Purse to millwall?

Guest SecondWind

Darren Purse is far away from being the 'worst' Sheffield Wednesday defender ever; he hasn't even been the worst defender for us this season (I'll let Spurr and Beevers fight that award out). However, I'm sure he is the first to admit, that he doesn't do 'average' games, he is either solid as a rock, or drops a proper clanger (Lee Bullen anyone... but he didn't get this much stick I here you say). Most fans seemingly won't forgive him for his start of his Wednesday career, despite the fact that when he got himself sorted, he was our best player from about November onwards in our last season in the Championship, and he started this season pretty well too. Wednesday fans seem to be a stubborn lot, once the mind is made up about a player, most are loathed to change. For example I even remember some saying 'good riddance' when we sold Chris Brunt, many seemingly unable to alter their judgement of the player as they had made their mind up he was a lazy so and so who was better off out of our team, despite the fact he was one of the only true talents we had had in years, who looks destined to play for one of the top teams in the country soon. I'm not comparing Brunt and Purse's abilility, just illustrating the point that a lot of our fans will never forgive a player, no matter how good, once their mind is made up on them.

Expectation has been Purse's biggest problem, and as someone said we all thought he was going to come in and solve our defensive problems overnight. Many felt let down I am sure after the start he had, and rightly so, he was abysmal at first. However, Purse had the stones to stick at it, and he did turn the corner and look a rock for us, until of late when the errors are starting to creep back in (like his first few months here). However, I find it sickening to see a player with the commitment of Purse be given the abuse he has. Lets not forget, Purse has never once complained about having to play most of this season injured (the rib injury that was so visible), or complained about the fans constantly abusing him for every little error. He has always given 100%, and while this isn't enough to qualify you for a place in the team (yes - I do believe Purse should be dropped if he stays), it is enough to exempt you from the abuse he has had.

The move to Milwall would probably suit us well all round. Purse would get to move back home, play for his boyhood club, and get to play a role in the development of young players at Milwall no doubt on a long-term basis. We would free up some more wages in a position we are currently over-subscribed in. It just saddens me when I see things like 'worst defender ever' when he clearly isn't. OK he may not have lived up to your expectations of what he was going to be, but he is far, far away from being worthy of such words. I think Purse knows he probably has to get out now though, and a final point was in the second half last week, when Purse made that sliding interception (crucial to prevent the attacker behind touching the ball in), and for a moment it looked as if it was going to trickle over the line. Well, some of the abuse he got from around where I sit was staggering; he had just saved a certain goal, but because it was Purse, the fact he had nearly put it in his own net in the process (despite their being no other direction he could go in) was enough for the abuse to start up again. If a player hasn't given 100% etc then I can stomach it a bit, but when a player is clearly giving his all every week, I find it saddening the levels of abuse they can get at the games. If he does leave, he leaves with my best wishes and thanks for his efforts here.

Rant over, I'll let you all continue with the 'Darren Purse is the worst defender ever to play for SWFC, and is worse than Ashley Westwood/Dean Smith/Craig Armstrong/John Beswetherwick/Ian Hendon' posts.

Brilliant post

Darren Purse is far away from being the 'worst' Sheffield Wednesday defender ever; he hasn't even been the worst defender for us this season (I'll let Spurr and Beevers fight that award out). However, I'm sure he is the first to admit, that he doesn't do 'average' games, he is either solid as a rock, or drops a proper clanger (Lee Bullen anyone... but he didn't get this much stick I here you say). Most fans seemingly won't forgive him for his start of his Wednesday career, despite the fact that when he got himself sorted, he was our best player from about November onwards in our last season in the Championship, and he started this season pretty well too. Wednesday fans seem to be a stubborn lot, once the mind is made up about a player, most are loathed to change. For example I even remember some saying 'good riddance' when we sold Chris Brunt, many seemingly unable to alter their judgement of the player as they had made their mind up he was a lazy so and so who was better off out of our team, despite the fact he was one of the only true talents we had had in years, who looks destined to play for one of the top teams in the country soon. I'm not comparing Brunt and Purse's abilility, just illustrating the point that a lot of our fans will never forgive a player, no matter how good, once their mind is made up on them.

Expectation has been Purse's biggest problem, and as someone said we all thought he was going to come in and solve our defensive problems overnight. Many felt let down I am sure after the start he had, and rightly so, he was abysmal at first. However, Purse had the stones to stick at it, and he did turn the corner and look a rock for us, until of late when the errors are starting to creep back in (like his first few months here). However, I find it sickening to see a player with the commitment of Purse be given the abuse he has. Lets not forget, Purse has never once complained about having to play most of this season injured (the rib injury that was so visible), or complained about the fans constantly abusing him for every little error. He has always given 100%, and while this isn't enough to qualify you for a place in the team (yes - I do believe Purse should be dropped if he stays), it is enough to exempt you from the abuse he has had.

The move to Milwall would probably suit us well all round. Purse would get to move back home, play for his boyhood club, and get to play a role in the development of young players at Milwall no doubt on a long-term basis. We would free up some more wages in a position we are currently over-subscribed in. It just saddens me when I see things like 'worst defender ever' when he clearly isn't. OK he may not have lived up to your expectations of what he was going to be, but he is far, far away from being worthy of such words. I think Purse knows he probably has to get out now though, and a final point was in the second half last week, when Purse made that sliding interception (crucial to prevent the attacker behind touching the ball in), and for a moment it looked as if it was going to trickle over the line. Well, some of the abuse he got from around where I sit was staggering; he had just saved a certain goal, but because it was Purse, the fact he had nearly put it in his own net in the process (despite their being no other direction he could go in) was enough for the abuse to start up again. If a player hasn't given 100% etc then I can stomach it a bit, but when a player is clearly giving his all every week, I find it saddening the levels of abuse they can get at the games. If he does leave, he leaves with my best wishes and thanks for his efforts here.

