Madine Vs The Boy Wonder...

Guest BigDave

I feel sorry for Madine reading this thread. He's been stitched up a bit by the OP. I think anyone who says Madine is or will be anywhere near Hirst didn't see him play

Couldn't agree more, at times you'd struggle to compare Rooney to Hirsty

One of the things that made me start this thread is the amount of goals Hirsty scored which, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't really amount to much until we dropped down into the old div 2. Then he was awesome in that sense. Are goals how we should judge our strikers? Does Hirsty's all-round ability supersede his goals tally? How many will Madine has to score, over what period, until we genuinely start talking about his in the same esteem we do the Boy Wonder?

If Hirst had had the protection from referees that centre forwards get, he'd have been almost unstoppable. Without the injuries from being kicked out of games, he'd have been up there with the goals tally as well.

One of the things that made me start this thread is the amount of goals Hirsty scored which, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't really amount to much until we dropped down into the old div 2. Then he was awesome in that sense. Are goals how we should judge our strikers? Does Hirsty's all-round ability supersede his goals tally? How many will Madine has to score, over what period, until we genuinely start talking about his in the same esteem we do the Boy Wonder?

A fit Hirst was truly unplayable.

I remember ex-City defender Michel Vonk saying he hated playing against him. He could kill the ball dead, twist and turn like an eel to get free of three defenders and then hit the ball with laser like accuracy with either foot at warp speed.

I'll take the memory of watching that goal V Villa from the back of the kop to the grave. It was quite simply one of the most fantastic moments I've experienced inside Hillsborough.

He scored for England, he destroyed Man Utd (several times) he scored in an FA Cup final, he scored 30+ goals In a season, he was front cOver of FHM and had his own TV advert! He was the most exciting striker in the country.

Less guile than Rooney but more pace and better in the air.

Look at today's top English strikers bar Rooney....Bent, Defoe, Crouch, Wellbeck? Not one of them comes anywhere near Hirsty. Infact bar Rooney I'm not sure who has in the last decade.

Believe me (ala brian the blade) Howard Wilkinson who although bought Hirsty, hindered his natural progress in not playing him enough in a stop start fashion and prefering Colin West ahead of him (even though virtually every Wednesdayite could see that this boy could be special) something he also did with Mark Chamberlain and Siggi Jonsson.

Hirsty,s confidence had been shot to bits by his treatment by Wilko and Eustace and it wasnt until Big Ron came in and believed in what he could do and backed him that Hirst began to blossom into the finest center forward ever to play for Wednesday in all my 32 years of following them.

As much as i like Madine and feel he will develop (if he shows the right attitude) into a good center forward but he simply doesnt have the raw tools at his possesion as Hirst in raw genuine pace, a thunderbolt of a left foot, a better right foot than most, a monster leap & brilliant headering technique, as brave as they come, add to that an ability to drink like a fish and shag owt that moves.

David Eric Hirst a true legend of the likes i doubt i will ever see again at Hillsborough.

Edited by full fathom five

Believe me (ala brian the blade) Howard Wilkinson who although bought Hirsty, hindered his natural progress in not playing him enough in a stop start fashion and prefering Colin West ahead of him (even though virtually every Wednesdayite could see that this boy could be special) something he also did with Mark Chamberlain and Siggi Jonsson.

Hirsty,s confidence had been shot to bits by his treatment by Wilko and Eustace and it wasnt until Big Ron came in and believed in what he could do and backed him that Hirst began to blossom into the finest center forward ever to play for Wednesday in all my 32 years of following them.

As much as i like Madine and feel he will develop (if he shows the right attitude) into a good center forward but he simply doesnt have the raw tools at his possesion as Hirst in raw genuine pace, a thunderbolt of a left foot, a better right foot than most, a monster leap & brilliant headering technique, as brave as they come, add to that an ability to drink like a fish and shag owt that moves.

David Eric Hirst a true legend of the likes i doubt i will ever see again at Hillsborough.

I agree with every bit of this. I believe he still holds the record for the fastest shot too

I once read a quote, and I can't remember who said it, it may have been Ferguson but I can't be sure. The quote was, "the question is no longer who will be England's next centre forward, the question is now, who will partner David Hirst.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I agree with every bit of this. I believe he still holds the record for the fastest shot too

And i believe the crossbar at Highbury is still reverberating! (in footie heaven)

Mark Hughes was one of the best strikers in the league and if I remember Man U were willing to swap him and a couple of million for Hirst. I think that says it all really. I hope Madine fullfills his potential at Hillsborough, but I don't think he'll reach Hirst's level

I seem to remember Fergie offered 4million for Hirsty,RA said no!

Fergie then offered 5million,RA said no!

They then offered 5million plus Steve Bruce,RA said no.

It wasn't too long after that Hirsty started having the first of his recurrent ankle and injury problems.

Thanks in no small part to Steve faackin Bould!!

And i believe the crossbar at Highbury is still reverberating! (in footie heaven)

It wasn't too long after that Hirsty started having the first of his recurrent ankle and injury problems.

I must have dreamt the Mark Hughes link lol

It is said of some great players in history that they could grace any era, past or present

In my experience, Hirsty of the 90-93 period fits that bill. He had the lot, pace to burn, good with both feet, in the air and capable of the most powerful shot known to man

If Madine gets anywhere close, he will be a truly great striker

Ok before you all start coughing and choking I realise at first glance this might look stupid BUT Gary Madine will never be a David Hirst type player as he does not have the turn of speed Hirsty had, but if he is willing to learn his trade and as he said of Sir Tom Knickerbockerglory yesterday learns to play off the shoulder more and be a bit cuter position wise I think he will turn out to be more of an Ian Rush / John Aldridge type striker who can go on to the top level, hopefully with Sheffield Wednesday

I once read a quote, and I can't remember who said it, it may have been Ferguson but I can't be sure. The quote was, "the question is no longer who will be England's next centre forward, the question is now, who will partner David Hirst.

Sir Bobby Robson.

Francis was manager when Fergie made the offers.