North Stand Catering - Why oh Why?

Sent to the Club this morning .... let's hope they listen and do something because there has been a number of threads on catering previously

'Regrettably, I am not a regular visitor to Hillsborough as I live in Norwich and work in London.  Visits are therefore precious and, aside from anything that happens on the pitch, I would expect the experience at Hillsborough to be enjoyable and of high quality.  Indeed something to advocate and praise, but unfortunately this is not the situation with the catering services in the North Stand. 

To provide some context, four of us came to the match, travelling from London and joining my brother who is a season ticket holder.  We enjoyed the hospitality of local bars en-route to the stadium but were keen to get to the ground, particularly as 1 of the party had not been to a major football stadium before.  My brother warned us against this, citing that the level of service had deteriorated considerably since my last visit.  Surely this could not be the case as it was never particularly good.  But unfortunately it was!

We used the refreshment kiosk closest to entrance L & M, but were met by vaguely interested staff, who appeared to lack any drive or determination to serve us quickly and efficiently, but equally seemed to lack any overall management of their service.  It was much worse at half-time when the lack of any apparent control or co-ordination of their activities brought vocal compliant from the waiting customers.  I don't want to single out the staff for blame as they are only part of the operation and I have no idea whether they are given any training or if local supervisors are present to support them.  However, the counter services were simply shocking and how this operation is delivered needs to be questioned seriously. 

Surely the Club is losing income from poorly delivered kiosk services.  This may not be material in the scheme of spend on tickets and in the Club shop, but unfortunately I fear they have also lost 2 members of our party at future games who are not sure whether the off-field experience warranted the considerable expense of a full day out coming to Hillsborough.'

Edited by Rick - Norfolk Owl

4 minutes ago, Rick - Norfolk Owl said:

Sent to the Club this morning .... let's hope they listen and do something because there has been a number of threads on catering previously

We enjoyed the hospitality of local bars en-route to the stadium

I think that might be filed in the 'pissed and impatient' bin.

I assume you weren't but you might stand a better chance of making your point if you left that bit out.

Catering facilities at a match can be difficult. Pre match steady trade to start with but getting busier as kick off approaches then very quiet until half time. Half time is manic then not much. The temptation is to cut staff because you only need to deal with 2 short periods of being really busy. You might end up paying someone 4 hours wages but only really need them half an hour before the kick off and say 25 minutes around half time. The rest of the time you can manage with less staff.

They make big margins on catering so it is important that they get it right. Hopefully the new commercial guy will look at the problem and get it sorted but don't forget the club have only just brought this stuff back in house.

21 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

I remember when It was freezing cold and they wouldn't sell Hot Drinks because the machine had broke down. 

Had to settle for a freezing bottle of Coke. 

Hot drinks , where ? 

Id be happy with a luike warm cup of tea on the North instead of the usual freezing cold dish water in a cup .

I used to buy a couple of bottles of lager for myself, and a Beres Steak and Hendersons pie for my son

The bottles were a bit pricey for what they were, but the pie was quality, and I figured I was helping the club

I haven't bought anything in the ground since those days 4 or 5 years ago

At the recent game v Bristol City, I decided to buy myself and my son a pint of the Wednesday mild

In my opinion, £7.40 for 2 pints is excessive, but I was willing to pay it because every little helps the club

The staff were lovely, but the pints were warm, which is unacceptable

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Just now, TINKERBELL said:

£3 from chuck waggon and tasty. 

Yeah exactly. I've learnt my lesson now but I'd always rather put my money into the club.

It amazes me how the Catering and the Club Shop can be so lacklustre given our matchday attendances and fanbase in general. Hopefully they start making changes now with the Catering coming in-house and Palmer on board. 

Just now, TINKERBELL said:

£3 from chuck waggon and tasty. 

Yeah exactly. I've learnt my lesson now but I'd always rather put my money into the club.

It amazes me how the Catering and the Club Shop can be so lacklustre given our matchday attendances and fanbase in general. Hopefully they start making changes now with the Catering coming in-house and Palmer on board. 

2 hours ago, prowl said:

I assume you weren't but you might stand a better chance of making your point if you left that bit out.

