Tonight's hugely important fixtures

I just can't see us going on the sort of run that will 4 or 5 wins from our remaining games. A lot has been made of our new found meanness in defence but I'm not convinced that we are that solid at all. A similar haul of points to that of our last eight games is unlikely to be enough to save us.

I just can't see us going on the sort of run that will 4 or 5 wins from our remaining games. A lot has been made of our new found meanness in defence but I'm not convinced that we are that solid at all. A similar haul of points to that of our last eight games is unlikely to be enough to save us.

Irvine needs to make changes to the wretched midfield that has been the root of our problem all season.

If he does this, we have good enough players in our squad to pull out of it. If he backs them rigidly, I fear the worst.

I don't have confidence in any of our strikers going on a scoring spree but if it is the final throw of the dice, then what about giving Jeffers a run? As I said I don't have confidence in any of them but I suppose if I had to choose one, it would be him.

Irvine needs to make changes to the wretched midfield that has been the root of our problem all season.

If he does this, we have good enough players in our squad to pull out of it. If he backs them rigidly, I fear the worst.

we need to change the mentality as well

You could see on Saturday that the mentality was just "don't get beat"

Wednesday, we have to go at Watford from the off. They have the fragility and mindset, that if they go one behind, they are already beaten away from home

We must exploit this and use said attributes (or lack of in Watfords case) to our advantage

Just for a bit of perspective I thought I'd look up the recent form at the bottom of the table after tonight's results.

On February 9th we beat Blackpool and went up to 18th place. Reading were in the relegation zone at that point and seven clubs battling to avoid 22nd place were separated by just two points. Another three teams were within a further three points.

Since then only three teams have failed to pick up at least one point per game, and we are one of them.

(games played / points)

Doncaster...........11 / 18

Coventry..............8 / 14

Bristol City..........10 / 12

Barnsley...............9 / 10

Reading................7 / 16

Preston...............10 / 10

Ipswich...............10 / 14

Q P R...................9 / 12

Derby...................9 / 9

Sflaphorpe...........9 / 11

Watford................7 / 4

WEDNESDAY.........8 / 6

Crystal Palace........9 / 6

Plymouth............10 / 13

Peterborough.........9 / 9

Edited by DJMortimer

Just for a bit of perspective I thought I'd look up the recent form at the bottom of the table after tonight's results.

On February 9th we beat Blackpool and went up to 18th place. Reading were in the relegation zone at that point and seven clubs battling to avoid 22nd place were separated by just two points. Another three teams were within a further three points.

Since then only three teams have failed to pick up at least one point per game, and we are one of them.

(games played / points)

Coventry................8 / 14

Q P R.....................9 / 12

Derby.....................9 / 9

Watford..................7 / 4

WEDNESDAY.......8 / 6

Crystal Palace......9 / 6

Plymouth.............10 / 13

Peterborough.......9 / 9

ouch

Also highlights what a sterling job Mcdermott has done at Reading

(games played / points)

Coventry..............8 / 14

Q P R...................9 / 12

Derby...................9 / 9

Watford................7 / 4

WEDNESDAY.........8 / 6

Crystal Palace........9 / 6

Plymouth..............10 / 13

Peterborough.........9 / 9

Plymouth's form suggests they will be able to pull out of it.

Watford's form is a recent thing, as is Palaces....they could just as easily turn it around and re-find their form.

Our's has been consistently poo poo all season.

Not looking good at this moment in time.

Just looking at the table after tonights games and IF we win tomorrow the table won't look so bad as the likes of Derby & QPR both dropped points today against each other

I know we could have done with Scunny & Plymouth also dropping points but the fact Palace lost was crucial and we now have a great chance to push away from them

I think we'll be OK in the end as Irvine kept Preston up a few seasons back when they were in a similar position so I have faith

Just looking at the table after tonights games and IF we win tomorrow the table won't look so bad as the likes of Derby & QPR both dropped points today against each other

I know we could have done with Scunny & Plymouth also dropping points but the fact Palace lost was crucial and we now have a great chance to push away from them

I think we'll be OK in the end as Irvine kept Preston up a few seasons back when they were in a similar position so I have faith

I said several weeks ago that Palace's slump in form following administration and tough run-in could be the most crucial factors in our own hopes.

But what a sad commentary it will be if we end up depending on another team being docked points for financial mismanagement in order to survive.

I said several weeks ago that Palace's slump in form following administration and tough run-in could be the most crucial factors in our own hopes.

But what a sad commentary it will be if we end up depending on another team being docked points for financial mismanagement in order to survive.

For me it should be automatic relegation anyway.

Do wish we had got 10 points more then them though.

Begs the question.. was our amazing start under Irvine the "honeymoon" period, or is he actually a far better manager than Mr. Laws?

And if indeed it is the honeymoon period, then players should flipping play every match as if to impress the manager

Guest owls_4_life

Begs the question.. was our amazing start under Irvine the "honeymoon" period, or is he actually a far better manager than Mr. Laws?

And if indeed it is the honeymoon period, then players should flipping play every match as if to impress the manager

Things seem to be a bit more professional at least. I'm not sure what Laws' pre match prep consisted of but it seems Irvine really focuses on picking up on the type of opposition we're going to play and studying them in order to find weak points etc.

Also the subs do a better half time warm up than playing keep it up !

He hasn't really changed the team. Same as Laws, he's stuck pretty rigidly to a team that has failed us.

Irvine you have to change the M I D F I E L D!!!!

To be honest I think we just have a squad that is rotten to it's core. When things are going well it's all rainbows and butterflies but when the chips are down the majority don't have the bottle/heart/spine to stand up and fight for our club. If by some miracle we stay up it'll be a massive get out of jail free card, because this squad deserves to be relegated. Scunny may be crap but they have fight and they never give up. I wouldn't bet my life on saying the same thing about us, unfortunately.

On the bright side we have a couple of players that could form the spine of a really good squad, as well as having a really promising manager and a fan as a chairman. That almost balances out how let down I feel by this set of players.

I think were more solid and harder to beat as he promised. The rest has been a confidence problem.

At the start of the season we played open attacking football and our attackers on the whole started to get goals, JJ, Tudgay, Varney, Clarke all got a few early doors. Then they all lost form but our defence was still open and we got raped week in week out.

Irvine has tightened us up at the back, but our attacking ability is like a pendulum swinging from either confidence or totally within ourselves. I want to stay optimistic, but the odds look against us this season, especially after tonight. I dont think weve been this up against it with the teams around us in a long time.

Its pretty grim that I predicted this may happen at the start of the season, our team cant handle positive expectation and has had no spine until Miller returned from fitness recently.

What a poo poo night, were officially waist deep in it now.

Sflaphorpe are a poor side but they dont have know how to make Glanford Park a horrible place to go.

I have a feeling tomorrow night could have us neck high.

Could have been worse, what with Palace losing.

Obviously to give ourselves a fighting chance we have to be within 2 points of Palace going into the last game.

Looking at the run-in, I can see Palace picking up no more than 11 points between now and then, which would mean we need 8 points from the next 7, + a win on the final day. Not the worst equation.

I honestly think we'll beat the Pigs.