Rant over, I'll let you all continue with the 'Darren Purse is the worst defender ever to play for SWFC, and is worse than Ashley Westwood/Dean Smith/Craig Armstrong/John Beswetherwick/Ian Hendon' posts.

Well said. And in addition, he's been an excellent ambassador for the club, a good club captain, and has handled himself with enormous dignity. He may not be the best defender in the world, but he's thoughtful, honest, and intelligent.

My thoughts on Purse;

He kept us in as many games as he took us out of, therefore imo was no worse than anyone else that has played for us recently,

He made one amazing tackle that saved us from conceeding as often as he made a blunder that gave away a goal…

Well said blueandwhitematt.

Fantastic post.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everyone blamed Purse for the 2 goals on Saturday......but after watching the game, I feel there wasn't much he could have done for the first.......and people critisised him for letting the ball bounce for the second, but it was 10 yards away!

Still think he does a good impression of a pub player mind.

Brilliant post.

If this transfer comes off I'll be amongst the first to wish Darren the best at his new club. He hasn't had the best of times on the pitch and he is coming to the end of his career but what I can tell you in that I am a manager at the Sheffield Children's hospital. Darren is an ambassador for the hospital and frequently gives of his own time to visit us and support this hospital - it doesn't get reported in the press and Darren doesn't seek to get smartie points for doing it.

He does have a genuine desire to help where he can and for that I thank him. Good luck Darren.

Nice endorsement, clifford.

Cracking post from the lad above. Sums it up tbh. Didn't even warrent abuse for last week's goals- the first was more Johnson's fault that Purse's. Heck, the 1st one Purse could have done little about it but everyone loves this radiator joke so can't slate him can they..

Guest Stereophonics

I really wanted Purse to be good. He comes across as a player that genuinly cares for the club and it must have hurt to go back in training on the Monday as captain in front of his new colleagues after getting booed on the saturday.

Edited by Stereophonics

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everyone blamed Purse for the 2 goals on Saturday......but after watching the game, I feel there wasn't much he could have done for the first.......and people critisised him for letting the ball bounce for the second, but it was 10 yards away!

The problem is that way too many fans like to pin things on him that he has nothing to do with - like the first goal on saturday - not even close to being to balme for that

Take the penalty - and yes he has to take the blame for a stupid challenge - but if roles were reversed with RJ then Purse would be getting all the blame for the poor defending by RJ in the first place - people just look to actively blame Purse all the time and it makes then look stupid sometimes tbh - i think even his most rabid critics have now accepted that he wasn't to blame for Charlton's 1st goal - but he took enough dogs abuse for it initially - some also look to analyse any small part a Purse misjudgement may have made in conceding any goal and if they find something then the goal is instantly his fault - no matter what the circumstances or how many other players made a mess of things leading up to the goal

It's a brilliant post by B&WM and sums up the situation very well - it's not about ignoring any Purse errors and exonerating him - just about being fair really

I really wanted Purse to be good. He comes across as a player that genuinly cares for the club and it must have hurt to go back in training on the Monday as captain in front of his new colleagues after getting booed on the saturday.

This is part of the problem though.

Last Saturday (with two home debuts) we needed Purse to be the calming influence at the back, to utilise his huge experience.

Instead he was the worst out of what was a very jittery defence in the first half.

The penalty he gave away was simply atrocious.

Logic would suggest that Purse will be finding himself on the bench before too long, so perhaps a final hurah at Millwall wouldn't be a bad idea for all concerned.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Players like Dean Smith and Barry Murphy were rubbish. They would get routinely skinned by strikers.

However, I have never seen a player in 18 months give so many goals away by ridiculous, stupid individual errors. He rarely gets skinned by forwards. His errors seem to be when you think there is no danger and all of a sudden he has missed a routine header or interception and the striker is clean through.

The difference between Purse and the other terrible defenders is that we knew they were terrible when we bought them. They were all we could afford and were paid accordingly. Purse is paid £7K per week and now Tudgay has left is our highest earner.

This isn't the fault of Purse, who can blame him for taking such an offer. The fault is with Brian Laws for signing him. I think he got booed on Saturday because fans were despairing that he was still getting in the team and saw this as the only way to get Irvine to take notice. That is the fault of Alan Irvine. I also think that the confidence of Mark Beevers has taken a massive bash through playing with Purse and I genuinely expect Beevers to go on and have at least a decent Championship career at a different club.

Darren Purse - Nice guy, tries hard but he has cost us more points through individual errors than any player over the last 30 years (subjective I know). Brian Laws and Alan Irvine are to blame for signing him and continuing to pick him respecetively. To be fair to Irvine, until now his options within the squad have been limited at best.

Edited by BoomTownOwls

The scapegoat circle has turned this week to Darren Purse.

So far this season, Tommy Spurr has headed most Scapeggoat Weeks, closely followed by Darren Potter and Chris Sedgwick.

This is lazy journalism.

Purse has a stinker > Wednesday sign three defenders > Purse is a Millwall fan = Purse goes to Millwall.

Guest pac-man

The scapegoat circle has turned this week to Darren Purse.

So far this season, Tommy Spurr has headed most Scapeggoat Weeks, closely followed by Darren Potter and Chris Sedgwick.

This is lazy journalism.

Purse has a stinker > Wednesday sign three defenders > Purse is a Millwall fan = Purse goes to Millwall.

You missed out Buxton.