Leon Clarke

Guest Deleted member

Sadly I'm not a professional scout. But fortunatley Wednesday do have them.

Although I'm not privy to Leon's contract negotiations, or indeed those of lower league players, I think it's a fair assumption that Leon is on a higher weekly salary than the top paid player in the Blue Square Premier.

Just out of interest; When did Wolves sign Michael Kightly? I think it would be laughable if they actually used the money from Leon to buy someone like that.

With regards Sodje, Varney and Jeffers; when did I say they represented value for money to the club?

Its pointless arguing the throw with someone who cannot back up his 'facts' with facts.

YOU said we could get someone to do more for less money. I asked you to quantify and provide examples. You couldnt.

Guest Deleted member

^^^^^^^

THIS

can i also just say, Grandads opinion is invalid. As a blackberry user he is far too comfortable with mediocrity. :biggrin:

:laugh:

Coming from the man who regularly bemoaned the fact that he was stood next to me with his iPhone on 'NO NETWORK' while I was surfing the net on my Blackberry - BOTH on O2 - thats actually very funny

Guest davylowe

By the way leons not fat anymore for those who keep calling him.

I want him to make a good player and if he's good enough for irvine

thats good enough for me.

keep on knocking them in leon and good luck for rest of season.

That's a question I wish I knew the answer to, but only Brian Laws and the coaching staff know that one.

To be fair, and though I believe Leon's a decent player and would love to see him get an extended run in the side, he does seem to pick up a lot of niggling injuries. I think in the past year or so he would have got this run were it not for this fact.

To be fair, and though I believe Leon's a decent player and would love to see him get an extended run in the side, he does seem to pick up a lot of niggling injuries. I think in the past year or so he would have got this run were it not for this fact.

I think that's a valid point, he has had trouble with injuries (just another to add to the list!).

It is interesting though that in two seperate loan spells, over two seperate seasons, he played in and started every single game he was available for. In fact whilst at Southend he started all 15 games he was available for. That's 4 starts more than his best run in 3 years at Hillsborough.

Mackail-Smith and McLean have each started three times the number of games Leon has, but their goals scored don't show this, so if they're so amazing at this level, and he's not good enough at all for this level, why are they barely scoring more than him, with three times as many starts, in a team sat rock bottom of the league?

Mackail-Smith - Starts 24 - Goals 7 - Ratio 1:3.4

McLean - Starts 23 - Goals 6 - Ratio 1:3.8

Clarke - Starts 8 - Goals 3 - Ratio 1:2.6

These are stats for league games only.

I honestly think that due to SOME of the most recent performances given by Leon I could me a more effective striker up front for SWFC.

At times he just doesn't look like a footballer, or has a clue what he is doing.

And don't get me started on the number of times he is caught off side by not thinking about what he is doing !

However he has a resonable scoring record.

And i think we as fans have given him FAR more leeway than most other players whom ware the shirt.

just not good enough for this level imho.

This is fair enough

Lets have a look at goals scored in the last season and a half instead??

Clarke - 11

Sodje - 2

Jeffers - 3

Tudgay - 20

Johnson - 9

Varney - 6

Now how about everybody f***s off and leaves the kid to get on with it?

to be fair, I bet he has made a lot more appearances than those in bold.

Just goals alone, without the appearances to back it up, is worthless

and 11 goals in a season and half...... as our number 2 or 3 striker ? Bit poor aint it ?

Edited by Glaser

Guest Deleted member

to be fair, I bet he has made a lot more appearances than those in bold.

Just goals alone, without the appearances to back it up, is worthless

and 11 goals in a season and half...... as our number 2 or 3 striker ? Bit poor aint it ?

I didnt say it wasnt poor - I said it was a damn sight better than the others. And it is. As all the other stats prove.

Mackail-Smith and McLean have each started three times the number of games Leon has, but their goals scored don't show this, so if they're so amazing at this level, and he's not good enough at all for this level, why are they barely scoring more than him, with three times as many starts, in a team sat rock bottom of the league?

Mackail-Smith - Starts 24 - Goals 7 - Ratio 1:3.4

McLean - Starts 23 - Goals 6 - Ratio 1:3.8

Clarke - Starts 8 - Goals 3 - Ratio 1:2.6

These are stats for league games only.

Thnaks for the research, but Leon hasn't been playing in ateam bottom of the league.

Whilst you're googling stats will you look up Garry Hooper's record a Sflaphorpe, Jason Scotland's at Swansea last season and Michael kightly's at Wolves last season.

Cheers.

Its pointless arguing the throw with someone who cannot back up his 'facts' with facts.

YOU said we could get someone to do more for less money. I asked you to quantify and provide examples. You couldnt.

I'm sure we can get someone who is better for less money.But it is not my job to find them! Scouts are out every weekend looking for players and replacing Leon/Franny/Akpo should be number 1 priorty. In the time Leon has been club, numerous players have come from lower down the leagues to make an impact in the Championship, so they are obviously there.

Leon has been no more than a bit part player for the club and a record of 11 goals when he's been available for over 60 confirms that. He hasn't progressed into a first choice since hes signed, so it's right the club should be looking to cut their losses on someone who we know won't score many goals, and make every effort to sign someone who will. The same thing has to apply to all the forwards, bar Tudgay. The whole area of needs over hauling, as the early seaosn home games with lots of chances but no goals ultimaltey cost Laws his job.

I have to say, the fact we're even discussing it seems bizarre to me. Do you actually rate Leon's performances? The fact his goal record is better than Jeffers and Sodje's is irrelevent, because they never play.

Guest BaRmY OwLs

Clarke can be one of the top 5 forwards in this division, with the right coaching, management and especially hard work and concentration from Leon himself, he has all the tools to do it.

I agree he proved this at Burnley last season outstanding just needs to do it week in week out.

The most impressive thing about are mini run is.......

He must have been busy this week .He had a starring roll in SILENT WITNESS tonight.,kept his shirt on as well !!!

Leon looks as if he has lost weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!