What happens at well run clubs - Ipswich

13 hours ago, Sykes said:

Meanwhile, Reading have a number of interested parties. The sale figure is understood to be around £1 million.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68626876

I wonder which situation resembles our current trajectory under Chansiri.

We're in a strange period really, massive fan unrest but DC somehow struck gold with a manager that has reduced the protest/unrest to absolute minimal while many fans even forget the current/future inevitable demise for as long as Danny Röhl can put up with DC. If DC doesn't have a visible plan to go forward and DR walks, the end of DC will be accelerated!!

27 minutes ago, JLB99 said:

The big difference is the previous owner writing off a massive dept which made them an appealing proposition for potential incoming owners. 

Having been more than £100m in the red, Ipswich Town is now virtually debt free according to O'Leary, with Gamechanger 20 Ltd having paid off £21m and Evans having waived around £80m of what was owed to him. (APRIL 2021)

Sadly that probably wont happen for us so the long dark tunnel continues...

That did happen to us though, didn’t it?..Chansiri had the chance when we were debt free. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, BIG D said:

So in a couple of years they could be in for a points deduction and we could be saying what a mess they’ve made of it? It’s all a very fine line isn’t it although I accept they have a far bigger chance of making it happen than our current set up. 

If they have a plan to improve all the youth set up, training facilities, stadium, etc; the investment is tangible and it could give them a return. It in place for the future. 

Whereas spunking loads of cash on Jordan Rhodes and various other that didn’t get a game / make an impact is suicide. 

And people still have faith 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

Doesn’t the post from KM show that Ipswich lost a load of money last year and how will that impact them if they don’t go up in the next couple of years? I have no idea on reading accounts 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, that's my reading. It seems most 'big' championship clubs are simply gambling to get to PL at a risk. Leicester and the pigs accounts showed this recently. I suppose this is the modern game, and Ipswich's valuation is based on future income, rather than current loses. 

What these loss making clubs do however, is invest off the pitch and get their club infrastructure and facilities into the modern world. DC has totally ignored this side of the business and it's unsustainable. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Big Jack said:

It just shows that long term is not sustainable but then thats the case for majority of clubs.

Everything is a gamble on being successful.

It is a gamble but I'd rather gamble by putting money into the training facility and scouting to make the club sustainable long term rather than buying players and paying them large wages.  By investing in the fabric of the club you can develop players and either sell them for profit or build a team trom them. It's not easy and it takes time which means re-educating the fans.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

So in a couple of years they could be in for a points deduction and we could be saying what a mess they’ve made of it? It’s all a very fine line isn’t it although I accept they have a far bigger chance of making it happen than our current set up. 

They're definitely gambling on promotion, otherwise they'll be in trouble with FFP in a season or two. That's under the current set up with the EFL, who knows how the rules will change under the new regulations. 

Whilst on the one hand I envy their current situation there may be trouble ahead.

As for us, as long as DC is in charge we're screwed.

2 hours ago, prowl said:

It is a gamble but I'd rather gamble by putting money into the training facility and scouting to make the club sustainable long term rather than buying players and paying them large wages.  By investing in the fabric of the club you can develop players and either sell them for profit or build a team trom them. It's not easy and it takes time which means re-educating the fans.

It also means you're not falling foul of FFP because you're investing in infrastructure which is exempt.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

looking at those accounts either ipswich need to go up this season or sell an asset . i think either of these wing backs would get 10 million plus though. 

if we go down im expecting our wage bill to be reduced to half what it was in 2022/23.  next 8 games decide if we are going to be in league1/2 for next few years , cause while chansiri is here i think he wont fund nothing going forward.  

11 hours ago, prowl said:

Absolutely then at least you have something to show for your money and it should be a given. It's bleeding obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A brief look at those accounts suggests Ipswich are doing what chansiri tried with us going for it by overspending it will set them back years regardless of how much money they have if they fail to get promoted 

the positive for them is their all round investment including training facilities 

With us after being burnt we’ve had to operate more sustainable in one sense that’s evident however it’s still poor in execution not loaning unregistered players out

not selling anyone 

having expensive loans unregistered 

still no clear evidence on transfer policy 

we have peanuts to work with but squander what we have. 

