Madine Vs The Boy Wonder...

My favourite Hirst memory is the one he bagged against Man Utd in 87 right at the end of the game to give us a 1-0 win. Came about 30 seconds before the final whistle and was an absolute bolt from the blue. It was that moment that made me realise he was special. Certainly hope that Madine can get to a point where he can genuinely be discussed in similar fashion he is young and has time to improve. More importantly he seem eager to learn.

Most things have already been said about Hirsty in this thread but i would add that getting the chance to see Hirsty play at the peak of his powers was a privelidge us wednesday fans are unlikely to see again from another player.

Players of his calibre only play for top 4 clubs these days.

He would be on 200k per week and be up there with Rooney if he were playing now.

There is no comparison with Madine , but that said- madine could end up being the best striker we have had since those days. he has a bright future ahead of him.

Guest totemowl

They both have class and capability. I reckon they both have that same attitude that help to make a great striker. At 20 I'd rate Hirst as being better. He was playing at a higher level but not scoring many.

If Madine applies himself well, he could reach the same levels. But right now, in terms of what they've achieved in their careers, Hirst is miles ahead. The first big test will be how Madine does for us in the Championship, over the next couple of years.

If he gets and takes the breaks he could surpass Hirst's achievements, which were stunted as he approached his peak by a malicious tackle.

Hirst made his greatest impact between the age of 22 and 27.

I must have dreamt the Mark Hughes link lol

Not necessarily dear fellow!

I have been known to be wrong too lol

Francis was manager when Fergie made the offers.

Ahem!

Can't we just gloss over this and hope nobody notices?

I meant RA advised TF from over at Villa....obviously :st2:

I think Fergie once said...He hated playing Wednesday ..because Hirsty only had to sneeze and Wednesday were 1 up......THe game where he scored at Hillsborough in the last minute hardly does testament to him...cos he'd run them ragged for 90 minutes...not only up front...but he pressured them at the back and they were simply lumping it anywhere

then...last minute ...he got it on the edge of the area...left hand side...if i remember correctly....and hit it....I have honestly never seen a ball travel as fast...I only fookin' danced up and down cos every other fvcker was...it hit the back of the net like an exocet....I saw nowt...

Guest SnookerOwl

And i believe the crossbar at Highbury is still reverberating! (in footie heaven)

I seem to remember Fergie offered 4million for Hirsty,RA said no!

Fergie then offered 5million,RA said no!

They then offered 5million plus Steve Bruce,RA said no.

It wasn't too long after that Hirsty started having the first of his recurrent ankle and injury problems.

Thanks in no small part to Steve faackin Bould!!

Francis was manager, not Big Ron.

The eventual final offer was £4m plus Mark Hughes & Brian McClair.

This is how much Fergie rated Hirst.

Read his autobiography. He states he wanted Shearer first but then started fancying Hirst even more than Shearer.

Guest Fedor

The top two defensive partnerships at the time Bruce and Pallister and Adams and Bould just simply couldn't live with him.

My favourie memory was when Bruce went through him. Hirsty go up took a quick free kick with someone then ran at a terrified Bruce , nutmegged him then shot at goal as if to say dont flip with me or I will make you look silly

Lad bangs in two goals at the weekend and then some numpty starts a thread like this.

Like there is anyway you could compare Madine with Hirsty at the moment.

The purpose of the OP isn't to say Madine is, or even could be, as 'good' as Hirst. The purpose was to talk about it, and perhaps to stimulate a debate as to whether goals alone could make a player a 'legend', of do you need the x factor, as Hirsty seemed to have. Have I misunderstood the nature of a football fans forum to such a degree?

I do remember Hirsty, as I say he remains, for my money, the best player I've seen play for us.

The purpose of the OP isn't to say Madine is, or even could be, as 'good' as Hirst. The purpose was to talk about it, and perhaps to stimulate a debate as to whether goals alone could make a player a 'legend', of do you need the x factor, as Hirsty seemed to have. Have I misunderstood the nature of a football fans forum to such a degree?

I do remember Hirsty, as I say he remains, for my money, the best player I've seen play for us.

If nothing else, it's stirred up some great Hirst memories :)

Guest Distraught!

Straightforward, this one!

When Hirsty was in his pomp, any neutral with even a modicum of football knowledge would have put Hirsty up there with the likes of Shearer in his pomp. Hirsty could have been better without the injuries. Many would argue that, had we hung onto Cantona and managed to get sufficient games out of Hirsty alongside him, we could well have won the Premier League.

On the other hand, if you take off your blue and white specs, Madine is no better than the third best striker in the third tier of English football.

He has a long, long way to go before he reaches the same echelons that Hirsty achieved!

I'm too young to remember Hirsty when he first signed for Wednesday, but I do remember his peak (which I reckon is 1990 - 1993). I am surprised every time I remember Hirsty scored less than 120 goals in nearly ten years at Hillsborough, yet he is a legend, and my favourite striker ever to pull on the shirt.

My question is this. How does Madine measure up, both in terms of his current S6 career and also what he could achieve here?

He does n't NEXT QUESTION

Hirsty really came into his own when we dropped to the old Division 2 and under Big Ron he really developed into a fantastic player, scoring some great goals. This really boosted his confidence which he took into Division 1 and made him into the Wednesday legend that he is. It was such a shame that he never really recovered from that crunching tackle by Bould and his career started to decline.

Some of the best footage I've ever seen of him is in the Rumbellows Cup video (Path to Glory?) where everything is in slow motion and you can just see the pace and power he had (gonna have to dig the video out and transfer it to dvd). Absolutely fantastic.

BTW there's a thread over on bluntsmad compairing Hirst to Ched. Aparently Ched has as much pace and power as what Hirst had :tango: :tango: :tango: :tango: :tango: :tango: :tango:

Edited by gableratchet

As much as I love Madine, let's be reyt we are talking about David Hirst here, a total god like legend to us, Madine has a long long way to go before we can talk about them in the same sentence but He is the best foward we rhave had for years and he has the potential to be a legend here too.

I fhucking love David Hirst and Im still hoping to bump into that cooont steve bould in a dark alley one day