Purse to millwall?

Guest SecondWind

I wonder with all the signings and his contract being up at end of season, whether AI has told him he can find another club now. The club will more than likley let him leave for nothing.

I'd like C Morrison to be captain but the only play guaranteed a start is Weaver!

Id rather move Purse and Hinds on than Beevers if I'm honest.

On his day Purse is a great organiser and looked good towards the end of last season and the beginning of the season when he found some consistency.

He's been a bit jittery lately and I cant imagine us renewing his contract as he's on big wages.

Purse has been a great captain and great asset to the club. Sadly it has to be said he is now making blunders far too frequently and he is no longer good enough. Good luck to him if he moves

Did you get this quote from the Cardiff website by the way ? :blink:

Edited by owls-swfc

Guest BoomTownOwls

If this is true I will personally polish his head, brush his teeth, get his suit and tie on, drive him and his family down to London and then shuttle all of his furniture to and from Sheffield in a two seater sports convertible, even if it takes 100 trips.

If this is true I will personally polish his head, brush his teeth, get his suit and tie on, drive him and his family down to London and then shuttle all of his furniture to and from Sheffield in a two seater sports convertible, even if it takes 100 trips.

I only hope I can get a couple of games for Wednesday next time I have to move house if this service is on offer to all error-prone ageing centre backs.

Guest wistowowl

Purse is possibly one of the worse defenders I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt........give the job to Weaves and let the young/quick and more agile defenders in there!!

Note to Millwall.........we will pay his train fare.

Purse is possibly one of the worse defenders I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt........give the job to Weaves and let the young/quick and more agile defenders in there!!

Note to Millwall.........we will pay his train fare.

Hendon, Westwood, Dean Smith, Beswetherick, Barry-Murphy......?

Wonder if Purse has asked for a move?

He's never really been fully accepted after his nightmare form when he 1st joined and he's been getting stick from the crowd. Then there was the booing last Saturday. He might feel enough is enough and is trying to get a move to the club he wants to end his career at?

Maybe not, but you never know.

They are worse then him but no one makes me as angry as Purse.

Think it is partly because I foolish expected him to be the thing we were missing in defence.

Aye, I hear you there; I was excited by the prospect of him signing too. Still can't get over how bad last season was, and I'm embarrassed to admit that during that summer I was expecting us to be pushing for the play-offs. Just seems mental now.

Confirmed in the The Star; :biggrin:

Lions eye up Purse Move

"Owls captain Darren Purse could be set to join Millwall before the January transfer window shuts.

The Championship side want a centre half and are understood to have expressed an interest in the 33-year-old Londoner who supported them as a youngster"

Edited by owls-swfc

Darren Purse is far away from being the 'worst' Sheffield Wednesday defender ever; he hasn't even been the worst defender for us this season (I'll let Spurr and Beevers fight that award out). However, I'm sure he is the first to admit, that he doesn't do 'average' games, he is either solid as a rock, or drops a proper clanger (Lee Bullen anyone... but he didn't get this much stick I here you say). Most fans seemingly won't forgive him for his start of his Wednesday career, despite the fact that when he got himself sorted, he was our best player from about November onwards in our last season in the Championship, and he started this season pretty well too. Wednesday fans seem to be a stubborn lot, once the mind is made up about a player, most are loathed to change. For example I even remember some saying 'good riddance' when we sold Chris Brunt, many seemingly unable to alter their judgement of the player as they had made their mind up he was a lazy so and so who was better off out of our team, despite the fact he was one of the only true talents we had had in years, who looks destined to play for one of the top teams in the country soon. I'm not comparing Brunt and Purse's abilility, just illustrating the point that a lot of our fans will never forgive a player, no matter how good, once their mind is made up on them.

Expectation has been Purse's biggest problem, and as someone said we all thought he was going to come in and solve our defensive problems overnight. Many felt let down I am sure after the start he had, and rightly so, he was abysmal at first. However, Purse had the stones to stick at it, and he did turn the corner and look a rock for us, until of late when the errors are starting to creep back in (like his first few months here). However, I find it sickening to see a player with the commitment of Purse be given the abuse he has. Lets not forget, Purse has never once complained about having to play most of this season injured (the rib injury that was so visible), or complained about the fans constantly abusing him for every little error. He has always given 100%, and while this isn't enough to qualify you for a place in the team (yes - I do believe Purse should be dropped if he stays), it is enough to exempt you from the abuse he has had.

The move to Milwall would probably suit us well all round. Purse would get to move back home, play for his boyhood club, and get to play a role in the development of young players at Milwall no doubt on a long-term basis. We would free up some more wages in a position we are currently over-subscribed in. It just saddens me when I see things like 'worst defender ever' when he clearly isn't. OK he may not have lived up to your expectations of what he was going to be, but he is far, far away from being worthy of such words. I think Purse knows he probably has to get out now though, and a final point was in the second half last week, when Purse made that sliding interception (crucial to prevent the attacker behind touching the ball in), and for a moment it looked as if it was going to trickle over the line. Well, some of the abuse he got from around where I sit was staggering; he had just saved a certain goal, but because it was Purse, the fact he had nearly put it in his own net in the process (despite their being no other direction he could go in) was enough for the abuse to start up again. If a player hasn't given 100% etc then I can stomach it a bit, but when a player is clearly giving his all every week, I find it saddening the levels of abuse they can get at the games. If he does leave, he leaves with my best wishes and thanks for his efforts here.

Rant over, I'll let you all continue with the 'Darren Purse is the worst defender ever to play for SWFC, and is worse than Ashley Westwood/Dean Smith/Craig Armstrong/John Beswetherwick/Ian Hendon' posts.