Mandaric Confirms Interest in Scotland

Guest JCFC

]

So lets go with what failed us last season shall we? Jason Scotland a player on Premier league wages who is 32 and has a reputation to be a lazy player. Clinton Morrison, Chris Sedgwick, Gary Teale spring to mind.

We do not need 'amazing' young talent, we managed to pick up Whelan and Brunt last time we were in this situation. If the likes of Cody McDonald is being linked with Oldham then to me he is a better option than Scotland.

Not only are we trying to get out of this league we are building for the future, clubs like Norwich did this, Millwall did this, Leeds did this, and likelyhood is Brighton are going to do this. The way of getting out of this league is have a few old heads E.G. Jones and Prutton and mix these with younger players who will gel as a team in the years to come. Just as we did when we got out of this league last time, however we have more of an advantage this time around because we are financially stable.

I'm sick of people saying we just need to get out of this league, rubbish. We need younger talents to cement are future, rather than having to ship in and out, old, living of their reputations veterans every year.

Go on then,who would you realistically like us to sign??We havent the time to buy young players and gamble on them being up to standard.Theres not many Glenn Whelan's about.Milan isnt getting any younger,we need to get out of this division asap then let milan spend his money on the quality that Championship clubs can attract.

Edited by Tudders

Be all and end all it's not going to be easy getting the right players, It all depends on who wants to come,We would all love the best players ,But if they wont come there's nothing we can do about it ,

That said though i can't see millan making the same mistakes as last year when he shelled out the money for the crap ones that Irvine signed,(wages wise)or transfers with some ,Madine and Mellor excluded

Be all and end all it's not going to be easy getting the right players, It all depends on who wants to come,We would all love the best players ,But if they wont come there's nothing we can do about it ,

That said though i can't see millan making the same mistakes as last year when he shelled out the money for the crap ones that Irvine signed,(wages wise)or transfers with some ,Madine and Mellor excluded

well said

Guest foreverSWFC

Go on then,who would you realistically like us to sign??We havent the time to buy young players and gamble on them being up to standard.Theres not many Glenn Whelan's about.Milan isnt getting any younger,we need to get out of this division asap then let milan spend his money on the quality that Championship clubs can attract.

You don't get it. Taking a gamble? It's not taking a gamble buying young players. I think it is more of a gamble bringing in players like Scotland, Teale, Morrison, Jeffers, Sedgwick ETC.

I've found that untried and relatively unknown players are the ones who make names for themselves in this league. Seriously before last season who would have thought a side like Bourenmouth had so many young promising players? Who would have thought Elliott Bennett who was released by Wolves would become arguably the best midfielder outside of the Premier League?

The players are out there, its up to Megson to find them.

]

has a reputation to be a lazy playe

Based on what? I saw pretty much every match he played for Wigan and I wouldn't say he's lazy at all, sure he didn't quite have the quality to succeed at EPL level but he was a trier who didn't give up despite a terrible run of form in front of goal, if he'd managed to bundle in a couple of goals early on at Wigan it could have been a different story altogether, decent pace, good link up play and team player, eye for a goal at Championship level, would be a great signing for L1 IMO.

First of all people on this forum need to get real with their expectations and opinions on who and what we sign or are able to sign. It isn't easy with a strict wage budget and transfer budget to be able to attract the very best young talent from this league, such as Danny Green no matter how hard we try to pursue our interest in them. Some may come off such as Madine, but the majority will probably not. Until such time as we get promoted to the league above and increase our sensible budgets we will have to get used to missing out on in demand players. Just be thankful that we are able to compete at any level to actually sign players after just over six months ago we were very much on our knees.

It would also be very silly for fans to take the attitude that all older players who aren't wanted by teams in the Championship are has beens and we shouldn't be interested in them after a few bad experiences this past season with the Teales, Sedgwick, Morrisons of this world. Remember the likes of Steve Watson and Michael Johnson as good examples of experienced 'not wanted' Championship players that have come in and done the business.

Some people need to wake up and realise where and what we are at the moment.

As for Scotland, I'm of the same opinion as Edinburghowl. He's always had a very hit and miss career. Some prolific spells and some not so prolific spells. I've never been totally convinced of him, even when he scored all them goals for Swansea in the Championship and couple of years ago. However, I'm fairly confident that he could bag a fair amount at this lower level of the service is good. That's obviously if he wants it and his attitude is correct, which I'm sure Megson will be able to see, find out and sort out if needs be.

Guest foreverSWFC

Based on what? I saw pretty much every match he played for Wigan and I wouldn't say he's lazy at all, sure he didn't quite have the quality to succeed at EPL level but he was a trier who didn't give up despite a terrible run of form in front of goal, if he'd managed to bundle in a couple of goals early on at Wigan it could have been a different story altogether, decent pace, good link up play and team player, eye for a goal at Championship level, would be a great signing for L1 IMO.

I would love to see how many people said exactly the same about Clinton Morrison last year.

However, i do believe Scotland is better than Morrison. But i am basing this on what alot of Ipswich fans have said about him on their forums.

