Leon Clarke

And if you sit in the North or South stands, between the 18 yard and half way lines, and watch him closely, you'll see how he stands in an offside position, and hasn't got a clue when to move up, which is why he is offside more often than not.

A striker has to know where and when to make his runs, and has to anticipate where the ball is going to be played to him, and when. Clarke has absolutely no awareness of what's going on around him, he never puts a decent shift in, can't head the ball etc etc. He actually mistimes every jump, and 99% of the time is coming down having jumped too early, when the ball hits him on the head.

As I said previously, I didn't go last night, so didn't see the goal, but if Clarke scored with a header, I'd say he made a big mistake and timed his jump correctly.

He didn't mistime his jump last night did he?

This is fair enough

Lets have a look at goals scored in the last season and a half instead??

Clarke - 11

Sodje - 2

Jeffers - 3

Tudgay - 20

Johnson - 9

Varney - 6

Now how about everybody f***s off and leaves the kid to get on with it?

People do the same with Johnson too. It's pathetic. Clarke's not a world beater but he's one of our own and clearly one of the best we have in that position. He scored last night and hopefully he can go on a run and score a few more. He's nowhere near as bad as some people make out. We should be supporting our own players.

People do the same with Johnson too. It's pathetic. Clarke's not a world beater but he's one of our own and clearly one of the best we have in that position. He scored last night and hopefully he can go on a run and score a few more. He's nowhere near as bad as some people make out. We should be supporting our own players.

Pah, why the hell would we do that?

Next you'll be suggesting that we should want the team to beat Peterborough on Saturday.

I think Clarke showed a fair few times last season that he does have ability.

I really hope he can put a goalscoring run together but I don't agree with the 'he's sh!t' and then a game later 'he's quality' madness.

Suppose that's the nature of football fans :biggrin:

Not related to the debate but I remember 'Flash' Gordon Watson doing that frequently. I swear, on one occasion he jumped up for a header so early he had enough time to jump again.

Sold him to southampton for £1.2 Million. Can't believe we were involved in figures like that so long ago.

And if you sit in the North or South stands, between the 18 yard and half way lines, and watch him closely, you'll see how he stands in an offside position, and hasn't got a clue when to move up, which is why he is offside more often than not.

A striker has to know where and when to make his runs, and has to anticipate where the ball is going to be played to him, and when. Clarke has absolutely no awareness of what's going on around him, he never puts a decent shift in, can't head the ball etc etc. He actually mistimes every jump, and 99% of the time is coming down having jumped too early, when the ball hits him on the head.

As I said previously, I didn't go last night, so didn't see the goal, but if Clarke scored with a header, I'd say he made a big mistake and timed his jump correctly.

He wasn't offside once last night.

Yeah he had one or two issues with offside in the past but why dwell on that?

What about the goals he has scored and set up? The way he rarely loses the ball and has excellent vision in tight situations when he is on the ball? His strength and pace?

There will be championship clubs ready to snap him up on a free if we let him go. I have no doubt about that.

This is fair enough

Lets have a look at goals scored in the last season and a half instead??

Clarke - 11

Sodje - 2

Jeffers - 3

Tudgay - 20

Johnson - 9

Varney - 6

Now how about everybody f***s off and leaves the kid to get on with it?

all this proves is that Tudgay is the only decent centre forward we have.

There will be championship clubs ready to snap him up on a free if we let him go. I have no doubt about that.

I would doubt that. the fact is, we would have let him go for a minimal fee 12-18 months ago had someone come in for him, but they didn't. He'd have gone to a league1 team after his loan at Oldham if any of them could afford to pay him.

I think peterborough and sflaphorpe have shown there is real quality in the lower leagues, with players who would love to have the chance that Leon has got now.

Guest totemowl

He's got the skill, touch and power to score plenty of goals at this level. The one thing he has been missing is a killer instinct and the meanness that might get him two or three in a game. Last night he looked more purposeful so perhaps we might hope that Irvine is sorting out that side of his game.

Guest Deleted member

all this proves is that Tudgay is the only decent centre forward we have.

And yet at least 7 of his goals came from when he was playing down the right...

He's got the skill, touch and power to score plenty of goals at this level. The one thing he has been missing is a killer instinct and the meanness that might get him two or three in a game. Last night he looked more purposeful so perhaps we might hope that Irvine is sorting out that side of his game.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pure genius!!

I would doubt that. the fact is, we would have let him go for a minimal fee 12-18 months ago had someone come in for him, but they didn't. He'd have gone to a league1 team after his loan at Oldham if any of them could afford to pay him.

I think peterborough and sflaphorpe have shown there is real quality in the lower leagues, with players who would love to have the chance that Leon has got now.

Yeah, they're even better than us aren't they? Spending more money on non-league players than they'll ever be worth clearly makes you a good Championship side.

And on Leon, it's not like we're gonna sign flipping Rooney any time soon, he clearly picks up a few goals without playing all that much, and does better than a number of other players we have right now. Until we have the money for a 20 goal a season man we have to make do with players like him, and if he goes on a run now then fair play, everyone likes an underdog story.

Some Leon Clarke stats for those interested:

2006-2007 - 3(7) appearances 1 goal(s) 374 minutes 374 minutes per goal 1:4.2 goal:game ratio

2007-2008 - 2(8) appearances 3 goal(s) 329 minutes 110 m/g 1:1.2

2008-2009 - 21(9) appearances 8 goal(s) 1989 minutes 249 m/g 1:2.8

2009-2010 - 9(9) appearances 3 goal(s) 926 minutes 309 m/g 1:3.4

SWFC Total - 35(33) appearances 15 goal(s) 3618 minutes 241 m/g 1:2.7

Loan Spells

2006-2007 (Oldham) - 5(0) appearances 3 goal(s) 446 minutes 149 m/g 1:1.7

2007-2008 (Southend) - 16(0) appearances 8 goal(s) 1370 minutes 171 m/g 1:1.9

Leon Clarke's longest run of starts for SWFC in 3 years with the Club is 11 (25-10-2008 to 13-12-2008), in which his record was:

11(0) appearances 4 goals 910 minutes 228 m/g 1:2.5

**statistics on basis of all games being 90 minutes in length - additional time not included**

Not that there's much point to all that. Some people will only see what they want to see.

Edited by TheGodfather