On way back & player ratings

Weaver 7

Bennett 6

Jones 7

Batth 6

Buxton 9 (carrying the defence)

Marshall 8

Semedo 10 MOM (did not put a foot wrong all game. His confidence on the ball is amazing and he gets out of some tight situations. Great signing.

Prutton 7

Palmer 6

Morrison 7

Madine 9

Subs

Lines 7

O'Connor 5

Guest Triplej2

i'm getting more concerned about baath's lack of a tackle when 1 on 1 on the edge of our box...looked like exeter all over again...

and i realise that megson doesn't have a full complement of forwards yet, but to take morrison off and go one up at home???

weaver7 great save when needed...

buxton8 top performance

bennett7

baath7

jones7

palmer7

semedo7

prutton8 class all rounder

marshall8 class act

madine8

morrison7

I'd reverse the Prutton ans semedo scores, Semedo for me deserved an 8 even a 9.

Guest maltaowl

weaver 7 good and solid as usual. Save in 2nd half top draw

buxton 8 Excellant performance again. Good going forward and worked hard defensivly

bennett 7 Solid if not spectacular

baath 7 Not as good as last week but another decent shift

jones 6 Looked unsteady at times, sometimes carved open by scunny and played a few loose balls. Experience helps though

palmer 8 Great performance, works hard with the bit of flare we need on occasions

semedo 8 Love this player. Does the dirty work, never stops running and keeps the ball which is what have needed for years

prutton 8 class all rounder with great attacking ability

marshall 8 Super in first half but tired in 2nd. Think he will be fantastic once 100%

madine 9 Fantastic play all round. One most balls, held possesion, chased all day and got 2 goals.

morrison 7 Did the usual

I thought it was definitely value for money today.

Totally wide open and in the end either team could have taken the points.

At 1-0, Sflaphorpe go up the pitch have a penalty rescinded, strike the post and head wide at the far post. We go up the pitch make it 2-0 and then have chances ourselves; Morrisons curling effort, Prutton run and ball across.

But at 2-0 it just never seemed sealed and as the second half began we looked so sluggish. They always had a goal in them and at 2-1 fearing the worse, Madine makes it 3-1 and from there I'm expecting us to go on, to use the confidence to finish them and give this team that 'good hiding' that O'Connor mentioned in the week that a team would get.

Sadly the lack of choice means we drop to what seemed to be 4-1-4-1 and sit deep, 3-2 (cracking goal) but confidence then seemed sapped. Then in the spirit of the game, Madine gets a through ball from Prutton and just puts it over for what would have settled the ground.

In the end, I thought it a little concerning that we are hiding in the corner flag at 87 minutes in our own ground against Sflaphorpe; a team who (bar three or four players) had played 120 minutes on THURSDAY. I could understand such tactic away or the likes but this was a little worrying. In the end a win is a win and three points is a step closer to the Championship, but from an electric first half display to observing us cling on to a narrow lead put a slight damper on the party atmosphere of the opening 17 minutes provided.

Stunning, absolutely stunning, save from Weaver at 3-2 by the way.

We probably got away with it in the end but I'll take that every week, plenty in the first half to make you think we are getting there but then in second half we were hanging on.

Scunny are in a false position IMO and it probably helped us that they had the 120 mins on thurs and lost. Still early days and with a bit of confidence and some more pace we could build a solid foundation to make a real challenge.

Please let there be some good news on transfers by next weds.

Weaver 7 - Made a crucial save at 3-2, but other than that didn't really have a great deal to do.

Buxton 8 - Brilliant...again. I said it last week, but I'll say it again, he is now our most important player. Offers so much, and is unbelievably consistent. He remains the best signing of the summer imo.

Jones 7 - For 95% of the time - solid. But he was at fault for the second goal, coming for a header that he was never going to win.

Batth 7 - Similar to Jones really, solid for much of the game, but his distribution is poor, and his slip and dilly-dallying in the first half could have cost us dear.

Bennett 7 - Looked sound enough. No frills, but got the job done.

Palmer 7 - Still not convinced he's a winger, but he IS improving, and it's clear his confidence is growing.

Semedo 9 - Superb. Man of the Match without a shadow of doubt. Tireless, tenacious, and today we finally saw that he is actually hugely talented on the ball as well.

Prutton 7 - Did what was required in the middle of the park. Made some crucial tackles, and broke play up. Overshadowed by Semedo today, but my God, these two are incomparable to JOC and Potter.

Marshall 8 - Quality. Sheer quality. This kid is going to be a star. Shame we'll have no chance of ever signing him permanently. Great goal, continuous threat...and he's still regaining his fitness.

Morrison 7 - Worked hard once again, and was encouraged to see him running the channels more often. Strange substitution, which seemed to hamper us a little.

Madine 8 - Delighted for the lad. I've maintained throughout that both Madine and Morrison have goals in them, and Madine is starting to prove that. Growing in confidence, and was a real menace today.

