Megson - 2nd Worst Manager Of All Time

Tell me this Adam... do you really believe that Irvine's side playing the likes of Yeovil, Sflaphorpe, even Southport, and getting those statistics is proof of a better manager compared to Big Ron, who had to mastermind playing the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham, and Everton...

Erm... No. Your argument doesn't stack up at all.

Edited by Anthndav

previous poster was bang on the money with lies, damn, lies and stats. Megson's only just got going. Give the man a chance. He can only sign loan players so his hands are tied to some extent. Is he worse than David Pleat for blowing millions on sh*te, or Danny Wilson for not knowing how to handle the Italians and selling them for next to nowt, or Trevor Francis for wanting to see Cantona play on grass? Stats mean very little as there are so many variables, such as transfer funds available, playing staff at start of tenure etc.

Football is simply big business, like it or not. Fortunately, we have a shrewd, experienced, successful businessman at the helm. And I think it likely he will improve the business, with or without GM.

I will concede that the manager has slagged the players off too much in public. Players have all the power at the vast majority of clubs and they won't be too worried about not performing, as they still get paid and don't miss out on trophies or promotion by sitting in the reserves.

I firmly believe that the chairman will make the right decision. Now we're debt free, it's just a matter of time if MM has the money.

Megson has inherited the worse set of players of any manager in 30 years.

Just as Darren Ferguson did at Preston after following Irvine.

The same Darren Ferguson who managed the Peterboro side that spanked us the other week with some exciting forwards.

The Preston fans warned us about what sort of signings Irvine would make. Many who he would sign on long contracts and not play.

Irvine mite very well have contributed to Preston getting relegated this season as well as us.

Yes last nite was awful but seriously just look thru our squad and ask yourself how many of them would you want to keep next season? I bet most of you would struggle to honestly name more than 4.

I think i will judge Megson when he has had time to build his own team, not with this lot of Irvines.

No it doesn't, because it doesn't take into account the fact that he lost very nearly as many matches as he won, or the standard of the opposition.

yes it does

its a table of wins,loses,and draws,,,i think i might take into account wins and loses

as for the standard of the opposition,well thats only relative to the standard of our team

ie, big ron,was playing in the prem,but had a prem team,,,

irvine had half his career using laws 9 loses in a row ,4points drift team,more than makes up for any percieved advantage this year(an aqdvantage megson cant seem to capitalise on )

also if you add goals per game alan sits at the top,not bad for a "negatvie manager"

yes it does

its a table of wins,loses,and draws,,,i think i might take into account wins and loses

as for the standard of the opposition,well thats only relative to the standard of our team

ie, big ron,was playing in the prem,but had a prem team,,,

irvine had half his career using laws 9 loses in a row ,4points drift team,more than makes up for any percieved advantage this year(an aqdvantage megson cant seem to capitalise on )

also if you add goals per game alan sits at the top,not bad for a "negatvie manager"

YOU'RE TRYING TOO HARD.

The same Darren Ferguson who managed the Peterboro side that spanked us the other week with some exciting forwards.

The Preston fans warned us about what sort of signings Irvine would make. Many who he would sign on long contracts and not play.

Irvine mite very well have contributed to Preston getting relegated this season as well as us.

Yes last nite was awful but seriously just look thru our squad and ask yourself how many of them would you want to keep next season? I bet most of you would struggle to honestly name more than 4.

I think i will judge Megson when he has had time to build his own team, not with this lot of Irvines.

you could look at it that way,,which is very negative

or you could say irvine has out performed the last 4 managers hes shared teams with,each to there own

Maybe the table would be more reporesentative if it were contextualised a bit

Say 10 points for a win in the premier, 5 for a draw - 6 points for a championship win and 3 for a draw - 3 points for a league 1 win and 1 for a draw

-25 points for releagtion - +25 points for promotion

+15 points for getting to a a cup semi final and 30 points for a win

50 points for getting to the final and 75 points for winning a cup

25 points for every game in europe

Then league placing points - add 20 extra points for every win while we're in the top 3rd of the premier - 10 for the mid sector and 5 for the bottom sector

10/5/1 for the championship

3/1/0 for league 1

Or make up a load of poo poo like the original post and i have just done - then come to the conclusion of which manager ranks where

Maybe the table would be more reporesentative if it were contextualised a bit

Say 10 points for a win in the premier, 5 for a draw - 6 points for a championship win and 3 for a draw - 3 points for a league 1 win and 1 for a draw

