the same team.

My question is, will we be able to play will both of them in that team. For the transfer dealings over the summer it looks like this was part of Gary's plan with the purchase of Samedo and Prutton, who were described as more holding midfielders. Defensively we have been letting in a few goals recently, which made me think about the strength of our defence and our ability at the moment to accommodate them both at the same time. We already have Prutton and Samedo doing an excellent job in midfield. If we play with 2 wingers, would it simply be a matter of say Prutton hanging back a little more and being more defensive (covering) or will he be required to be more box to box. Will we just attack with 4 players (2 wingers, 2 attackers) each time? Would Lines be more suitable to this type of role than Prutton to give us the best options / the best balance?

It'll be interesting, and quite frustrating to see two wingers, one of whom beats a man with pace, and trickery, AND also has an end product, and the winger on the other side who has pace to spare, but no final ball.

Guest Triplej2

Call me old fashioned but a straight 4-4-2 would seem the perfect set up to me home and away.

weaver

Buxton Batth Jones Bennett

Marshall Prutton Semedo JJ

Morrison madine/COG

With true wingers like those 2 I don't think we need to use wingbacks, Semedo can sit deeper and Prutton can join in attacks, Simples!

Guest TonyOwl88

I'd like to think that we could play them both at once. Semedo and Prutton put a lot of work into covering for other players and breaking up opposition play so I would like to think Marshall and JJ could bomb forward without hurting us too much defencively. Maybe it ultimately comes down to whether or not Megga thinks they will put the effort in to bombing back if the attack breaks down.

If we can play them both, we will be a real threat to ALL defences in the league.

JJ and Marshall in the same team could be frightening at this level, could also be very entertaining to watch.

Both are direct and can go past players with ease, both can also swap sides if required which is important.

We will be a dangerous side if we have both of them on the field at the same time, pace on either side, with a solid central pair, that was what got Swansea promoted last year, and they played some nice stuff with it too.

when JJ is fit, i see Marshall switching to the right; he can cross with either foot but i'm led to believe he is right-footed. JJ's strongest asset is cutting in from the left and taking a shot; can't see Megson not using that.

Yep totally agree with that. For me Marshall's shown he can play in either wing position, after all he scored with his so called 'weaker foot' on saturday. Therefore it's all about JJ and for me there's no doubt that he's better on the left where he can run at players, cut in and play people in and take shots...much rather have him there than on the right with his 'crossing ability' lol.

Edited by swfc-dan