Mellor

Guest maltaowl

Guest Distraught!

that would boost team morale .....madine lays on 3 sitters for him and mellor gets 30 k while madine gets 5k ,or madine's better placed but mellor thinks flip that i'm having a pot i got 10 grand on this . :ohmy:

Or Madine thinks I'm 21 and the more goals I score or the more I lay on for other people, the more likely Wednesday are going to be promoted, the more quick I can earn higher contracts, the more likely I will be on the rise.

Win, Win, Win, Win.......

I am sure Madine will only be too happy to link up with a successful strike partner, 10K or no 10K.

Or at least Madine will if he and his agent have any sense between them!

Guest Distraught!

If everyone on this thread was the should we sign mellor swfc comittee at s6 and milan was asking us all to make a decision as to wether we buy him or not, and i ha d thendeciding vote, i would look you all in the eye and say, do you think he will be fit and healthy all season and not get injured unless he was seriously badly tackle? Do you honestly think we couldnt get a striker with less faults for the same money who can get us 20+ goals?

And if you could all look me in the eye and say you dont think its very likely he will get a knock early on in the season and leave us with back up strikers like heff and clinton again??

I reckon no one can say he is a safe signing, id rather get someone under 26 who has scored over 20 this season in this league from another club, for less than Mellor,

I would take him if i didnt think it would all end in tears!!

The man's played half a fookin' season and bagged 20 goals. What more could be asked of him? If he misses a third of the season and bags 25-30, so be it. No striker can guarantee fitness and especially none within our price range. We certainly need cover but we need that for Madine as well!

The man's played half a fookin' season and bagged 20 goals. What more could be asked of him? If he misses a third of the season and bags 25-30, so be it. No striker can guarantee fitness and especially none within our price range. We certainly need cover but we need that for Madine as well!

Exactly, we could sign someone who's never had an injury in his life but after a couple of games gets an injury that puts him out for months. The same goes for scoring goals, look at Torres for instance, not comparing them before anyone starts, but Chelsea paid a lot of money for a 'proven goalscorer' and now he couldn't score in a ***** house.

Mellor has already proven he can score poo poo loads of goals even with terrible service.

Edited by eckington owl

All comes down to if you think hes the best striker in the division, i think hes in the top 6 but the top two, i would like us to buy the best,

I know mickael smith will probably go up a league but i think we should make a play for him, if not then the next best, Mellor has issues,

I think if your getting a tackle and being out the squad for that long it shouldnt be for a tackle that doesnt even warrant a free kick, for me hes an impact striker who is good off the bench, bottom line is he is more likely to get injured than other strikers for a similiar price,

Look at his career at preston

All comes down to if you think hes the best striker in the division, i think hes in the top 6 but the top two, i would like us to buy the best,

I know mickael smith will probably go up a league but i think we should make a play for him, if not then the next best, Mellor has issues,

I think if your getting a tackle and being out the squad for that long it shouldnt be for a tackle that doesnt even warrant a free kick, for me hes an impact striker who is good off the bench, bottom line is he is more likely to get injured than other strikers for a similiar price,

Pretty irrelevant if tackles warrant a free kick or not, an injury could occure from a slight knock or a bad landing from an ariel challenge etc.

And if he plays half the season for 20 goals well who can complain.

I said he was our best pre season signing and Megson will deffo sign him up, plus another striker.

He just worries me,

He is a bit of an owl though and he is probably the only 'footballer' we have other than Coke when hes on form or Madine if he grows into what we are hoping he will.

This is all moot anyway!!

We need a flippingmidfield, we need midfielders sooooooooooooooo badly!!!!

Mellor and Madine with a decent midfield will take us up

Preston North End

In August 2006, Mellor signed a three-year contract with Football League Championship club Preston North End for a fee of around £500,000.[15] Manager Paul Simpson said, "Neil is a goalscorer and hopefully that will continue to be the case. He is a tremendous signing. He has had his injury problems but we are happy he is over those and it's just a case now of building up his fitness levels."[15] Another knee injury suffered in a pre-season friendly against Bolton Wanderers required more surgery and delayed Mellor's debut for Preston.[14] Mellor finally got his first goal for Preston in the 3–1 victory over Southampton in March 2007. Out of favour under the Paul Simpson managerial era, Mellor had to prove himself over again to new P.N.E boss Alan Irvine. Under Irvine, Mellor finally got going and scored nine goals under him after Christmas 2007. Mellor again showed his panache for the 30-yard volley on 30 July 2008 by scoring in similar fashion for Preston North End in their friendly against Motherwell at Fir Park, which earned a 1–1 draw for Preston. During pre-season 2008–09 Mellor scored eight goals.

Despite the promising pre-season and Mellor being a favourite amongst sections of the deepdale crowd indifferent form led to him losing his place to new signing Jon Parkin. Mellor regained his place in the team in time to score in Preston's 3–1 victory away at local rivals Blackpool, however another injury has seen him miss a number of games. However he regained fitness for a match against former club Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd round, which Preston lost 2–0.

Guest Sheff Owl

He just worries me,

He is a bit of an owl though and he is probably the only 'footballer' we have other than Coke when hes on form or Madine if he grows into what we are hoping he will.

This is all moot anyway!!

We need a flippingmidfield, we need midfielders sooooooooooooooo badly!!!!

Mellor and Madine with a decent midfield will take us up

Agreed!

We really need a ball winner, someone that breaks up play and just gives the ball - nothing fancy!

Something we have been lacking for years, we spend so much time trying to win the ball back with silly challenges, if we had got someone in there not afraid to get stuck in we could have had a lot more goals and Mellor could have had more than the 20 he has so far.

Like i said we waste so much time TRYING to win the ball, instead of just bloody winning it or at least get in there.

just listened to his interview on WP

he seems a little mute on next season as a whole - didn't let on about wanting to stay at preston or coming back here or moving elsewhere

i'd love to see him come back though...

I think some people are missing the point a little bit about Mellor.

It's the PARTNERSHIP between him and Madine that has made him click. Put him next to a less combative and direct striker and his goal return would be more average.

Before Madine came along, Mellor was a bit hit and miss....and before that- well the Preston fans are hardly glowing.

Put him next to a worker and Mellor picks his game up.

It's the partnership we need to keep together..