Billy paynter

Guest owl forever

That's very black and white way of looking at it.

Assists for instance aren't on there?

Where does it mention his laziness?

Anyway, taking into account the fact that apart from stepping up to the Championship, his goal tally in League 1 has progressively got better throughout his career, culminating in nearly 30 goals in one season.

However, based on the stats above, 1 goal in every 4 through his career, would equal 12 goals next season.

i dont really know anything about him but surely this must be considered a good signing

ok he only had one good season in league 1 but it was his last one

what strikers are out there that have scored goals year after year in league 1 that we could attract?

none, they are all playing in the championship

Clinton got 12 goals last season from less games As a footballing talent he offers far more than Paynter and if Megson can build a midfield that can provide the service, he could do even better. If we are going to add to our strike force the players we bring in should be better than the ones we have already, or at least offer something different.

I'll be honest and say I don't know much about this lad apart from wot I've read on here and the fact he scored 29 goals last time he was in this league, by all accounts he's had a bit of a nightmare at Leeds but Grayson rates him.

If we compare the negativity surrounding this possible signing and the Jizz fest surrounding the possible signing of Danny Green, then I'm a little confused. Ppl are/were jizzing in their pants at the possibility of signing DG, based on the fact he's had one good season in league 1, he's scored 14 goals and got loads of assists, now in not saying he wouldn't be a good signing but how can pol get so excited about signing DG but be so negative about signing a guy who is capable of 29 goals at this level. He may not be the next superstar striker but I'm sure he'd be good enough us to make a decent challenge next season, even if he came as a back up striker

If we are looking at automatic promotion as our target, then we have to look at the strikers the two promoted clubs had at their disposal Brighton who scored a lot of goals from midfield, something we are unlikely to do, still had Wood, Murray and Barnes. Southampton had Lambert, Barnard, Di Prado, Lalana and Connolly. We have to match or better that

Career statistics

As of 7 May 2011

Season Club Status Division League FA Cup League Cup FL Trophy Play-Offs Total

Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals

2010–11 Leeds Utd Championship 22 1 1 0 0 0 - - - - 23 1

2009–10 Swindon Town League One 44 26 3 1 2 2 1 0 2 0 52 29

2008–09 Swindon Town League One 42 11 1 0 1 1 3 0 - - 47 12

2007–08 Swindon Town League One 36 8 4 2 0 0 0 0 - - 40 10

2006–07 Bradford City League One 15 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 - - 15 4

2006–07 Southend Championship 9 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 - - 11 1

2005–06 Hull City Championship 13 0 1 0 0 0 - - - - 14 0

2005–06 Hull Loan Championship 9 3 0 0 0 0 - - - - 9 3

2005–06 Port Vale League One 16 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 - - 17 2

2004–05 Port Vale League One 45 10 2 2 1 0 2 1 - - 50 13

2003–04 Port Vale League One 45 13 2 1 1 0 1 0 - - 49 14

2002–03 Port Vale League One 31 5 1 0 0 0 2 0 - - 34 5

2001–02 Port Vale League One 7 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 - - 8 0

2000–01 Port Vale League One 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - - 1 0

Looking at these stats, are people still confident Paynter is the answer, or was his one great season a blip?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Regarding Billy Paynter and people being underwhelmed, I'm one of em.

I remember him breaking through at Vale years back and us being linked when Turner was in charge, he was never a consistent goalscorer.

I'd be disappointed to see him brought in to the the club ahead of Mellor, Paynter has had one good season when he linked up well with Austin and that's it, oh and he's tainted from his spell with L**ds.

Well they are a problem in so much as we don't have any, but yes we do need to build the midfield

A strikeforce of Madine, Morrison, Scotland/Paynter/Mellor would be more than good enough for me, but if we start with a similar midfield to last season we might as well stick 2 scarecrows up front.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

A strikeforce of Madine, Morrison, Scotland/Paynter/Mellor would be more than good enough for me, but if we start with a similar midfield to last season we might as well stick 2 scarecrows up front.

You're a striker light there mate, need four IMHO.

As for midfield, damn reyt, the signing of Prutton plus maybe Semedo is all well and good for protecting the back four but they haven't a clue how to score or create goals, we'd be too heavily reliant on long ball football up the forwards hoping for flick ons

You're a striker light there mate, need four IMHO.

As for midfield, damn reyt, the signing of Prutton plus maybe Semedo is all well and good for protecting the back four but they haven't a clue how to score or create goals, we'd be too heavily reliant on long ball football up the forwards hoping for flick ons

I was thinking along the lines of 2 of Mellor, Scotland or Paynter. Judging on Heffernan being released, perhaps Megson isn't after a small / quick poacher, which would also explain the defensive midfielders / long ball approach.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I was thinking along the lines of 2 of Mellor, Scotland or Paynter. Judging on Heffernan being released, perhaps Megson isn't after a small / quick poacher, which would also explain the defensive midfielders / long ball approach.

Whoever is brought in we need creativity and pace, we lack both, in abundance

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I must admit I don't know a lot about Paynter. What sort of player is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Strengths :

Decent shot on, scores the odd wonder goal

Not shoved off the ball easily

Can link up well with faster strikers

Weaknesses :

Scouse

Lazy

Overweight

L**ds Scum

Has a scoring ratio more akin to Stephen Hawking than Ryan Giggs

It's difficult at the moment to predict the managers thinking. We were linked strongly with Green and have offered JJ new terms so does that mean we will be playing with two orthodox wingers in a 4 4 2 system? We would then play two strikers from a pool of say, four. However this would mean playing a central midfield of two, Prutton and maybe Semedo. Not much creativity there If it's to be those two plus a yet to be disclosed creative type, playing 4 3 3 then we have no real need for wingers If it's to be wingers and just one striker, then four strikers is an extravagance

Of course it's all about having a squad to cover all possibilities but how we play will affect recruitment.for example it would be hard to attract a striker knowing he would be one of four vying for just one place.

Strengths :

Decent shot on, scores the odd wonder goal

Not shoved off the ball easily

Can link up well with faster strikers

Weaknesses :

Scouse

Lazy

Overweight

L**ds Scum

Has a scoring ratio more akin to Stephen Hawking than Ryan Giggs

^^^^^^^^^^^

AKA Leon Clarke