We are broken and we have to fix ourselves

Indeed, but our esteemed chairman wants many many more of us to turn up on a Saturday, and invest in a season ticket, so I'm not sure, 'it's your money, do what you want' really works as a marketing campaign.

I'm not trying to get you to buy a season ticket though! I'm offering my own opinion; if you think going to a game is a waste of money then don't go!

It's pointless complaining to Lee about an issue that goes beyond this club.

I'm not trying to get you to buy a season ticket though! I'm offering my own opinion; if you think going to a game is a waste of money then don't go!

It's pointless complaining to Lee about an issue that goes beyond this club.

Not sure, why trying to gain a deeper understanding as to why we aren't hitting our season ticket targets is 'pointless', but that said, I think I understand your disappointment.

I know the targets set by the club are challenging, but to me, if we can understand why people would rather spend their money on things more enjoyable, then we can begin to address the problem.

Yet another superbly divisive post, Mr Chairman.

Here's an idea for you:

Instead of pushing the blame onto our long suffering and shat upon support base, and instead of imposing ludicrous top down ticket buying targets which bear no relationship to the dross which is actually being served up on the pitch, why don't you set some targets for yourself in relation to investment and on the pitch performances? And do us all a favour and post those targets on here. Oh, and tell us precisely what sanctions you'll apply to yourself if you mess up.

Failing that:

Posted Image

is it not the case that lee posts things on here like "buy a flipping ST or ill deck thi" n the fact that most of us on here already do rubs people up the wrong way?

maybe he should put an advert saying the same in't star, or in pigs match program?

i think he's a bit of a legend.

when he comes on here all fire n brimstone i reckon he's had a few scoops n decided its a good idea to log in n dish out some grief.

needless to say,

he's done us a lot of good.

aside from't squad like, tho its hardly his fault that uncle bri ran riot.

Edited by dave angel

Yet another superbly divisive post, Mr Chairman.

Here's an idea for you:

Instead of pushing the blame onto our long suffering and shat upon support base, and instead of imposing ludicrous top down ticket buying targets which bear no relationship to the dross which is actually being served up on the pitch, why don't you set some targets for yourself in relation to investment and on the pitch performances? And do us all a favour and post those targets on here. Oh, and tell us precisely what sanctions you'll apply to yourself if you mess up.

Failing that:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest totemowl

Many years ago around 1990 I think, Alex Ferguson had the same issues with Man United fans. He was fed up of their whinging, complaining performances and told this to the fans in no uncertain terms. This was of a team that had won next to nothing in years, despite having England internationals. He actually identified that that was preventing success.

I don't know how he did it nor what the club did but within a couple of years the attitude of fans had changed markedly. They stopped all the whinging and tolerated play that didn't meet their expectations. They supported the players rather than berated them.

Success, or at least much greater success, followed.

Many years ago around 1990 I think, Alex Ferguson had the same issues with Man United fans. He was fed up of their whinging, complaining performances and told this to the fans in no uncertain terms. This was of a team that had won next to nothing in years, despite having England internationals. He actually identified that that was preventing success.

I don't know how he did it nor what the club did but within a couple of years the attitude of fans had changed markedly. They stopped all the whinging and tolerated play that didn't meet their expectations. They supported the players rather than berated them.

Success, or at least much greater success, followed.

I think he did it by winning trophies! Edited by M Royds

It "was" not our fault.

We "were" the victims.

But its been over a year now and we are no longer being mislead by our club. We are no longer being taken advantage of. Yet far too many of us are behaving like the abuse victim that turns round and then becomes the abuser. As a consequence we are not backing this team (emotionally as well as financially) as it struggles through a tough season that management execution (absence of) created. Yet we have backed squads in the recent past that are nowhere near as good as the one we have today.

Our club will not progress until everyone moves on from the negativity that has seeped into our very bones this past 15 years or so.

Reality - We are a struggling championship club trying to lift ourselves financially, emotionally and by best practice up to being a strong championship club. We have the opportunity to do this because our fan base is large enough and the rest of football is melting down. We have a genuine opportunity, but only if we want to make it happen.

To do this will take us all adopting a positive yet pragmatic (not unrealistic) mindset.

To do this will take us all maintaining our football budget at £6m-£7m a year for a period long enough for AI to shape our squad and develop a new Wednesday football identity. Then we move forward again.

For us all not to want to make this happen would be insane, you would think. Yet so many just want to carry on the negativity and the mistrust and the infighting. This being behaviour that we were conditioned to by those wonderful people that created the problems at our club...................

Its time to wake up, the relegation battle effort needs us and the club being driven forward only happens if we all push in the same direction (emotionally and financially)

Lots of us have committed to moving forward (that's what keeps me going), but many are threatening to stop and many more have just not woken up still.

We all pull together and we can retain our position in this league and take the opportunity in front of us together.

We let this all unwind and I fear it will all end up a lot worse than 18 months ago.

Regards

Lee

Good post and Ive always agreed with the message.

However,This season has gone inexplicably wrong and the optimism forged in the summer has gone sour, someone be it the players, brian laws etc have to take some of the blame for this. I think this summer showed how many of us were looking forwards rather than backwards, but the "abused" fan base have been abused by crap on the pitch as well as the previous administration and despite this lot being our strongest on paper, they have been hugely dissapointing, they cant handle the expectations of an optimistic fan base unfortunately. This will always bring back bad memories for supporters.

Its not possible for me to get a season ticket due to living away and work etc but Ive been to a fair few games in the first half of the season..I will pull my finger out and get to a few more between now and May.

Edited by Bluesteel

Guest totemowl

I think he did it by winning trophies!

Did he? That's a good point and one that has no doubt made the Man United fans very happy. But I don't think it was like that at all. I think he had to create a more positive attitude among the fans before they won trophies. This thread appears to have a similar objective.

Guest totemowl

Compared to Man United.

I've heard it all now :biggrin:

You must be one of the junior Owls. Not so many years ago - way back in the 90s - we compared very well with them.

Did he? That's a good point and one that has no doubt made the Man United fans very happy. But I don't think it was like that at all. I think he had to create a more positive attitude among the fans before they won trophies. This thread appears to have a similar objective.

I think he was almost out on his ear, until he won things.

Wins bring positivity, not the other way round.

You must be one of the junior Owls. Not so many years ago - way back in the 90s - we compared very well with them.

We beat them in a Cup Final - I was there, but thanks for the compliment.

Other than that we have never been anywhere near being compared very well with them.

Guest totemowl

Wouldn't Fergurson of got the chop had they not won that title in 92/93?

The more famous rumour is that he'd have got the chop in 1990 if they lost to Forest in the 3rd round of the cup. They were expected to lose - Forest also compared well to them then - but Mark Robins snatched a 1-0 victory.