ideal transfers

Guest barmy army 1993

I don't rate Craigan at all and he's 34. Well past his best.

Eggert is a solid player, but like you say he'd cost £550k at least, and TBH I think the money could be used better.

Would cost about £2m.

You will see more of him than me so i'll go with you on that one. What Reynolds like as he used to be rated & talked about but he hasnt been mentioned for a while.

Young Loan signing i remember Arsenal lad Nordveidt think been capped and never played for there 1st team?

You will see more of him than me so i'll go with you on that one. What Reynolds like as he used to be rated & talked about but he hasnt been mentioned for a while.

Young Loan signing i remember Arsenal lad Nordveidt think been capped and never played for there 1st team?

Reynolds is a good player. A lot better defender than Craigan IMO. I think he's out of contract at the end of the season too. I would imagine a few clubs will be after him though.

Motherwell v Hearts is on SkySports 4 just now. If you want to have a watch :smile:

Why is everyone saying ALF couldnt cut it just because he hasnt played at Championship level doesnt mean he cant!

Look at Beckford came from Wealdstone, DJ Campbell Yeading, Aaron McLean Grays, George Boyd Stevenage Mackail-Smith Dagenham & Redbridge (Then Conference) and Steve Morisson Stevenage all plucked from Non league and all proving they are capable of playing in at least league 1.

ALF is out of contract at then end of this season too so i can see a bid of £400k tops getting him in Jan i would like to see Andy Reid be signed also then we can have him on left and Teale/JJ on right Fitz Hall is also a great shout i wouldnt mind getting Clarke Carlise either he is a strong defender

Reynolds is a good player. A lot better defender than Craigan IMO. I think he's out of contract at the end of the season too. I would imagine a few clubs will be after him though.

Motherwell v Hearts is on SkySports 4 just now. If you want to have a watch :smile:

I would absolutely love to see us go for Mulgrew who seemingly failed at Celtic, although we have both Jones and Spurr battling for position.

One of better ball-playing full-backs around, excellent set-piece taker as well.

Raynolds is of right age, and looks as a good player as well, while there is simply no point in targeting Craigan.

Championship teams who will be sniffing around the play-offs this season have also been interested in ALF - namely Leicester and Derby.

He's still only 24 and I think he would at least score regularly in League One - which would virtually guarantee us promotion. That alone is worth the 500k or whatever it will cost in my opinion.

If he's not cutting at at Championship level just sell him back to a promotion-chasing League One club at roughly the same price.

I disagree about a holding midfielder. I think we we need a nasty aggressive but athletic box to box type (ala Carlton Palmer) that will do the work for Potter, Coke or Miller whilst also looking after them' at the same time. We need someone who can physically boss the midfield and knock the opposition midfielders out of their stride. The last thing we need is a holding midfielder who will sit in front of the back four and by doing so, invite the opposition onto us. Whilst none of them are the best ball-winners, Potter, Coke and Miller are at their most comfortable when someone else allows them to play by doing all of their work.

Unfortunately, I don't know any player available that is a nasty aggressive but athletic box to box type.

this.

a ball winning midfielder would allow the full backs to push on more and let miller or coke get on with running the game.

A left footed winger, a ball winning midifelder plus cover at centre back and a replacement for tudgay would see us promoted.

I disagree about a holding midfielder. I think we we need a nasty aggressive but athletic box to box type (ala Carlton Palmer) that will do the work for Potter, Coke or Miller whilst also looking after them' at the same time. We need someone who can physically boss the midfield and knock the opposition midfielders out of their stride. The last thing we need is a holding midfielder who will sit in front of the back four and by doing so, invite the opposition onto us. Whilst none of them are the best ball-winners, Potter, Coke and Miller are at their most comfortable when someone else allows them to play by doing all of their work.

Unfortunately, I don't know any player available that is a nasty aggressive but athletic box to box type.

Agreed,

I may be in the minority with this, but i dont like this " holding midfielder " thing that pundits and the like seem to bang on about these days,

For me, holding midfielder means lazy bloke who lacks any real talent with the ball, and cant be arsed to get properly involved in the game, like Gareth Barry in an england shirt.

Lucas, Mascherano, carrying passengers like these are part of the reason liverpool are sh!t these days.

A central midfielder needs to be able to help the defence, and support the attack, going box to box and chipping in with a few goals.

Just an opinion.

I would absolutely love to see us go for Mulgrew who seemingly failed at Celtic, although we have both Jones and Spurr battling for position.

One of better ball-playing full-backs around, excellent set-piece taker as well.

Raynolds is of right age, and looks as a good player as well, while there is simply no point in targeting Craigan.

I'm a big fan of Charlie too. He is being wasted at Celtic at the moment.