Best performance of the season so far, but there's still plenty of improvement to be had. It's encouraging that our performances (at home anyway) seem to be gradually improving. We are starting to look a lot more of a threat going forward, just need to cut out the silly errors at the back, and I might be convinced that we could impose ourselves in this division. Big test next Monday against Charlton...a positive result there, and the squad might start to believe in themselves.

I thought it was definitely value for money today.

Totally wide open and in the end either team could have taken the points.

At 1-0, Sflaphorpe go up the pitch have a penalty rescinded, strike the post and head wide at the far post. We go up the pitch make it 2-0 and then have chances ourselves; Morrisons curling effort, Prutton run and ball across.

But at 2-0 it just never seemed sealed and as the second half began we looked so sluggish. They always had a goal in them and at 2-1 fearing the worse, Madine makes it 3-1 and from there I'm expecting us to go on, to use the confidence to finish them and give this team that 'good hiding' that O'Connor mentioned in the week that a team would get.

Sadly the lack of choice means we drop to what seemed to be 4-1-4-1 and sit deep, 3-2 (cracking goal) but confidence then seemed sapped. Then in the spirit of the game, Madine gets a through ball from Prutton and just puts it over for what would have settled the ground.

In the end, I thought it a little concerning that we are hiding in the corner flag at 87 minutes in our own ground against Sflaphorpe; a team who (bar three or four players) had played 120 minutes on THURSDAY. I could understand such tactic away or the likes but this was a little worrying. In the end a win is a win and three points is a step closer to the Championship, but from an electric first half display to observing us cling on to a narrow lead put a slight damper on the party atmosphere of the opening 17 minutes provided.

Stunning, absolutely stunning, save from Weaver at 3-2 by the way.

Excellent summary.

Weaver 7 - Made a crucial save at 3-2, but other than that didn't really have a great deal to do.

Buxton 8 - Brilliant...again. I said it last week, but I'll say it again, he is now our most important player. Offers so much, and is unbelievably consistent. He remains the best signing of the summer imo.

Jones 7 - For 95% of the time - solid. But he was at fault for the second goal, coming for a header that he was never going to win.

Batth 7 - Similar to Jones really, solid for much of the game, but his distribution is poor, and his slip and dilly-dallying in the first half could have cost us dear.

Bennett 7 - Looked sound enough. No frills, but got the job done.

Palmer 7 - Still not convinced he's a winger, but he IS improving, and it's clear his confidence is growing.

Semedo 9 - Superb. Man of the Match without a shadow of doubt. Tireless, tenacious, and today we finally saw that he is actually hugely talented on the ball as well.

Prutton 7 - Did what was required in the middle of the park. Made some crucial tackles, and broke play up. Overshadowed by Semedo today, but my God, these two are incomparable to JOC and Potter.

Marshall 8 - Quality. Sheer quality. This kid is going to be a star. Shame we'll have no chance of ever signing him permanently. Great goal, continuous threat...and he's still regaining his fitness.

Morrison 7 - Worked hard once again, and was encouraged to see him running the channels more often. Strange substitution, which seemed to hamper us a little.

Madine 8 - Delighted for the lad. I've maintained throughout that both Madine and Morrison have goals in them, and Madine is starting to prove that. Growing in confidence, and was a real menace today.

Best performance of the season so far, but there's still plenty of improvement to be had. It's encouraging that our performances (at home anyway) seem to be gradually improving. We are starting to look a lot more of a threat going forward, just need to cut out the silly errors at the back, and I might be convinced that we could impose ourselves in this division. Big test next Monday against Charlton...a positive result there, and the squad might start to believe in themselves.

Agree with this!

Although Megson doesn't agree.. http://aggbot.com/link.php?id=14648460&r=tw&c=181

Agree with this!

Although Megson doesn't agree.. http://aggbot.com/li...8460&r=tw&c=181

Doesn't surprise me to be honest.

It certainly wasn't a typical Megson performance was it?

I said to my mate half way through the second half, that it looked like Megson had caught "Keeganitis." He soon cured that though by reverting to a 5-man midfield!

A wins a win though...and I'm encouraged by how Megson is shaping us up.

