Billy paynter

Guest owl forever

People need to grow up when they say Leeds scum.

One of the best Wednesday players in the last 30 years was Leeds scum, John Sheridan.

We have to be realistic on who we can attract.

People say we can attract better but no names have been mentioned.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

People need to grow up when they say Leeds scum.

One of the best Wednesday players in the last 30 years was Leeds scum, John Sheridan.

We have to be realistic on who we can attract.

People say we can attract better but no names have been mentioned.

I'm happy enough being childish, Sheridan learned the errors of his ways via Cloughie, unlike Paynter who will still be infested.

And is it cos you are L**ds scum you get offended?

Are you suggesting he had a 52 game blip?

To be fair though I agree with the above that strikers aren't the problem, its midfield.

Season

00-01 Apps 1 Goals 0

01-02 Apps 8 Goals 0

02-03 Apps 34 Goals 5

03-04 Apps 49 Goals 14

04-05 Apps 50 Goals 13

05-06 Apps 25 Goals 3

06-07 Apps 25 Goals 4

07-08 Apps 40 Goals 10

08-09 Apps 47 Goals 12

09-10 Apps 52 Goals 29

10-11 Apps 23 Goals 1

I think his stats speak for themselves, take his one good season out, and you have a striker who has reached double figures 4 times in 10 season's. Or in the interest of fairness, discount his first two seasons when he was obviously trying to break into the team, that's still double figures 4 times out of 8. Add the 4 seasons up when he didn't get into double figures, that's 13 goals in 4 years. So yes, I think it's pretty conclusive that he had a 1 season blip, or 52 game blip if you prefer.

Maybe he's a late developer, a bit like Grant Holt, I don't know, and like I said, if he signs I'll support him, but I won't expect another 29 goal season.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

People need to grow up when they say Leeds scum.One of the best Wednesday players in the last 30 years was Leeds scum, John Sheridan.We have to be realistic on who we can attract. People say we can attract better but no names have been mentioned.

Mellor and Scotland? I can't say I've seen Paynter play many times so I'll reserve judgement. But apart from the 1 season where he scored loads his scoring record is less than impressive. Scotland at least reached double figures in the league above last year which paynts (sorry) him in a better light. Although to be fair Clinton reached double figrues in the league above before signing for us so I guess that doesn't show all that much.

But if he's not our main striker, then if he can get into double figures, surely that would be an advantage

For example say if we had Mellor, Madine Paynter and A.N Other.

If Mellor got 20+, Madine got 20, Paynter got 12 and A.N Other got around 12. That would give us more from the attack pool than last year wouldn't it??

I know it's theoretical but nobody knows wot the players are going to play like next season

Guest moonraker

Hi Owls fans.

Hope you dont mind me contributing to this thread,obviously being a Swindon fan know a lot about Paynter.

Was sad to see him go and my opinion is that Leeds didnt get the best out of him,his workrate is brilliant.in both boxes but for him to be a hit would mean a decent player alongside him,playing on his own up front is no good,Austin and Cox before will both agree that the work Paynter put in is why they are at a higher level now.

Still only in his mid twenties i would be champing at the bit to have him in LGE 1.

His style of play makes him look lazy,most hardworking centre forward we have had in years...put Pericard to shame.

They are the plus points......not many negatives one being that he sometimes sees the red mist,not always a bad thing in the lower leagues granted you need battlers.

My opinion is that Grayson getting Paynter on a free a month before our play of final probably cost us promotion,he was poo poo after and awfull in the final............the big pay day at Leeds looming meant he wasn't going to get injured so wasnt the same once it was common knowledge he was off.

Reckon if you get him you will be suprised,he is better than his goalscoring record suggests....anyhow all the best,Paolo is just getting his teeth into the job and with Bristol City and Oxford being played in the first two weeks it should be fun for us.

Enjoy visiting your forum.

Hi Owls fans.

Hope you dont mind me contributing to this thread,obviously being a Swindon fan know a lot about Paynter.

Was sad to see him go and my opinion is that Leeds didnt get the best out of him,his workrate is brilliant.in both boxes but for him to be a hit would mean a decent player alongside him,playing on his own up front is no good,Austin and Cox before will both agree that the work Paynter put in is why they are at a higher level now.