Catering facilities at a match can be difficult. Pre match steady trade to start with but getting busier as kick off approaches then very quiet until half time. Half time is manic then not much. The temptation is to cut staff because you only need to deal with 2 short periods of being really busy. You might end up paying someone 4 hours wages but only really need them half an hour before the kick off and say 25 minutes around half time. The rest of the time you can manage with less staff.

They make big margins on catering so it is important that they get it right. Hopefully the new commercial guy will look at the problem and get it sorted but don't forget the club have only just brought this stuff back in house.

That's completely true though labour can be factored in from other parts of the stadium and a 45 minute prep time to stock back up is not along time at all given that kiosks tend to still trade a good 5 minutes after kiosk and start picking up 10 minutes before the end of the first half.

the club has the worst catering operation I have ever seen and I've had experience running such catering operations. The OP is current in that I sit on the north and see no supervision and they are far from prepared to serve the half time rush too. Facilities and equipment can play a part however poor management in organising and training of  staff plays a much greater part.

They have brought the catering back in house recently and retained the existing mangement as I am led to believe. If they are not strong enough to challenge or change or a few basics to instantly improve the basic service levels then that's the club first mistake. Maybe they have just been caught in the basic sale however. They can bring in a senior manager as I'm sure they have reviewed the operation before making the call to bring the catering back In house.

put simply I would have expected instant changes on the north kiosks just through staffing and how they go about serving. This has not happened which I fear it catering operation will always fail by the team who manage it not the company who own it

2 hours ago, prowl said:

That's completely true though labour can be factored in from other parts of the stadium and a 45 minute prep time to stock back up is not along time at all given that kiosks tend to still trade a good 5 minutes after kiosk and start picking up 10 minutes before the end of the first half.

the club has the worst catering operation I have ever seen and I've had experience running such catering operations. The OP is current in that I sit on the north and see no supervision and they are far from prepared to serve the half time rush too. Facilities and equipment can play a part however poor management in organising and training of  staff plays a much greater part.

They have brought the catering back in house recently and retained the existing mangement as I am led to believe. If they are not strong enough to challenge or change or a few basics to instantly improve the basic service levels then that's the club first mistake. Maybe they have just been caught in the basic sale however. They can bring in a senior manager as I'm sure they have reviewed the operation before making the call to bring the catering back In house.

put simply I would have expected instant changes on the north kiosks just through staffing and how they go about serving. This has not happened which I fear it catering operation will always fail by the team who manage it not the company who own it

1 hour ago, TINKERBELL said:

Never bought inside the ground for years and don't intend to either as it's overpriced and poor.i either go to the Chinese 100yds away or the chuck waggon across Rd. 

^ this.

I can get a tray of chips with curry sauce for £2.70 at the Chinese on Penistone. And they're delicious. 

Why would I spend more money inside the ground for a poorer quality product? Not to mention that you're lucky to get a sachet of tomato sauce inside the ground...let alone curry sauce. Not enough choice inside & it's all crap.

Unless you're in early it takes too long to buy anything too, whether that be prematch or half-time. The staff then grunt at you, mess you around with the wrong change & there's just little in terms of organisation.

I've just finished a summer working for Disney World in Orlando, & I worked on the most popular show they have which houses 7k people & is full to capacity every night. Whilst I didn't work on them, we had two food concession stalls to cater to these 7k people...selling everything from popcorn & churros to a variety of beers. Like at Hillsborough, we open the gates to said show an hour and a half before it starts & most people want fed and watering. Take into account that this is an outdoor arena exposed to the elements, it's usually boiling hot & the staff, like myself & those working at Hillsborough, are mostly just at uni/college earning minimum wage & just there as a stopgap to fund themselves through their studies. The only difference between the two that can't be helped, & is probably where issues lie, is that this show is on every night which makes it easier to train all staff to a consistent standard, keep them motivated & build a workforce that are passionate about their job.

One potential idea? Could Sheffield council get together all a pool of staff for all the big Sheffield sports teams, both football sides...the steelers etc Basically any Sheffield events that are on where catering is required? Giving staff more regular work, more money...make it worth their while.

I can't imagine I'd be that passionate or enthusiastic about working at Hillsborough two or three times a month & get shouted at by drunks cos I've not been trained properly. 

DC has taken it's gonna take a while for in house catering to be implemented properly so that's one matter that's hopefully being solved, the product & pricing. That said, I don't mind paying a bit more in house if the product is worth it.

But the staffing is a big issue. 

Edited by FlyingOwl