Owl on its own.

the y represents the word Yankees as well. Probably the most recognizable sports logo in the world that doesn't spell out the name of the team??

i agree with its far reaching nature, a recognizable brand all around the world.

its (as you say) the Initials of the team, which, while not spelling it out, certainly gives a BIG clue...... in comparison to the owl standing alone anyway.... not that im making comparisons between the two in size!!

I think this is a generational thing. Whatever you first experienced as a kid is probably what you prefer. As a child of the 90s, I always drew the Owl on my school books without the crest but with the initials underneath in an oblong, because that's how it was in those early days. My daughter on the other hand automatically draws the crest as part of her drawings and doesn't like my retro shirts with just the owl on.

I only buy clothing merchandise from the superstore if it has the owl with no shield. Much classier. There are not many clubs who would be instantly recognisable from their emblem alone. Possibly Arsenal, Forest, Spurs, Liverpool, Swansea, Derby and Norwich. Of those only Spurs and Derby have their emblems on the shirt and nothing else.1415_Home_Shirt_LS_76107U_A.jpg594853533134_1.jpg

never mind scoreboards, million pound signings, new pitches, catering. Somebody at the club needs to insist to the shirt manufacturing company that the sheild needs to be scrapped and the owl to stand on its own on all sheffield Wednesday clothing next year.

Make it happen Wednesday.

This gets my vote...Please gi'owl back...SHIELD OUT!

I only buy clothing merchandise from the superstore if it has the owl with no shield. Much classier. There are not many clubs who would be instantly recognisable from their emblem alone. Possibly Arsenal, Forest, Spurs, Liverpool, Swansea, Derby and Norwich. Of those only Spurs and Derby have their emblems on the shirt and nothing else.1415_Home_Shirt_LS_76107U_A.jpg594853533134_1.jpg

Liverpool got rid of their shield too?