Does everything Spurr and Jones can do but he would end our set piece nightmare as well. Our corners and free kicks are still not good enough.

Forget a striker, we desperately need a holding midfielder. It's the one position we are crying out for. What's the point in paying good money for a striker, who isn't going to be a regular this season.? You always end up paying over the odds for a first team player in Janaury, let's get promoted, and then strengthen with permanent signings in the summer.

Richard Hughes from Portsmouth on loan would be a fantastic addition. Martin Rowlands or Gavin Mahon from QPR would also be shrewd temporary options.

I'm hopeful Irvine will have already identified the central midfield as a major issue and priority. Secondary to that, a versatile defender would be a bonus. I don't see a striker as an issue, with Morrison, Mellor, Heffernan and Johnson in the squad.

i seen so called quotes from irvine saying he wants defensive cover and a striker...tbh i agree with you we are crying out for defensive midfield/holding player...without this it throws the whole thing out of balance, and while we do need central defenders (minimum), it's hard to judge them without any defensive midfield cover in front of them...

it would be very nice if we had that sort of money...but, if not a holding type will do nicely for me...we don't need 8 men in attack, 5 will be enough...

Wouldn't want to see ALF here, whenever I've seen him score he just boots the ball straight through the keeper - something you can't do at championship level...

I disagree with leea about holding midfielders. Barry does an important job for City (although why Manchini plays 2-3 holding midfielders I don't know), the reason Lucas and Mascherano have got Liverpool in the poo poo is cause they're not good enough at it. As for midfielders for us, Henri Lansbury looked very lively for Norwich against Ipswich the other day, but he's probably more in the Miller/Potter mould than a holding midfielder and I don't think he'd drop to us now - possibly in the summer though. Also from Arsenal, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas could be a good option for a loan. My arsenal mate always raves about him, again not sure whether he'd drop to League 1, but maybe when we're back in the championship.

That's about the extent of my knowledge of random players so i'll leave it there.

Wouldn't want to see ALF here, whenever I've seen him score he just boots the ball straight through the keeper - something you can't do at championship level...

I disagree with leea about holding midfielders. Barry does an important job for City (although why Manchini plays 2-3 holding midfielders I don't know), the reason Lucas and Mascherano have got Liverpool in the poo poo is cause they're not good enough at it. As for midfielders for us, Henri Lansbury looked very lively for Norwich against Ipswich the other day, but he's probably more in the Miller/Potter mould than a holding midfielder and I don't think he'd drop to us now - possibly in the summer though. Also from Arsenal, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas could be a good option for a loan. My arsenal mate always raves about him, again not sure whether he'd drop to League 1, but maybe when we're back in the championship.

That's about the extent of my knowledge of random players so i'll leave it there.

You make a few good points Paul and i knew a lot of people would disagree.

You're right about Barry for City, although it's Barry in an england shirt i dont like.

Im not sure why, but when it comes to a central midfielder, i just feel they should try to control the game, and get properly involved in it, not just occupy a few yards of space in front of the defence.

As i said before, just an opinion, and im sure plenty will disagree.

Watched the game last night and on that game i'm not convinced about any of them apart from 1.

Templeton looks very lively and would be a great signing on the left wing.

Craigan doesnt look the player i've watched for N Ireland.

Reynolds looked ok but is he any better than Beevers as he doesnt seem the leader type to partner Beevers.

Forbes 5mins.

Nobody else stuck out and i've got to say the football from both sides was as poor as we have seen in lge1 this season.

Think after watching that we should focus on Prem teams and get some loans/rejects in.

I don't think we're desperate for a striker, i'd only bring someone in if they would almost certainly offer us goals...., Kevin Philips, Helguson,.... Leon Clarke. :ph34r: .... Porter is supposed to be available at Derby too.... but IMO we have enough depth up front to score the goals, even with the odd injury.

In regards to loan players, Hughes is a good shout from Portsmouth, and the lad from QPR, Rowlands, doubt he'd come up Norf though, sounds like a move to Palace is on the cards for him.

Not sure if Milan has said he will flash the cash on transfer fees but if we have a bit to play with, Shotton from Stoke, and Kevin Mcdonald from Burnley. 2 young players not getting games for their parent clubs (granted Mcdonald is out on loan at Scunny).

Guest becauseofboxingday

regarding a few earlier posts. Maybe one of the reasons Liverpool are 'in the poo poo' is because they no longer have Mascherano.

Works for Wayne Rooney: "I've always liked striking the ball and hitting it as hard as I can," continued Rooney, who is shorter than perceived but lean and strong. "If you can hit the ball as hard as you possibly can you've always got a chance. The keeper might not be able to hold on to it. Even if he does save it there's a chance of it rebounding for someone else to score