Fans Sense of Self-Entitlement

6 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

Paying PL admission prices

naturally means some fans expect to see PL football.

Don't think this is an unreasonable point. 

It's not a case of fans not being able to voice their frustration when performances aren't up to scratch. 

I've had a season ticket this year, but I'd be very frustrated if I'd POTD for some of the games I've seen. 

Think the issue is the art of constructive criticism seems to be lost on some people. Nowadays it's all calling Carlos "sh*t" or a player who under performs a "useless tw*t". 

Edited by SiJ

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I wouldn't call it entitlement, it is frustration- that is how I feel anyway.

We have some flipping class players in this squad and we are not seeing there full potential or even half that performance wise. 

TBF, There's some in this squad we haven't even seen !

lol

Society, of which all supporters come from. There is a vast increase in this kind of 'want it now or else' attitude, to say 10 yrs ago; with a large enough % of society away from Football.

It would seem that it's well and truly infiltrated the terraces / stands... we already know that it has via social media etc.

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

improving every year..two draws and a cup defeat and everyone loses their minds

It's not just the two draws and the cup tho is it, surely you can see the trend. Carry on like we are and we will drop, it's nailed on. I really don't get why some can't see it.

Some people do see things quicker than others tho.:blush:

7 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

It's not just the two draws and the cup tho is it, surely you can see the trend. Carry on like we are and we will drop, it's nailed on. I really don't get why some can't see it.

Some people do see things quicker than others tho.:blush:

Ok if it happens I will congratulate you on your insight..but id rather keep the belief that nobody can see the future, keep faith and look forward to my trips to Hillsborough

And if it happens, you can bask in the glow of having said it on the internet, whatever that is worth.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

The raised expectations haven't helped this season at times. But by the same token we have turned up in droves as requested. 

I think fans want to see a bit more of what they saw last season. I think it is asking a bit much of fans to turn a blind eye at present because it's been rubbish with the exception of one game at newcastle when there was no expectation.

I thought we might just have a good go again today like we did at SJP but sadly not. We have got along by the skin of our teeth recently, Wolves and PNE could've easily been defeats and Rotherham nearly got a point. 

Good sides get points when not playing well and I've been saying this. But that term usually applies to a team that has the odd bad game and gets the result. Mindful of injuries, the approach to games has made them difficult to win. What has been our plan of attack? I think any football fan wants to see a few convincing efforts on goal and this has been going on since the Barnsley game now. 

31 minutes ago, robster_owl said:

Society, of which all supporters come from. There is a vast increase in this kind of 'want it now or else' attitude, to say 10 yrs ago; with a large enough % of society away from Football.

It would seem that it's well and truly infiltrated the terraces / stands... we already know that it has via social media etc.

I belive they call them 'Snowflakes' .

7 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Ok if it happens I will congratulate you on your insight..but id rather keep the belief that nobody can see the future, keep faith and look forward to my trips to Hillsborough

And if it happens, you can bask in the glow of having said it on the internet, whatever that is worth.

It does not take insight to see which way we are heading, you are right I cannot see the future but neither can you. We might improve and of course i hope we do. But all I have to go on is evidence while you are living in hope.

We are currently 9th on current form, if you take into account the lucky win against Roths and the lucky point at Preston it would be even worst.

I'm not even moaning I take nothing for granted but when people bury their head in the sand and nothing is wrong it will all turn out alright ....it rarely does. I've heard that line for 40 years.

38 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Last season was enjoyable no matter how it ended, you went to game and came home feeling entertained.

This season has the thrill factor of watching Gray's team, and for an investment of what must be 20m, I think you should expect better. I don't see why there is a problem with that 

Well the problem is that there are no guarantees in football. It ain't as simple as spend more money, play entertaining football, get promoted. 

Derby have been spending this kind of money for a few years now and got nowhere, Forest spent bigger money for a few years and failed. There are loads of other examples.

Players make mistakes, managers are only human , as we have seen in the last two seasons the quality of the opposites changes and Lady Luck looks the other way for a while. Teams now play differently against us cos they know more about us.

Of course fans want success but if you want guarantees or entertainment based on a simple financial equation this is not the game or league

5 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

We are currently 9th on current form, if you take into account the lucky win against Roths and the lucky point at Preston it would be even worst.

I'm not even moaning I take nothing for granted but when people bury their head in the sand and nothing is wrong it will all turn out alright ....it rarely does. I've heard that line for 40 years.

1. If you look outside of the box as it were, what about the games where we should have had a point or all 3 but were cheated from it by the ref or other decisions, lack of the rub of the green? The thing with stats, they will invariably always have two sides and definitely over the course of a season.

2. You are though but don't seem to see that you are, so some of us could turn it around on you and say 'Touché' about the burying one's head in the sand... again, things can always be taken / delivered with two sides but are from individuals, to others.

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

You have a vision of what is happening and so do I. We shouldn't just be sat here waiting for the inevitable to happen. Performance levels catch up with you in the end I'm afraid and there is nearly half a season to go. Something has to change. 

It's ok, we can't be proper Wednesdayites according to some. It's stands out a mile but yet....oh well.

I'm not even a Carlos out member, but he must change his game plan. He will be gone end of season if not in top 6 that is a cert, too late to change now and wouldn't achieve anything anyhow....just gotta hope for the best, next 4/5 games will give a clue

5 minutes ago, robster_owl said:

1. If you look outside of the box as it were, what about the games where we should have had a point or all 3 but were cheated from it by the ref or other decisions, lack of the rub of the green? The thing with stats, they will invariably always have two sides and definitely over the course of a season.

I agree with you entirely but the performances are key over the whole season, we are just over half-way and on course for a GD of 8, again seeing into the future is impossible but I'm arguing with relevant facts, ie current form and dropping..

The hardcore loyal 19K from the league 1 years probably have better perspective and are more grounded.

Its the new 6K regulars who have jumped on board the "PL in 3 seasons train" and bought into (at great expense) the vision of actually believing it's going to happen.

I suspect it's that group that has the "sense of entitlement".

Edited by sheffsteel

16 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I agree with you entirely but the performances are key over the whole season, we are just over half-way and on course for a GD of 8, again seeing into the future is impossible but I'm arguing with relevant facts, ie current form and dropping..

This is the thing but many won't pay it this much attention, to think as deeply and this goes for ALL football clubs, sports disciplines where there's Management and even in business in general - one can risk as much of a positive result from getting bobbar, as one can from jumping out of the frying pan, in to the fire... hence I just don't think at present, we're anywhere near needing to make such a drastic change all considered.

I think this does sum up a fair chunk of our club at present though;

8 hours ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

Bottom line is..

If you pay more, you expect more...

If you bought Heinz beans you would expect them to be better than Lidl's own label version..

Both give the same ingredients (or near enough) but they are very different, depends if you like paying more for the same old stuff..

Comparing football with consumer products is one of the most ridiculous arguments ever.