-25 points for releagtion - +25 points for promotion

+15 points for getting to a a cup semi final and 30 points for a win

50 points for getting to the final and 75 points for winning a cup

25 points for every game in europe

Then league placing points - add 20 extra points for every win while we're in the top 3rd of the premier - 10 for the mid sector and 5 for the bottom sector

10/5/1 for the championship

3/1/0 for league 1

Or make up a load of poo poo like the original post and i have just done - then come to the conclusion of which manager ranks where

They are the facts scram. The bloke is beyond inept. Playing Potter on the right wing was just the cherry on top last night!

you could look at it that way,,which is very negative

or you could say irvine has out performed the last 4 managers hes shared teams with,each to there own

Or you could say that at Preston and with us he had more money than the previous manager and left both clubs with crap players on long contracts that some other poor sod had to try to work with.

Or you could say that at Preston and with us he had more money than the previous manager and left both clubs with crap players on long contracts that some other poor sod had to try to work with.

but almost got preston into the premier league.

swings and roundabouts

Guest SimonR_SWFC

Going off on a bit of tangent I don't quite get all the blame attributed to Irvine for the mess Preston are in 15 months later.

When he was sacked Preston were midtable, just as close to the play-offs as to the bottom 3. Billy Davies had a similarly indifferent first halves during his two seasons in charge and he got them to two play-off finishes (same as Irvine had done his previous season) including one final appearance.

Surely the board are more to blame for their total mishandling of the financial situation, as well as Darren Ferguson not being being able to the best out of (if playing them at all) Irvine's signings and proving to be just as out of his depth during his second spell at Championship level as first time round?

No it doesn't, because it doesn't take into account the fact that he lost very nearly as many matches as he won, or the standard of the opposition.

jack charltons record doesnt look to good and he had 3 years in the third playing dour football and yet he is arguably the best manager we,ve had in 50 years .....which goes to show stats prove nowt

Love it how people are already calling for Megson's head. Irvine got us relegated and fvcked us over again and still managed to get around 13 months. Megson has had around 2 Months? Surely we should give him time because I know when he brings his own players in we will go up.

Very few are calling for his head. Irvine was sacked and rightly so. Megson needs to be held accountable for what is happening now though. Our performances have deteriorated under Megson and we aren't picking up points. If we continue the current form that we have shown under Megson we will be relegated.

Irvine's statistics aren't hurt by cup games against the likes of Bury, Northampton, Chesterfield, Hereford and Southport this season. Of course, it may be that some of those other managers may be similarly affected by such considerations, but someone else will have to look into that if they can be bothered. But the idea that the raw data shows Irvine as better than Atkinson, Francis and Charlton tells you all you need to know about the method's reliability.

For what it's worth, Irvine's league record is a rather less impressive P49 W17 (34.69%) D12 (24.49%) L20 (40.82%) GD0 PTS63.

yes it does

No it doesn't.

It's a table ranked by wins from games played, so doesn't take any account of whether the remaining games were drawn or lost. It takes in to account wins and 'not wins'.

Going by this system, a manager with a record of P50 W25 D0 L25 (total Pts = 75) would rank above a manager with a record of P50 W24 D25 L1 (total Pts = 97), which is quite clearly bolllocks.

Ultimately, Alan Irvine was disastrous for this club, and no amount of you masturbating over the picture of him you keep under your pillow, or posting shitty failed drama student videos on Youtube, will alter that.

Megson isn't doing very well on that front either is he.

It doesn't appear so, and I don't think a single person on this thread has argued otherwise. But it's difficult to judge any manager in relation to another if the criteria is flawed.

*Goes off to compile a table of managers ranked on left-footed goals only*

No it doesn't.

It's a table ranked by wins from games played, so doesn't take any account of whether the remaining games were drawn or lost. It takes in to account wins and 'not wins'.

Going by this system, a manager with a record of P50 W25 D0 L25 (total Pts = 75) would rank above a manager with a record of P50 W24 D25 L1 (total Pts = 97), which is quite clearly bolllocks.

Ultimately, Alan Irvine was disastrous for this club, and no amount of you masturbating over the picture of him you keep under your pillow, or posting shitty failed drama student videos on Youtube, will alter that.

It doesn't appear so, and I don't think a single person on this thread has argued otherwise. But it's difficult to judge any manager in relation to another if the criteria is flawed.

*Goes off to compile a table of managers ranked on left-footed goals only*

:biggrin: