Mellor

Guest maltaowl

But big bonuses are just as bad - he will either fail or cost us a fortune.

These kind of bonuses can be bad for teams - I know it's a different clause but look at Purse and Miller for us, or Hughes for Pompey.

If we do as you said and Mellor scores every week we would be paying him about £13,000 - 15,000 p/w

If he gets 20 a season it will be about £8,000-£10,000

Still more than I would pay him

If he fails, he doesn't get paid as much.

If he's scoring and we are winning, then we'll get more people through the gate, be nearer the top of the table and the goals will pay for themselves.

If he fails, he doesn't get paid as much.

If he's scoring and we are winning, then we'll get more people through the gate, be nearer the top of the table and the goals will pay for themselves.

But he's scored 20 this season...

Where are the wins, the fans and the table toppers?

The only club that will pay him 10k a week next season is Preston cos unless something changes they have no choice.

We have experienced people running the club now and we need to get tough with other clubs, players and agents. Milan, Aldrige and Megson have all been round the block and need to use their experience to sort our staff out this summer, with only one thing in mind "what is best for SWFC"

No paying over the odds out of desperation , just cool , hard business sense.

I just believe we have been a very soft touch in this area for a good few years and we now have an opportunity to change that.

If Mellor wants to come to us we tell him what we think he is worth and he either takes it or leaves it. If it is a no we move on.

If he prefers to sit out his contract at Preston then that tells us all we need to know.

Edited by oldishowl

:blink:

Sorry, read that bit wrong.

Still though, I'm not sure that a "We'll give you 10K every time you score in a game we win" will appeal much to him.

At the end of the day, the only way that Mellor will be getting 10K next season is if he is at Preston. I'd be dumbstruck if a new club gives him that kind of deal.

I'd still be reluctant to offer huge bonuses.

The best way for us to compete with the clubs above us in terms of wages would be to offer a longer deal, perhaps.

Maybe Mellor would prefer a 3 year deal on £4,000 pw than a 2 year deal on £5,000 pw.

He'll have to take a wage cut wherever he goes.

I'm sure he'll have realised that.

People should stop harping on about his wages if he leaves Preston because it won't be a stumbling block.

Its only Preston that should be worried about his wages if they're wanting to keep him. He won't take a cut to stay i'm sure!

Sorry, read that bit wrong.

Still though, I'm not sure that a "We'll give you 10K every time you score in a game we win" will appeal much to him.

At the end of the day, the only way that Mellor will be getting 10K next season is if he is at Preston. I'd be dumbstruck if a new club gives him that kind of deal.

I'd still be reluctant to offer huge bonuses.

The best way for us to compete with the clubs above us in terms of wages would be to offer a longer deal, perhaps.

Maybe Mellor would prefer a 3 year deal on £4,000 pw than a 2 year deal on £5,000 pw.

No worries lol

He might prefer a three year deal, but I'd be reluctant to give him that. I'd hope that the season after next we'll be looking for a top half championship finish; promotion next season, top half championship season after. As much as I like Mellor, can't see him being the man to fire us to top half championship.

I hear what you are saying, but I'd rather offer lower wages, topped up with bonuses generally.

Some intresting view on him here. I find it quite funny how a week or so ago they were all raving about having him back, but now they've got wind he would like to stay with us and the Brighton chestnut, 90% of them don't want anything to do with him again.

I hope he reads prestons forum and see's that thread.

Edited by eckington owl

If Preston are keen to let go a striker who has scored 20 goals in 42 apps (only 31 starts) for a crap team in a league they're going to be competing in next year then more fool them.

We should be doing everything we can to sign him.

People should stop harping on about his wages if he leaves Preston because it won't be a stumbling block.

Its only Preston that should be worried about his wages if they're wanting to keep him. He won't take a cut to stay i'm sure!

]It's all about money with players today, especially when the agents are involved. He has another year at Preston on 10K a week. He can do one of several things to keep that money coming in.

Either :

Accept a contract pay off from Preston

See his contract out at Preston

Go out on loan for the season with the other club paying towards his salary (Would be ideal for Wednesday if we can't get him for free and with reduced wages)

Negotiate a contract with another club and move for free (with a signing on fee!)

Which ever way he goes, he knows he can still be sure of getting his 10K week (if that is what he is contracted to)

If PNE get offers from Championship clubs, I can't see them giving us permission to talk to us.

I would do everything I can to stop a player going to a different club in the same division as I am, especially when he scored 20 goals for them the season before.

mellor isn't worth £10k a week...the only people contracted to pay him that are preston...

if they can afford it, they can play him...

if they can't afford it, then they have to sell him (with perhaps preston paying some of his wages, or taking a cut in his initial price)...

or, loan him out again until his contract expires...

While I'm sure there are strikers available to us for a fee and a reasonable wage as alternatives, if a deal could be done I think it would be a great move to bring Mellor in full time.

This club has struggled for goalscorers for years now, and yet we now have seen proof that Mellor CAN score a hatfull of goals - for us. We have the opportunity to give the Mellor and Madine partnership a full season to see what they can do. I'm pretty sure that partnership could do some serious damage in the league above too given the opportunity.

Guest Bald Owl

I personally like him and always have done. We need that twenty goals a season. As much as I like Madine I'm not sure he'll do the twenty a season for us just yet. Also the partnership seems to work.

Guest DSC_UK

I think he should be our first signing. He got 20 in a poor side this season he would probably get even more in a side doing well.

I would imagine, after being treated poo poo by Preston, and after starting to score a few goals here, at a club where he is appreciated, and settled, he would jump at the chance of signing for us if offered a contract.

Preston are going to have to sell him soon anyway. He's in the last year of his contract and he is an unhappy player as far as Preston is concerned.

The only question is whether or not Megson feels he can get better value with another striker he may have in his sights :wink:

Not sure about the terms of Mellor's contract, but it might include a reduction in wage should Preston be relegated. Just another thought.

He'll know that he wont be earning 10k a week again after his current deal expires.

So you would think any deal would have to give him some money to make up for not staying on 10k a week at PNE (as they cant afford him) before he agrees a more suitable wage at a new club.

Otherwise he could just sit back and take his money at PNE.

I dunno if he's on £10k per week or not but I do know he offers better value for money than Fanny Jeffers. He was on £9k per week (allegedly) and this during times when money was more of an issue for us

You'd have to think, with Milan in charge, that we'd stand an excellent chance of signing him IF Megson wants him to stay.