Leon Clarke

I have a friend who thinks Clarke should not even be a professional. I just don't get it. Leon is one of those players who has an unfortunate demeanour that makes him look lazy or not interested. But, if you watch him closely there is a decent player in there. His awareness and flick-ons are very good and when he feels it is warranted he can sprint and close down well. He is a far better player than Sodje, who, for some reason, is worshipped by many fans.

I almost think Leon "aportions his energy according to the impoertance or odds of a positive outcome", if anyone understands what I'm getting at. he doesn't use his strenght enough and his heading is awful for a big man, then he scores a header at Blackpool.

His goals ratio (here, at Wolves and on loan) is superb.

I don't agree with "pampering" footballers who complain of not feeling wanted but in Leons case it is in OUR interests to support him and "understand " him as he clearly has the potential to score important goals that can keep us up.

I have a friend who thinks Clarke should not even be a professional. I just don't get it. Leon is one of those players who has an unfortunate demeanour that makes him look lazy or not interested. But, if you watch him closely there is a decent player in there. His awareness and flick-ons are very good and when he feels it is warranted he can sprint and close down well. He is a far better player than Sodje, who, for some reason, is worshipped by many fans.

I almost think Leon "aportions his energy according to the impoertance or odds of a positive outcome", if anyone understands what I'm getting at. he doesn't use his strenght enough and his heading is awful for a big man, then he scores a header at Blackpool.

His goals ratio (here, at Wolves and on loan) is superb.

I don't agree with "pampering" footballers who complain of not feeling wanted but in Leons case it is in OUR interests to support him and "understand " him as he clearly has the potential to score important goals that can keep us up.

well said.

He is alot better than some lobbers give him credit for......who can't forget the fact that he was fat when he signed.

Guest CampbellOwl-36

Say that to my face

I'm in the East Stand, row ZQBYX seat 728364

I''ll rumbleing shank you

Liar......

...That's my seat :ph34r:

It's also just as unfair to count goals scored as sub if you are only counting games started

True. And as far as I can see, nobody is doing that either. I'm not sure what is the common way to work out goal ratios but I'd say a fair way to work it out roughly would be to use each sub appearance as an average of 20 minutes game time(?). By that you're looking at a 1 in 3 ratio.

True. And as far as I can see, nobody is doing that either. I'm not sure what is the common way to work out goal ratios but I'd say a fair way to work it out roughly would be to use each sub appearance as an average of 20 minutes game time(?). By that you're looking at a 1 in 3 ratio.

20 minutes is generous too.

Usually 10 or 15 minutes when we are getting beat.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Say that to my face

I'm in the East Stand, row ZQBYX seat 728364

I''ll rumbleing shank you

Keyboard warrior? Your not a fan... perhaps you should go shank Leon instead?

:blink:

Clarke does look in pretty good shape compared to earlier on in his Wednesday career - he's obviously worked hard on his weight issues and credit has to go to him for that.

I am happy that at 24 years old he's now realised he needed to work hard, lose some timber, and score goals.

He has a decent goal record for Wednesday - 15 goals in 31 starts (not including his loans at Southend and Oldham whilst a Wednesday player).

Credit has to go where credit is due. I've seen players in similar positions as Clarke was in the past - overweight and the wrong attitude - and have fallen down the footballing ladder and weeing up their career without a care (hello Mr Proudlock). Clarke appears to have turned a corner, looks to have sorted out his weight and attitude to the game. Good on him I say.

However, I can't recall saying he was the new Hirsty or that I believed he was good enough for Wednesday - simply praising his change of attitude to his professional career.

So he scored a goal last night, and has had a total change of attitude? I didn't go to the game, as I'd already wasted too much money going for the weekend for the original fixture, so can't comment on his performance. I can though, comment on what Terry Curran said about him repeatedly, and he wasn't very complimentary.

I saw Clarke's last appearance, prior to last night, and most of his appearances this season, and before yesterday, his attitude stank. One swallow doesn't make a summer, and he'll revert to type, and be getting slated again in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't pay him to clean the toilets, but whenever he wears the shirt, I'll give him my 100% support, as I do for all the players. I just don't want him at my club, that's all.

The fact that a half hearted barely in condition player like Clarke is in our squad is quite depressing.

I see him stood with his hands on his hips not even thinking about closing defenders down or making runs and it actually makes me quite angry.

not all strikers are like varney and peacock. thank god.

He is good at receiving the ball under pressure and he is a natural goalscorer.

Or

Luke "I don't turn up until the last game of my loan" Varney

Missed his screamer against Boro and a good finish vs bristol then?

Or

Jermaine "I only score goals around contract renewal time" Johnson

He scored on Saturday

Or

Deon "I score goals by the barrel load when its near the end of my contract" Burton

He hardly scored any towards the end.

Lewis "I'm like Maldini while on loan but when you sign me..." Buxton

He was pap on loan and hes still pap

Guest Romish Owl

Only Tudders has better stats as a striker at the club, he's still young and more to come, but I expect he will be forced out by the boo boys, to go on and prove him self with someone else, keep going Leon and prove the lobbers wrong.

not all strikers are like varney and peacock. thank god.

He is good at receiving the ball under pressure and he is a natural goalscorer.

And if you sit in the North or South stands, between the 18 yard and half way lines, and watch him closely, you'll see how he stands in an offside position, and hasn't got a clue when to move up, which is why he is offside more often than not.

A striker has to know where and when to make his runs, and has to anticipate where the ball is going to be played to him, and when. Clarke has absolutely no awareness of what's going on around him, he never puts a decent shift in, can't head the ball etc etc. He actually mistimes every jump, and 99% of the time is coming down having jumped too early, when the ball hits him on the head.

As I said previously, I didn't go last night, so didn't see the goal, but if Clarke scored with a header, I'd say he made a big mistake and timed his jump correctly.

And if you sit in the North or South stands, between the 18 yard and half way lines, and watch him closely, you'll see how he stands in an offside position, and hasn't got a clue when to move up, which is why he is offside more often than not.

A striker has to know where and when to make his runs, and has to anticipate where the ball is going to be played to him, and when. Clarke has absolutely no awareness of what's going on around him, he never puts a decent shift in, can't head the ball etc etc. He actually mistimes every jump, and 99% of the time is coming down having jumped too early, when the ball hits him on the head.

As I said previously, I didn't go last night, so didn't see the goal, but if Clarke scored with a header, I'd say he made a big mistake and timed his jump correctly.

You love him don't ya

Guest Deleted member

It's also just as unfair to count goals scored as sub if you are only counting games started

This is fair enough

Lets have a look at goals scored in the last season and a half instead??

Clarke - 11

Sodje - 2

Jeffers - 3

Tudgay - 20

Johnson - 9

Varney - 6

Now how about everybody f***s off and leaves the kid to get on with it?

This is fair enough

Lets have a look at goals scored in the last season and a half instead??

Clarke - 11

Sodje - 2

Jeffers - 3

Tudgay - 20

Johnson - 9

Varney - 6

Now how about everybody f***s off and leaves the kid to get on with it?

This.