Weaver 7 (Made a great save for that header)

Buxton 8 (Another great run and cross for the goal today. Solid defensively and great attacking down the wing in this league. Good contender for MOM)

Bennett 7 (Reasonably solid)

Jones 6 (Got caught out a few times, I was a little unsure as to why we rushed him back for this game. He's had better games)

Batth 7 (Slightly better than Jones, but has had better games as well)

Palmer 7 (Was surprised with his name in starting line-up as I thought we wouldn't see him for a while after a poor performance earlier on (which Megson did unfairly imo last season). Would have preferred to have seen Sedg on the teamsheet as I am unsure as to why Megson doesn't want to play with two out and out wingers. However, it was one of the best games I have seen him play and I'm glad he started. He isn't a winger, but did very well considering)

Prutton 7 (Very good as per, not quite as good as the high watermark he set earlier on (My MOM for first two home games and many pre-season games). I love his hard-work and his movement and passing just added a nice bit of creativity at times today)

Semedo 8, possibly 9 (Awesome. I turned to my mate and said "What would we do without Semedo?". Class signing)

Marshall 8 (Great first half and faded second half like last week, but that's understandable due to match fitness. Gave Eddie Nolan and their other full-back a real torrid time today first-half. My thought process for the goal: "Great run... should be crossing it... WTF, what a goal")

Morrison 7 (I'm still a little concerned that for Clinton, I see a good performance from him as being due to the battling, work-rate and pressuring he displayed and not for scoring and getting into great positions. Was slightly staggered by his miss for the Madine goal. Felt we missed him up front when we went off though and glad he's working with Madine better)

Madine 9 (Fantastic performance. Got into a good position for the first and was a good finish for the second. Disappointed for him that he couldn't get a hat-trick today. MOM and seemed a lot happier than we've recently been led to believe)

Subs

Lines 7 (Love his deliveries from set-pieces (lot better than Marshall not beating the first man in the first half) and you can tell he has some good passing and vision. Shame we shoe-horned him into the side again)

JOC 6 (Didn't get up to a great deal and I hope I don't have to see him on the wing again)

Overall: Bit sloppy and disappointed with letting Sflaphorpe (who in the second half were pretty decent) back into the game, should have really kept that two goal cushion and not had to take it into the corners near the end. But pleased with three points and good decent attacking play with goals not from set-pieces)

Guest OughtibridgeOwls

Weaver 7- Great save at the end. Only thing he had to do really.

Buxton 7 - Defended well and got forward alot.

Batth 6 - Was one of his off day's today.

Jones 6 - Didnt do much wrong, covered for Batth's mistakes.

Bennett 6 - Didnt do much or get forward.

Palmer 7 - Played very well and linked with Buxton on the right. Look's like he has a very good footballing brain already.

Prutton 7 - Normal service as expected. Tries to get forward when possible too.

Semedo 8 - As normal. Dictated the play and helped the defence out.

Marshall 7/8 - Fast, skillful, good goal. Went a bit quiet in the 2nd half.

Madine 8 - One of his best performance's for Wednesday. Won a bucket load of headers, linked up well with Morrison (At last) and grabbed 2 deserved goals.

Morrison 7 - Linked up well with Madine. Unlucky not to have scored and thought he should have stayed on for a little longer.

Lines 6- Didnt do much. Dont think he's as affective playing behind Madine. Good with set pieces though.

O'Connor 6 - Brilliant player to bring on in the situation and did what he does best.

It was Batth

Overall 3-2 flattered Sflaphorpe, .

You reckon?....I think 3-2 flattered us

Guest Triplej2

In hindsight I think scunny's goals were incidental. We were the better side, had more purpose and the game wasn't particularly close, I thought 4 0r 5 -2 would have been fair and if we hadn't have invited them on they probably would have only scored 1. They moved nicely at times but nothing special.

Really enjoyed yesterday, an open game of football with both teams passing it round and going for a win. Deserved victory for us, though we made it harder work than it should have been with some iffy defending, still, best game so far this season imo.

Weaver - 7 - one very good save, but not that busy despite their frontline causing us a lot of problems.

Cafu - 10 (MoM) - impeccable defensively, and not often you see an opposing team doubling up on a full back :biggrin:

Baath - 7 - below his previous standards, but easy to forget how young he is and he still looked solid

Jones - 6 - sometimes gets caught when it's played through on the deck, but he's a beast in the air and made a few important interceptions & tackles as well.

Bennett - 6 - would like to see him get forward more, solid defensively tho.

Palmer - 7 - improved as the game went on, but still lots to learn

Prutton - 8 - two superbly timed last ditch tackles in our box first half, composed on the ball. Can't believe this guy's ended up playing in League 1 as he's clearly a class above.

Semedo - 8 - fantastic engine, great ball winner, vital team player

Marshall - 9 - oozes class, looks set to be our best winger we've had since Brunt (granted, that ain't saying much!)

Madine - 9 - prob his best game in blue & white, ran his socks off, a well taken brace and involved in the build-up for the other goal as well. Clearly a confidence player, hope the crowd starts to get behind him more because he could be immense given time and backing.

Morrison - 7 - much improved on last season, ran his socks off too.

Edited by davethemagicweasel

In hindsight I think scunny's goals were incidental. We were the better side, had more purpose and the game wasn't particularly close, I thought 4 0r 5 -2 would have been fair and if we hadn't have invited them on they probably would have only scored 1. They moved nicely at times but nothing special.

if we'd any striker options on the bench we would have won more comfortably

very good performance by us, starting to look like a unit

jj and cog back and we should crack on just fine