I naively pray we sustain DR for the summer and he and the recruitment team start building a squad that can not only compete but generate us future sales revenue 

the only thing stopping this is the ever consistent clown at the top insisting to be involved with his advisors 

• Like 1

As stated by Utah, the spending on infrastructure (training, pitch, scouting networks, analysis software, youth facilities, gyms, etc) does not  count against st FFP; so all the comments about doing a Chansiri isn’t strictly correct. 

They do t seem to be overspending  on transfers considering their revenue is up by 51%. 

On 23/03/2024 at 08:25, BIG D said:

No, because their ownership will have the good sense to trade players at a massive profit…. Broadhead, Burns, Davis, Chaplin etc.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 01:03, BIG D said:

If they continue like they are they'll lose 55million over 3 years and the limit is 39million, as their income is exactly the same as the wage bill they've got to make more than 16 million in profit on transfers in the next two years, just to stay inside the rules?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

If they continue like they are they'll lose 55million over 3 years and the limit is 39million, as their income is exactly the same as the wage bill they've got to make more than 16 million in profit on transfers in the next two years, just to stay inside the rules?

It depends on how much is infrastructure investment and how much is transfers and wages. As others have said genuine investment is not part of the FFP calculation 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He added: “Dejphon and the team at Wednesday have an in-depth knowledge and vast experience of running football clubs and we love the direction the club is moving in, while being excited for the future."

Said no one ever 😩

Spoke with a couple of Ipswich supporting mates who reckon Leif Davies is off to Newcastle next season and they expect £10m plus add ons for him. 

They have got some saleable assets which could offset the losses but like most teams they are gambling on getting promoted 

This Ashton guy..they seem lucky to have him; seems to have a brain..

Ashton, the current CEO of the Tractor Boys, appeared to echo that statement, insisting that the investment helps to secure the long-term future of the club while adding that in the short-term, the increased funds will be used to develop facilities such as the training ground.

The next big project for us is the training ground,” said Ashton.

“We’ve invoked architects to work with us on the designs. We need a total rebuild of the training ground for the first team and we need a more professional environment that Kieran (McKenna) can work in, develop players, enhance players and recruit players to.

We’ve got the pitches now, but we need a multi-million pound spend on the facilities at the training ground to bring us up to speed."

McKenna, who has worked at elite training ground set-ups with Manchester United and Tottenham, said: "I’ll have input into what I think would be essential and for what I would like, but it’s more about the future of the football club and the legacy we want to leave behind maybe many years down the line when I’m not here.

Also.. 

Ipswich Town CEO Mark Ashton has announced plans to expand Portman Road stadium in the near future, as the club continues to grow. 

The club recognizes the need to work with local authorities and partners to overcome hurdles and ensure expansion is possible.

• Like 2

I try to not get too caught up in who is a well run club. 

It's frustrating, but we all know how quickly things can unravel. Imagine Ipswich probably need to get themselves up within the next season or two before the whole FFP thing (or whatever new rules they have implemented by then) kicks in. 

What I can say with absolute certainty is our owner is absolute crap and we've completely unravelled to the point they'd need an air accident investigator to put it back together again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SiJ said:

I try to not get too caught up in who is a well run club. 

It's frustrating, but we all know how quickly things can unravel. Imagine Ipswich probably need to get themselves up within the next season or two before the whole FFP thing (or whatever new rules they have implemented by then) kicks in. 

What I can say with absolute certainty is our owner is absolute crap and we've completely unravelled to the point they'd need an air accident investigator to put it back together again. 

Of course, it’s probably good to highlight what other clubs are doing, in terms of infrastructure investment, for the people who spit in the faces (allegedly) on those handing out Chansiri out leaflets.