Still only in his mid twenties i would be champing at the bit to have him in LGE 1.

His style of play makes him look lazy,most hardworking centre forward we have had in years...put Pericard to shame.

They are the plus points......not many negatives one being that he sometimes sees the red mist,not always a bad thing in the lower leagues granted you need battlers.

My opinion is that Grayson getting Paynter on a free a month before our play of final probably cost us promotion,he was poo poo after and awfull in the final............the big pay day at Leeds looming meant he wasn't going to get injured so wasnt the same once it was common knowledge he was off.

Reckon if you get him you will be suprised,he is better than his goalscoring record suggests....anyhow all the best,Paolo is just getting his teeth into the job and with Bristol City and Oxford being played in the first two weeks it should be fun for us.

Wait - hold on - he's lazy isn't he?

Leon Clarke mark 2?

Surely not one of the most hard working centre forwards??

Hi Owls fans.

Respect Bro x

D9QEnuQFoq7bvyex8LmkX9iYo1_400.jpg

Hi Owls fans.

Hi Moonraker, you're welcome whenever you want to visit. I've been a bit of a doubter about Paynter, but I've only seen him the once, and that was in the play-off final, and I thought he was awful. If we do sign him and he is a success, then I'm more than happy to eat humble pie. I visited Swindon for the first time in about 20 years last season, we went and had a few jars at Phil King's pub The Dolphin, top bloke Phil. That roundabout system you've got down there is weird, there must be 4 or 5 roundabouts all connected. :biggrin:

Hope Di Canio does the business for you, he was very eccentric, but a brilliant player for us. What are your thoughts about the 2 players our piggy neighbours are signing? All the best for next season.

Guest moonraker

Hi Moonraker, you're welcome whenever you want to visit. I've been a bit of a doubter about Paynter, but I've only seen him the once, and that was in the play-off final, and I thought he was awful. If we do sign him and he is a success, then I'm more than happy to eat humble pie. I visited Swindon for the first time in about 20 years last season, we went and had a few jars at Phil King's pub The Dolphin, top bloke Phil. That roundabout system you've got down there is weird, there must be 4 or 5 roundabouts all connected. :biggrin:

Hope Di Canio does the business for you, he was very eccentric, but a brilliant player for us. What are your thoughts about the 2 players our piggy neighbours are signing? All the best for next season.

Yep,pop into the Dolphin now and then,he does a bit of local commentary also...........poo poo hot with charity work as well.

Anyway..........Lescinal is ok,he had problems because of the Haiti earthquake..........either looks really good or really poor you never know what you will get which in my opinion is what lets Wilson down,he seems to get a team going and doing well but when the players get comfy finds it hard to motivate them to the next level.

Wilson tinkers to much and changes things when no need..............as for yourselfs you have the man to get you up in my humble opinion and hopefully Prutton will show the ability that he has in abundance,needs a big stage and he has one now.

As for us it looks like Douglas is staying which for me will be our best signing,real quality especially at lge 2 level :mad:

Yep,pop into the Dolphin now and then,he does a bit of local commentary also...........poo poo hot with charity work as well.

Anyway..........Lescinal is ok,he had problems because of the Haiti earthquake..........either looks really good or really poor you never know what you will get which in my opinion is what lets Wilson down,he seems to get a team going and doing well but when the players get comfy finds it hard to motivate them to the next level.

Wilson tinkers to much and changes things when no need..............as for yourselfs you have the man to get you up in my humble opinion and hopefully Prutton will show the ability that he has in abundance,needs a big stage and he has one now.

As for us it looks like Douglas is staying which for me will be our best signing,real quality especially at lge 2 level :mad:

He commentates on Wednesday games for radio Sheffield whenever we're in his neck of the woods too. I remember Douglas, he scored a cracker against us at Hillsborough. I also remember Prutton, even though we won at home, we couldn't get the ball off him, he was dropping really deep and basically just making sure Swindon kept possession.

Guest Saturday Owl

Would be happy with this, scored goals for fun for Swindon. I'm sure Megson would get the best out of him too.