Aynsley Pears tho

Driving past the players car park on Sunday... saw him getting into his car gave him a beep and a thumbs up ... he stuck his fingers up at me ...lol...drove past that and saw bambo diaby on the main road talking to some fans ... brilliantly weird lol

• Like 1

Driving past the players car park on Sunday... saw him getting into his car gave him a beep and a thumbs up ... he stuck his fingers up at me ...lol...drove past that and saw bambo diaby on the main road talking to some fans ... brilliantly weird lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

If he'd have picked the ball up the ref would have waved play on. There would have been uproar from our end, possibly a riot. Then we'd have all left the ground at the end to discover that he could have picked it up and the ref was right. He didn't know the rules, and I'm pretty sure most of us didn't either, myself included. 

Could he have picked it up? It was a deliberate pass back to the keeper and I am not sure he could have picked it up. Otherwise every other keeper would kick the ball 5cm after a pass back and then pick it up. He could have saved it using his hands as long as he didn't catch it. Or am I missing something. Would still love to know what the ref said to him.

I thought when I saw it that he hadn't dived on it as denial of a goal would have been a penalty and a sending off.

If, as people, who presumably know the rules, have pointed out it would have been an indirect free kick then it seems strange he hasn't risked it.

Referee was chatting to him immediately after, presumably to tell him his interpretation of the incident.

Proper funny, mind.

Read the rules on the other post (probably should have done that first).

It appears that the attempted clearance would have removed ALL restrictions and so could have caught the ball completely and then just kicked it out of his hands like any other goalkeeper with play on and no free kick or card involved.

10 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

Read the rules on the other post (probably should have done that first).

It appears that the attempted clearance would have removed ALL restrictions and so could have caught the ball completely and then just kicked it out of his hands like any other goalkeeper with play on and no free kick or card involved.

Really?

Seems a vert strange rule to me. I thought the ball had to touch another player before he can pick it up. (I haven't read the rules in the other thread).

He also looks like he's very uncomfortable with his left foot, as he could easily have cleared that ball into touch with it. But looks like he tries to get his right foot in a position to clear it. 

As per FA rules as below

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

touches the ball with the hand/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player

touches the ball with the hand/arm, <b> unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play </b> after:

it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate

receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

I think we can all agree he tried to kick the ball to release into play. So no free kick if he simply picked it out of the air.

37 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

Could he have picked it up? It was a deliberate pass back to the keeper and I am not sure he could have picked it up. Otherwise every other keeper would kick the ball 5cm after a pass back and then pick it up. He could have saved it using his hands as long as he didn't catch it. Or am I missing something. Would still love to know what the ref said to him.

Yeah, as others have said because he attempted to clear it and messed up he could have just picked it up. We'd have gone ballistic but fortunately his knowledge of the rules is similar to the average fan it seems. 

I guess a keeper could pretend to clear it and mess up on purpose but that has a high chance of going wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, latemodelchild said:

Yeah, as others have said because he attempted to clear it and messed up he could have just picked it up. We'd have gone ballistic but fortunately his knowledge of the rules is similar to the average fan it seems. 

I guess a keeper could pretend to clear it and mess up on purpose but that has a high chance of going wrong. 

Yes I corrected myself further up this thread, the attempted clearance resets the back pass rule.. I am amazed that a goalkeeper doesn't know the rules, especially in the area where he plays. The referee talking to him makes sense now, he clearly says "if that happens" to let him know he could have just picked the ball up.

8 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

Yes I corrected myself further up this thread, the attempted clearance resets the back pass rule.. I am amazed that a goalkeeper doesn't know the rules, especially in the area where he plays. The referee talking to him makes sense now, he clearly says "if that happens" to let him know he could have just picked the ball up.

Even if he didn't realise that, it would have made more sense to just catch it and concede an indirect free kick. 

Maybe even just make an attempt to clear it rather than shepherd it into his own goal 😂

Hopefully the WBA and Sunderland keepers are just as slack

6 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

2 things.

This is another law that is open to abuse by cheats.  It's a gamble but a gk could pretend to clear it then pick it up. Laws shoiuld be absolutley clear.

It's not the refs job to tell him the rules. His job is to APPLY the rules.   Not to sympathise and advise him how to avoid the same situation again. It's the players job to know the rules.   

Just now, Ponte_Owl85 said:

Even if he didn't realise that, it would have made more sense to just catch it and concede an indirect free kick. 

Maybe even just make an attempt to clear it rather than shepherd it into his own goal 😂

Hopefully the WBA and Sunderland keepers are just as slack

Looking at it a few times. If the ball carries on at the speed it was going before it bounces, I guess he figured out he had time to control the ball before it crosses the line. What does it, is the spin of the ball ensures it just flies into the net, it just takes it completely out of his control. 

3 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

2 things.

This is another law that is open to abuse by cheats.  It's a gamble but a gk could pretend to clear it then pick it up. Laws shoiuld be absolutley clear.

It's not the refs job to tell him the rules. His job is to APPLY the rules.   Not to sympathise and advise him how to avoid the same situation again. It's the players job to know the rules.   

If a Goalkeeper wants to fake kicking the ball into play every time they are played the ball back to them and risk doing what Pears did on Saturday, then that is on them. And I doubt they would make it as a professional footballer if that is their strategy. And again it is only a genuine attempt to play the ball back into play. Kicking it 2cm just would not fool a referee.

I think it is the ref's job in this situation to say to the keeper that it is a genuine goal, he had made the mistake and the goal should stand, and by the way, you could have picked it up. I see nothing wrong with explaining the rules, they must do it multiple times every game to captains.

On 21/04/2024 at 14:56, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I can't believe some on here are taking the p*ss out of him.

He's our 8th top scorer, for Christ sake!

:ph34r:

Ffs...... That just made me gob me scotch back into me glass....... ffs!! 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

2 things.

That scenario will never happen