Mellor

Guest maltaowl

Guest britmod_owl

without mellors goals this season, we could have been relegated, genuine. morrison heff and tudgay would not have produced what he has im sure, and 10k a week to avoid that would have been fine with me, same as 10k if it gets us out this division is fine with me, which i think him and madine will do.

Guest Distraught!

I am not sure what the issue is with the 10K thing TBH. It sounds a high figure but I can imagine that it is around the going rate for 20+ goals per season strikers. Goalscorers win matches and winning matches consistently goes a long way to winning promotion. With the difference in revenue and turnover between Championship and League 1 football, half a million in wages for a consistent player shouldn't become a barrier.

6 weeks ago he couldn get on the bench and everyone wanted him out with the rest of the lazy counts!!

flip me!!!

Hes good in patches but easily injured Nd basically a bit fat, i think hes brilliant, but i dont see him as tye striker to get us out this league,

If he takes a knock he is out of action for ten or more matches and doesnt come back hot!! We need someone who can get us out this league unless we are very unlilucky, not someone who can IF we are very very lucky!!!!

Guest Distraught!

6 weeks ago he couldn get on the bench and everyone wanted him out with the rest of the lazy counts!!

flip me!!!

Hes good in patches but easily injured Nd basically a bit fat, i think hes brilliant, but i dont see him as tye striker to get us out this league,

So he's not played in the first team for a good proportion of the season and still finishes top scorer and the first 20+ striker since MacLean. What would have happened if he had played all 46?

flip me!!!

If he takes a knock he is out of action for ten or more matches and doesnt come back hot!! We need someone who can get us out this league unless we are very unlilucky, not someone who can IF we are very very lucky!!!!

Christ, their are some clueless people on owlstalk..

Guest Distraught!

Nothing to do with us but for Preston 10k a week in the championship scoring 10-12 league goals a season does sound a fair whack to me.

So how many did Shevchenko get for Chelsea and what was his salary? Does his less than satisfactory return make him a poor player or was he a good player at the wrong club playing under the wrong circumstances? Likewise, if Torres turns out to be a disaster at Chelsea, is it because he is not good enough or because he left a club that suited him down to the ground and joined one that didn't? We can only judge Mellor on his displays at Wednesday and there may well be better players that could be brought in. But until such a player is identified and says yes, Mellor seems a perfectly able alternative choice to me.

Guest Distraught!

I would take Mellor but on Prestons crowds and budget it seems hell of a lot to be paying anyone.The thing with Mellor for me is he is probably far to good for this league but can't score stacks of goals at championship level.

For me it's plain and simple. For now, I couldn't give a flip about the Championship. I will worry about that as and when we are back there. For the time being, the pressing matter is how to get back there and we ain't going to do it without consistent goalscorers. Recent history has proved that at the clubs that have managed to get promoted out of League 1. Madine and Mellor look to have goals in them. I am confident they can do the necessary job. I would be happier if we could also get a man with pace and accuracy as an alternative (oh for another Kenwyne). Two big men, a quick man and JJ as a fourth choice injury cover striker would be my preferred make up.

Christ, their are some clueless people on owlstalk..

No one wanted him when he came back from injury and had lost it, i don't remember any threads about signing him after the Huddersfield away match and the few after,

Now everyone is back to loving him, I reckon we could get a younger striker less prone to injury and cold patches for less money!! If you disagree then fine but the injury he got was tye kind of knock some strikers get every week

I always maintained Mellor and Morrison were capable of scoring 40 goals between them Had we have played them instead of weeing about with just one striker, they would have reached that target easy.

No one wanted him when he came back from injury and had lost it, i don't remember any threads about signing him after the Huddersfield away match and the few after,

Now everyone is back to loving him, I reckon we could get a younger striker less prone to injury and cold patches for less money!! If you disagree then fine but the injury he got was tye kind of knock some strikers get every week

At the time he couldn't get in the team for whatever reason (lovers tiff with Megson) and it looked increasingly Likely he wouldn't be playing again - hence why people wanted shut of him. No point in paying our share of his wages if he wasn't even going to make the bench, was there?

He got his chance and grabbed it by the balls and is now in the best form he's been in all season. It would be insane not to try and sign him if he's going to keep a regular place in the starting line up.

I always maintained Mellor and Morrison were capable of scoring 40 goals between them Had we have played them instead of weeing about with just one striker, they would have reached that target easy.

agree with this.

although.....

Megson was trying to sure us up as a defensive unit and had some limited success with madine up front on his own.

The other option of clinton and madine was probably used far too much- for the ame reason (clinton being more of a hold up player)

The Mellor Madine combination was the last one anyone thought of- including the managers because they are both out and out strikers. We have been playing a conservative front two for years because of Tudgay who was valued for his defensive contribution.

It's great that we have now found a strike partnership who have both got goals in them and who look to attck from a higher starting poition. with some good service they will get 40 goals between them- no bother.

(Get him signed meggo)

If everyone on this thread was the should we sign mellor swfc comittee at s6 and milan was asking us all to make a decision as to wether we buy him or not, and i ha d thendeciding vote, i would look you all in the eye and say, do you think he will be fit and healthy all season and not get injured unless he was seriously badly tackle? Do you honestly think we couldnt get a striker with less faults for the same money who can get us 20+ goals?

And if you could all look me in the eye and say you dont think its very likely he will get a knock early on in the season and leave us with back up strikers like heff and clinton again??

I reckon no one can say he is a safe signing, id rather get someone under 26 who has scored over 20 this season in this league from another club, for less than Mellor,

I would take him if i didnt think it would all end in tears!!

Should be one of the first things Megson sorts out in the summer.

I would say keep him and do everything we can to do so. A full season with him and Madine up top, we have (for the first time in years) a strike force that can get 40 goals a season. Melllor has proved he can cut it in this division, at club that is woefully short of creativity.

That's promotion.

to be fair to Phil Brown, he now has the oppurtunity to persuade a striker who quite clearly will get the goals at this level

if he can persuade Mellor to stay, that will be his first big siging in fairness and a bloody good one

i would love us to sign Mellor is possible .. proven and if he stays injury free then he can defo get 20 goals in the league this season

to be fair to Phil Brown, he now has the oppurtunity to persuade a striker who quite clearly will get the goals at this level

if he can persuade Mellor to stay, that will be his first big siging in fairness and a bloody good one

i would love us to sign Mellor is possible .. proven and if he stays injury free then he can defo get 20 goals in the league this season

The word if is doing a lot of work in that post!!

Hes a lot more injury prone than we have seen this season!!

i imagine there will be smarter financial people than us sorting this out...

if mellor can't be secured at the right price then megson has to have some good heavy handed strikers in mind as we need a 20-30 goal man for next season...

trouble with that is, a number of championship sides, including brighton, and southampton might well be interested...

and i imagine that peterborough might need a replacement or two for any players they have leaving...

We'll get him I reckon.

£10,000 a week is a lot of money for a league one club to pay in wages though.

Should offer him £10,000 for every goal he scores or something... as a bonus.

that would boost team morale .....madine lays on 3 sitters for him and mellor gets 30 k while madine gets 5k ,or madine's better placed but mellor thinks flip that i'm having a pot i got 10 grand on this . :ohmy: