Mandaric Confirms Interest in Scotland

Guest JCFC

Guest highamowl

I think the point is no one will know how a player will do until they play for us. However, if Megson is able to identify players who fit in with how we are going to play they have a greater chance of achieving success than a player of greater pedigree who does not fit in. Messi has never played that well for Argentina, Henry was never that good for France, it was all about how they played and who they had around them

If Megson thinks Scotland fits in then he has a good chance of being successful here.

Last year our squad was all wrong (no left footed winger), so with some balance in a squad that complements how we are going to play, the players stand a chance of performing to their ability

I'm still hoping Clinton will come good. I agree that he needs ball to feet and I don't think we have seen the best of him. He has quality there is no doubting that. Hopefully after a fresh pre-season and in different circumstances he'll be a different man.

i thought he and Mellor seemed to get a good partnership going at the start of the season, but were badly let down by a lack of support and decent supply.

perhaps a pre season under megson might reignite morrison, im sure the talk of new strikers coming in doesnt fill him with confidence hes guaranteed a shirt next season - so hopefully he will stay and fight for his place and come back a better player than we saw last season.

There are risks attached with most player signings at this level - if there wasn't they would be signing at a higher level. Ok Scotland is getting on a bit and is at the tailend of his career, but he has shown enough quality in the past to suggest he should be a good signing at this level. Yes theres a chance he could go the way of Clinton but equally he could bag a hatful of goals. I think given the king of players we are able to attract he looks a decent option. Anyway as others have said I wouldn't be surprised to see Clinton have a better season this year anyway.

Mellor feeds off scraps and is our best bet if possible. Scotland does have pace in short bursts but again needs the ball into the box or edge of the box to his feet.

We could do with an "on the shoulder of the last man" type pacy striker too so that teams can't push up so much.

Edited by Bluesteel

id be a bit surprised if we could afford Scotlands wages, but not Mellors.

It's possible we may prefer Scotland to Mellor and as such make a slightly higher wage offer. He has certainly been performing at a higher level of football.

I think our midfield is the fundamental problem. Sort that and our strikers will improve.

I agree with this. Hopefully Clinton will keep himself in shape during this close season and he will be fit for the big kick off, and not have to play catch up for the first 3 months like he did last season.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Morrison didnt play that bad last season just people are judging him purely on goals scored. He held ball up well, kept ball well and created space for others similar things to what everybody seems to rave about Madine for but Clinton did them better!

Guest wilyfox

I would much prefer Mellor to Scotland. I'm not too sure what Scotland would bring to the team that Morrison wasn't brought in to do. Both Scotland and Morrison have prem, champ and int. experience. Statistically they are similar in terms of goal scoring over the years. Both are goal-poachers and require good service in order to thrive. Signing Scotland instead of Mellor would give us two players from a similar mould. Mellor offers something different. He is more athletic, a little quicker and more mobile. He works the channels well. Decent feet, good on the ball. Scored a hat-trick of headers earlier in the season showing he's good in the air. At league one level he's a pretty good all-rounder. He's probably one of the more 'complete' strikers in the division.

I'm really not interested in big name signings. We've had far too many in the past arriving with good reputations commanding large salaries - and then failing to deliver. We need to unearth the next Chris Brunt and Glenn Whelan. When comparing last seasons side to the team that won us promotion in 2005, i think we have a better defence with Weaver, Jones, Buxton (hopefully), Beevers etc...I think Morrison & Madine are better than MacLean & Peacock up front. However, our midfield is much weaker. Back then we had Brunt, Whelan, O'Brien and McGovern. Last season we had Teale, Sedgwick, Miller and O'Connor. There is a difference in age and quality. If Milan wants to splash the cash - great! But i wish he'd spend the money in midfield rather than up front. Our flagship signing doesn't need to be a striker. Moves for the likes of Danny Green, Lee Cook or Pilkington would excite me more. Needn't be those names specifically, but players of that type.

The midfield will determine the standard of our play next season and ultimately where we end up.

Guest mrbluesky

My only worry with Scotland is he has steadly gone down hill form wise since moving away from Swansea.

Guest highamowl

who says it either mellor or Scotland??? Even with what has been stated it could be one, both or neither.

Have faith. we will get a good squad together. it will happen. Just relax and judge when the season starts rather than before we have really started to sign anyone.

If we got Scotland and not mellor and he gets goals everyone will be raving about him

Guest wilyfox

if we sign Scotland, it also means that Mandaric would be undermining what he said in January. He wanted the players to become the club's assets, buying young talent whose stock and transfer values are likely to rise. Scotland is under contract with Ipswich and would command a fee aswell as a substantial wage packet. At 32, he would be worthless by the end of his contract. How many over 30s do we need? Experience is vital, but so is youth and hunger. Weaver, R.Jones, Sedgwick, Teale, O'Connor, JJ, C.Morrison & Prutton (in september) will all be 30+. Do we need any more...?

Guest highamowl

if we sign Scotland, it also means that Mandaric would be undermining what he said in January. He wanted the players to become the club's assets, buying young talent whose stock and transfer values are likely to rise. Scotland is under contract with Ipswich and would command a fee aswell as a substantial wage packet. At 32, he would be worthless by the end of his contract. How many over 30s do we need? Experience is vital, but so is youth and hunger. Weaver, R.Jones, Sedgwick, Teale, O'Connor, JJ, C.Morrison & Prutton (in september) will all be 30+. Do we need any more...?

Panic, Panic, Panic,

or wait and see who we sign by the start of the season, and how many of those players are 1) still here, and 2) anywhere near the team. I understand that youth is needed, but Scotland could have 4 years in him at this level or the Championship, so is his age really a problem? If we signed another young striker we would have 2 for the future. do we really need any more than that?

Guest wilyfox

not panicking, just bored lol. we all know this is the calm before the storm. patience is a virtue and all that blah...