Well our Last attempt to bring in a striker last season was the failed bid to tempt Benny McCarthy which I thought a little odd. Maybe a move for the unpredictable Jason Scotland is a tad more realistic. It's certainly better than Billy Paynter.

Guest foreverSWFC

First of all people on this forum need to get real with their expectations and opinions on who and what we sign or are able to sign. It isn't easy with a strict wage budget and transfer budget to be able to attract the very best young talent from this league, such as Danny Green no matter how hard we try to pursue our interest in them. Some may come off such as Madine, but the majority will probably not. Until such time as we get promoted to the league above and increase our sensible budgets we will have to get used to missing out on in demand players. Just be thankful that we are able to compete at any level to actually sign players after just over six months ago we were very much on our knees.

It would also be very silly for fans to take the attitude that all older players who aren't wanted by teams in the Championship are has beens and we shouldn't be interested in them after a few bad experiences this past season with the Teales, Sedgwick, Morrisons of this world. Remember the likes of Steve Watson and Michael Johnson as good examples of experienced 'not wanted' Championship players that have come in and done the business.

As for Scotland, I'm of the same opinion as Edinburghowl. He's always had a very hit and miss career. Some prolific spells and some not so prolific spells. I've never been totally convinced of him, even when he scored all them goals for Swansea in the Championship and couple of years ago. However, I'm fairly confident that he could bag a fair amount at this lower level of the service is good. That's obviously if he wants it and his attitude is correct, which I'm sure Megson will be able to see, find out and sort out if needs be.

I agree with this. I do believe older more expierienced players are valuable, this will be shown in Rob Jones and David Prutton.

However, based on other teams who have been promoted from league one in recent years, i have noticed alot of the players are relatively unknown players who are trying to make a name for themselves, and are hungry for success. The likes of Robert Snodgrass at leeds, Elliott Bennett who was at Brighton. These players are out there and it will help us develop a platform for the future which is also a priority.

Guest Sniper1

Pretty much covers the rest of this transfer window, can we leave it at that and just discuss the players when we know for def if they are signing.

Just read a few things from Ipswich fans and it generally sounds like he was unfairly played upfront on his own for the duration of his stay, which lead him to become mardy and frustrated. Quite a few think he will be a good signing for us but they think wages could be a problem.

]

So lets go with what failed us last season shall we? Jason Scotland a player on Premier league wages who is 32 and has a reputation to be a lazy player. Clinton Morrison, Chris Sedgwick, Gary Teale spring to mind.

We do not need 'amazing' young talent, we managed to pick up Whelan and Brunt last time we were in this situation. If the likes of Cody McDonald is being linked with Oldham then to me he is a better option than Scotland.

Not only are we trying to get out of this league we are building for the future, clubs like Norwich did this, Millwall did this, Leeds did this, and likelyhood is Brighton are going to do this. The way of getting out of this league is have a few old heads E.G. Jones and Prutton and mix these with younger players who will gel as a team in the years to come. Just as we did when we got out of this league last time, however we have more of an advantage this time around because we are financially stable.

I'm sick of people saying we just need to get out of this league, rubbish. We need younger talents to cement are future, rather than having to ship in and out, old, living of their reputations veterans every year.

Well said that man........I totally agree.

But you never know, the next 6 signings could all be young(ish)?

I'm not over the moon with signing the likes of Scotland(not the country), Prutton and Jones, hence my semi excitement at the possibility of signing Green, but if those signings are mixed with some youth it could work.

Guest Cottingham owl

In my opinion and I'll probably get shot down for this neil mellor will not be coming back to hillsborough, Gary Madine could face a sentence if found guilty of arson and that then leaves Morrison. Could you imagine Clinton Morrison and Jason Scotland up front together ? Would that seriously be the front 2 pairing that fire us out of this league ?

You don't get it. Taking a gamble? It's not taking a gamble buying young players. I think it is more of a gamble bringing in players like Scotland, Teale, Morrison, Jeffers, Sedgwick ETC.

I've found that untried and relatively unknown players are the ones who make names for themselves in this league. Seriously before last season who would have thought a side like Bourenmouth had so many young promising players? Who would have thought Elliott Bennett who was released by Wolves would become arguably the best midfielder outside of the Premier League?

The players are out there, its up to Megson to find them.

But everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight. For every Elliott Bennett there are 20 Wade Smalls / Adam Proudlocks / Michael Reddy's.

It really isnt as easy as you think it is to predict which players will sink or swim when released from clubs higer up the pyramid, which is exactly why there is always a risk attached to signing them.

By all means take a look at a few, but you cannot rely on a whole team of promising youngsters in case too many of them bomb and don't work out.

Like everything in life - Balance is the key!

Guest londonowl1

Exactly right Ecclesallowl. I work with some ipswich season ticket holders and they all say he would be brilliant for us and way above league 1 standard.

Also saying he didnt fit into there way of play, but he has class but they didnt play to his strengths.

If we get Scotland it will be the best signing made in league 1 this summer for sure.

Don't get this age agrument....yes it would be nice to have good young prospects but we could also get stuck with more micheal morrisons, reda johnsons, mark reynolds etc.