Giving Irvine another chance if we do sign half a new team?

Personally I believe Irvine's a poor manager (I won't bother trotting out the statistics that you've all seen a million times before), I've honestly in my head accepted that we won't be promoted this season and I lay the blame for that at his door but at the same time I think a few of our players aren't good enough to play for Sheffield Wednesday and never have been. So for that reason if we do sign 6 players is it just me that's thinking about chilling out a bit and just seeing what happens?

If he continues to fail after bringing in 9 players in the Summer and 6 now he's gone anyway, MM isn't going to let him buy half a team then say "Well Alan, you f*cked it up but sod it, have another crack at it next season". And to be honest I reckon he'll be gone before the end of the season if things don't pick up sharpish.

Personally I believe Irvine's a poor manager (I won't bother trotting out the statistics that you've all seen a million times before), I've honestly in my head accepted that we won't be promoted this season and I lay the blame for that at his door but at the same time I think a few of our players aren't good enough to play for Sheffield Wednesday and never have been. So for that reason if we do sign 6 players is it just me that's thinking about chilling out a bit and just seeing what happens?

If he continues to fail after bringing in 9 players in the Summer and 6 now he's gone anyway, MM isn't going to let him buy half a team then say "Well Alan, you f*cked it up but sod it, have another crack at it next season". And to be honest I reckon he'll be gone before the end of the season if things don't pick up sharpish.

He was brought in to keep us up and he failed. Promotion is the target this season if we don't achieve this then he will have failed again and MM will sack him!

Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.

He'll sanction the signing of good players at good prices for this league with Championship potential or experience.

AI will have a short-term target and if it's looking ropey he'll be sacked between Christmas and Easter.

The league is tight.

He'll get shot of him the minute we really look like dropping away.

He needs to win something like four from the next six or he'll be out.

MM has shown he's not rumbleing about.

And the thing is, the players who I don't think are good enough for SWFC were here when he arrived and weren't out of contract in the Summer. So they were definitely going to be a part of his squad this season regardless (because nobody is stupid enough to take them off our hands). Then he had a set budget to play with in order to fill out the rest of the squad.

Let's say for argument's sake our two weakest areas are defence and centre midfield, players weren't out of contract in those positions so he couldn't move them on and had to spend his budget on other areas of the squad. If he addresses those areas this month I'll be willing to stop saying "Irvine out!" at every opportunity (although I won't be saying "Irvine in") and instead I'll just sit back, try to relax, cheer on the team and see what happens.

Only just got in and don't know much about this "six new signings" stuff.

However, if it is true that we are bringing in six new players then I would be surprised if AI wasn't given until the end of the season.

The question remains, will AI continue with a style of play that clearly isn't working based on the season thus far? Or are these new signings the missing element that will help move us forward?

Would I employ Irvine as a scout ?.....deffinately.....he seems to have an eye for spotting talent in other clubs. This comes about with his obsession for detail and statistics etc.

Would I employ Irvine as a coach ?.....probably.....he seems to get players fit, stay away from injury ( mostly ) and be able to run for 90 mins. Although areas like corners, set pieces, need work on.

Would I emply Irvine as a manager ?.....deffinately not at the moment. He may well improve in time, but his tactical ability, his man management, blinkered approach, by the book methods are so boring and negative.

However it looks like we are stuck with him for the time being, I can only assume if Wednesday drift more than say 6 or so points off 2nd. place then MM will act whilst there is still time to "repair" the damage. January should be interesting. ( weather permitting ).

Only just got in and don't know much about this "six new signings" stuff.

However, if it is true that we are bringing in six new players then I would be surprised if AI wasn't given until the end of the season.

The question remains, will AI continue with a style of play that clearly isn't working based on the season thus far? Or are these new signings the missing element that will help move us forward?

I don't think he'll get that long.

He has been given the funds to improve the areas of the team that are holding us back.

MM has stated several times the importance of promotion this season.

We need to go on a run.

If we don't he'll be out and there will be no outcry from the LMA or the press.

He'll bring someone else in to get us up.

I know what you're saying pal. I want him out as much as the next person, but it appears that he's goin nowhere. So I'm hoping that he can do something with a few decent signings. Time will tell.

Do we have to?

*sighs*

I guess the fact he's getting 6 new players means he will around for a while yet.

Still think we can do better.

Good thread, good sentiments.

My only reservation is that if he does get us promoted. I dont think he will be able to keep us up. I dont want to be a yo-yo club.

I wouldn't mind as much if it was a yoyo between prem an champ, but def not champ an league 1.

Guest Sheff Owl

The worry for me it's ok bringing in players but Irvine is set in his way's with particular things and will not change it.

It's brilliant that we can improve the squad etc but we have to make sure things are right in terms of motivation, mentality can Irvine do that?

From what we have seen so far he is far, far too cautious and more worried about not losing than winning.

Guest wellingborofox

Do we have to?

*sighs*

I guess the fact he's getting 6 new players means he will around for a while yet.

Still think we can do better.

With MM's record at pompey and ours i would say irvine has till mid feb. Results or GONE.

Example Martin Allen bought in 14 new players close season and got 6 matches.

MM is not scared or shy with the order of the boot.

Guest Sheff Owl

He never stood a good chance at keeping us up. Go look at last season squad list.

Many of the players are still playing now....and he KEEPS picking them, he stated he wanted to keep them all after releasing the out of contract players.