Mandaric Confirms Interest in Scotland

Guest JCFC

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=18631

Sheffield Wednesday chairman Milan Mandaric has confirmed his club’s interest in Town striker Jason Scotland, as revealed by TWTD a week ago. The Trinidad and Tobago international looks certain to move on during the close season with Paul Jewell having added Michael Chopra and Nathan Ellington to his squad already this summer.

Mandaric says the Owls are working on a deal to bring the 32-year-old to Hillsborough: “We are interested in him and we are trying to see what can be done.”

League One Wednesday may not find the financial side of the move straightforward with the ex-Dundee United and Dunfermline man likely to be on a significant wage having joined the Blues from Premier League Wigan for £750,000 in August last year.

The striker, who has a year left on his Town contract, was close to returning to his former club Swansea on loan in February but the move broke down after the clubs were unable to agree a financial package.

Scotland scored 10 goals in 35 starts and 10 sub appearances for the Blues during 2010/11, but failed to convince new manager Jewell that he is the man to fire the club back into the Premier League.

Earlier today, Brighton boss Gus Poyet played down reports linking his club with a move for Scotland.

Now that's more like it.

I think I said in a previous thread that any flagship signing was more likely to be a striker.

Unlike those who feel he may be another player heading towards the end of his career with nothing much to offer, I believe he could be very effective for us in this league. He has pace, skill, trickery, and good finishing skills, way too good for our league.

Guest jake benson

Bad move I think , we want to look towards young talent that will help us in the championship and beyond not players that are getting on because we tried that last year and it failed

How does some nerd on an Ipswich site get a direct MM quote yet fat Seth can't get someone to answer his calls?

good point.

**** OFF WITH YOUR YOUNG TALENT, WE WILL NOT GET AMAZING YOUNG TALENT BECAUSE IT ALL GOES TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP OR PREMIER LEAGUE. NUMBER ONE PRIORITY IS TO GET OUT OF THIS LEAGUE, IF THAT MEANS OUR AVERAGE SQUAD AGE IS 65 THEN SO BE IT.

Edited by EcclesallOwl

Guest 03 owl

Stats:-

CLUB FROM TO FEE LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP OTHER

APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS

Ipswich 23 Aug, 10 Signed 32 (7) 10 1 (0) 0 2 (3) 0 0 (0) 0

Wigan 20 Jul, 09 23 Aug, 10 £2,000,000 14 (18) 1 3 (0) 1 1 (0) 0 0 (0) 0

Swansea 25 May, 07 20 Jul, 09 Nominal 82 (8) 45 6 (1) 5 2 (3) 1 1 (2) 2

St Johnstone 27 Aug, 05 25 May, 07 Signed 65 (1) 33 6 (0) 2 4 (0) 4 5 (0) 3

Dundee Utd 16 Jul, 03 27 Aug, 05 Signed 21 (29) 8 2 (3) 1 3 (2) 1 0 (0) 0

Totals £2,000,000 214 (63) 97 18 (4) 9 12 (8) 6 6 (2) 5

Goals per Game 0.35 0.40 n/a 0.62

Hope the format is ok when i post this.

The only young talent we will sign are from League 2.

Why?

Because as Ecclesall said, the young talent from L1 go to the Championship or some the Premiership.

Scotland woul be a very good addition, and better than Morisson has been.

He didn't score many goals in the SPL or the Premier League, but he scored a fair amount at St Johnstone and Swansea in the lower leagues of Scottish and English football. He's not what I would call a flagship signing, but he should be good enough to score in this league if he gets the right service and puts the effort in.

The thing that worries me about him is he has been very hit and miss in his career. He's also getting on a bit. He did score a hatful last time down here with Swansea though.

Guest foreverSWFC

**** OFF WITH YOUR YOUNG TALENT, WE WILL NOT GET AMAZING YOUNG TALENT BECAUSE IT ALL GOES TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP OR PREMIER LEAGUE. NUMBER ONE PRIORITY IS TO GET OUT OF THIS LEAGUE, IF THAT MEANS OUR AVERAGE SQUAD AGE IS 65 THEN SO BE IT.

]

So lets go with what failed us last season shall we? Jason Scotland a player on Premier league wages who is 32 and has a reputation to be a lazy player. Clinton Morrison, Chris Sedgwick, Gary Teale spring to mind.

We do not need 'amazing' young talent, we managed to pick up Whelan and Brunt last time we were in this situation. If the likes of Cody McDonald is being linked with Oldham then to me he is a better option than Scotland.

Not only are we trying to get out of this league we are building for the future, clubs like Norwich did this, Millwall did this, Leeds did this, and likelyhood is Brighton are going to do this. The way of getting out of this league is have a few old heads E.G. Jones and Prutton and mix these with younger players who will gel as a team in the years to come. Just as we did when we got out of this league last time, however we have more of an advantage this time around because we are financially stable.

I'm sick of people saying we just need to get out of this league, rubbish. We need younger talents to cement are future, rather than having to ship in and out, old, living of their reputations veterans every year.

Now that's more like it.

I think I said in a previous thread that any flagship signing was more likely to be a striker.

Unlike those who feel he may be another player heading towards the end of his career with nothing much to offer, I believe he could be very effective for us in this league. He has pace, skill, trickery, and good finishing skills, way too good for our league.

Pace??? You aint seen him play.

]

So lets go with what failed us last season shall we? Jason Scotland a player on Premier league wages who is 32 and has a reputation to be a lazy player. Clinton Morrison, Chris Sedgwick, Gary Teale spring to mind.

We do not need 'amazing' young talent, we managed to pick up Whelan and Brunt last time we were in this situation. If the likes of Cody McDonald is being linked with Oldham then to me he is a better option than Scotland.

Not only are we trying to get out of this league we are building for the future, clubs like Norwich did this, Millwall did this, Leeds did this, and likelyhood is Brighton are going to do this. The way of getting out of this league is have a few old heads E.G. Jones and Prutton and mix these with younger players who will gel as a team in the years to come. Just as we did when we got out of this league last time, however we have more of an advantage this time around because we are financially stable.

I'm sick of people saying we just need to get out of this league, rubbish. We need younger talents to cement are future, rather than having to ship in and out, old, living of their reputations veterans every year.

So you'd be okay staying in this division another 3 years if it meant developing some young talent and then getting promoted?

Guest foreverSWFC

So you'd be okay staying in this division another 3 years if it meant developing some young talent and then getting promoted?

No not at all, i am saying we can get out of this division with younger players in this upcoming season.

Yes it is a priority to get out of this league, but it is just as important we develop for the future aswell. I am just sick of seeing old has beens come to us who clearly could not give a crap about achieving something and helping the club. I feel we need younger or players without a big reputation to come in, and want to prove a point, just like Brunt, Whelan, McGovern did that season.