Mellor

Guest maltaowl

Guest maltaowl

From Sky Sports

Not trying to bore everyone with another Mellor thread but its intresting to see that Brown is thinking about Mellor. Not too surpising after his form, especially recently at home. I'd like him to say but I think there are a lot of strikers who we could get like Mellor

Just wondered whether everyone else thinks that he could still end up at Preston or If a bid will turn the manager/chairman's hand????

Edited by maltaowl

Preston are going to want to talk to him as he is still their player! When we signed him the chairman said he would never play for them again and he is on quite a bit with them, with them needing to reduce the wage bill i cant see them taking his £10k per week wage back on :rolleyes:

I'd be very, very surprised if Mellor stayed at Preston next season.

I think Brown will just talk to him about what he wants to do.

Although, the fans don't like him and chairman has apparently vowed that he'll never play for the club again :biggrin:

Offer him a standard wage but then chuck in a couple of bonus's if he reaches 20 goals next season.

If we really want him, we'll sign him. No doubts about it.

I also think Megson will want him and we will sign him.

This ^^^

We have probably been talking to Preston about Mellors situation and Brown speaking to Mellor will be a formality. I expect Mellor to be announced as one of our first signings over the summer.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a lower championship team next season, to be honest.

A Derby, Coventry or team promoted from league one may want to take him.

But teams like Brighton and any of the play off teams cannot compete very highly on wage bills.

Southampton however, different matter. Would they want Mellor and Lambert?

But teams like Brighton and any of the play off teams cannot compete very highly on wage bills.

Southampton however, different matter. Would they want Mellor and Lambert?

Frankly, I wouldn't want him if we were matching his current wages. He is going to have to take a wage cut if he moves, in my opinion.

He has definitely not shown that he is worth £10,000 per week and no one will sign him on that wage.

I can see him going to a lower Championship team - a Derby (or similar) will look at his record for us this season and see it as a return to form and will be able to match or better us for wages.

Clarke even managed to get a Championship team to take him on FFS!

"He has his opinions about the club, his situation and his career.

"I have to put a case forward to him as manager of Preston North End."

. Wonder what Mellor`s opinion of Preston is seeing as the Chairman said he`ll never play for us again and the fans didn`t take to him . I would think he is one of the six Megson wants and if Milan wants him too then he`s ours ,,,,,,,,,, hopefully :cool:

Think its vital we get him for next season if we really want to have the best opportunity at getting promoted.

We all know he is easily capable of getting goals in this Division now - and Preston are going to be contenders for Promotion, so we'll be taking a gamble on letting him go back if we don't offer him a contract to stay with us, and then we're in the search of a striker who we think could get us 20 goals next season.

Although I agree that a lower Championship Club could come in for him during the summer, then there isn't too much we could do about it if he left.

Hopefully the fact that the Chairman came out with the comments about Mellor never playing for Preston will still be fresh in his head, its not like it was an ex Manager to say it who has now left the Club - the Chairman could hopefully have done his bit to make sure he is a Wednesday player next season.

We'll get him I reckon.

£10,000 a week is a lot of money for a league one club to pay in wages though.

Should offer him £10,000 for every goal he scores or something... as a bonus.

We got into the situation we were in by having players on out books on those kinds of wages.

He is not worth £10,000 a week.

In fact, £10,00 a week would get you 2 players of the same quality as Mellor, may be better quality. I'd want him offered £4k max.

If he rejects then fine - there are plenty of other strikers around who could get goals for us.

We got into the situation we were in by having players on out books on those kinds of wages.

He is not worth £10,000 a week.

In fact, £10,00 a week would get you 2 players of the same quality as Mellor, may be better quality. I'd want him offered £4k max.

If he rejects then fine - there are plenty of other strikers around who could get goals for us.

That's why I'm saying, lower wage, but big bonuses.

That's why I'm saying, lower wage, but big bonuses.

But big bonuses are just as bad - he will either fail or cost us a fortune.

These kind of bonuses can be bad for teams - I know it's a different clause but look at Purse and Miller for us, or Hughes for Pompey.

If we do as you said and Mellor scores every week we would be paying him about £13,000 - 15,000 p/w

If he gets 20 a season it will be about £8,000-£10,000

Still more than I would pay him