Testmonials

Sorry if this has been done before but do we still help out  long serving loyal players with a Testimonial  match

in fact,When was the last one you attended

if there was to be such an event for player x at Hillsborough now,

who would you like to  seeplay in a Sheffield  Wednesday Old Boys team?

53 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Last one I went to was David Hirst’s, that must be over 20 years ago now.

Yep. Quite a few of the players down to play that day pulled out, disappointingly.

My opinion of Ian Wright went up hugely though, he went out of his way to entertain the crowd 

7 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Yep. Quite a few of the players down to play that day pulled out, disappointingly.

My opinion of Ian Wright went up hugely though, he went out of his way to entertain the crowd 

Yes I remember the back of the programme saying Kenny Dalgleish and several other world class players were playing only to be told over the tanoy that the side would be different.

Still John Barnes, Alan Shearer and Ian Wright all played. Also have to agree with you on Ian Wright, he was brilliant that day.

6 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Yes I remember the back of the programme saying Kenny Dalgleish and several other world class players were playing only to be told over the tanoy that the side would be different.

Still John Barnes, Alan Shearer and Ian Wright all played. Also have to agree with you on Ian Wright, he was brilliant that day.

Yeah, I can't remember many names, I have the programme somewhere, but definitely Dalglish and Beardsley were on the list but pulled out.

Wright was funny, did everything but score with Turner playing a blinder, he went off after being foiled again after Waddle split the (his own!) defence with a perfect through ball. 

• Like 1

I think players in the last 20 years don't really need the money in the same way as before, when it was nice pension  top up before they went to run a pub. 

Last ones I heard of, the takings went to a players favourite charity.

Not sure there is much appetite for them these days. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I’m trying to think ofnall

the testimonial games Ive been to.

Tony Kenworthy

Lawrie Madden

David Hirst

Im sure there must be others.

I went to Madden and Hirst's. And not a testimonial but I went to some benefit game for Derek Dooley at the Lane in the early 90s (first time I saw us win there, 1-0 Hirst).

Only others I can remember were Worthington who was hard done by with an unattractive home game v Derby who were a division below us, and Sterland's which was stupidly held at Elland Road as he was a Leeds player by then. 

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

I went to Madden and Hirst's. And not a testimonial but I went to some benefit game for Derek Dooley at the Lane in the early 90s (first time I saw us win there, 1-0 Hirst).

Only others I can remember were Worthington who was hard done by with an unattractive home game v Derby who were a division below us, and Sterland's which was stupidly held at Elland Road as he was a Leeds player by then. 

I went to a friendly game against Derby. It was before the start of the 93/94 season. I wasn’t aware that was Worthington’s testimonial.

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

CIMG5745-1.jpg

I would have bought that. I seem to recall Warhurst scored. He scored loads that pre season. Him and Hirst were paired together up front and I don’t think we scored in our first 4 games and Warhurst was sold to Blackburn.

I've only been to one testimonial: Bob Bolder's at the Valley. Finished 3-3. Trevor Francis came on and scored what I thought was one of the most incredible screamers I've ever seen in my life. Recently I happened to find the footage on YouTube and it was nothing like how I remembered it.

Went to Paul Hursts testimonial at Milmoor 

Can’t remember anything about it at all, can’t even for the life of me remember why I decided to go, other than he was a Wednesdayite. 

Edited by Miffed

On 29/03/2024 at 16:11, Bannofan said:

I think players in the last 20 years don't really need the money in the same way as before, when it was nice pension  top up before they went to run a pub. 

Last ones I heard of, the takings went to a players favourite charity.

Not sure there is much appetite for them these days. 

I think there's an appetite for them, but just more as a send off for a loyal player. And I don't think we have as many 10-year players any more.

• Like 1