Remember this side?

8 hours ago, York_Owl said:

This was about the time you could start to see the lack of investment in the team. Not sure why we got rid of Shirtliff and Shelton but we should have been signing the likes of Mark Wright and Ian Snodin to replace them rather than Larry May and Gary Owen. 

Very much so mate ,old bert tightened the purse strings and it started to unravel all the good he'd done previously 

• Like 1

This was the team when I first started to go regularly to home games.

Think it was also when things stated to go a bit stale after the momentum of the early to mid 80s under Charlton and Wilkinson.

8 hours ago, Basement Jack said:

That kit always reminds me of a period of decline

I don't disagree with you but seems funny to be talking about decline when we finished 11th in the Top Division with what has gone off in last 20 years.

English football in general was in a bit of a slump, clubs like Wednesday and Villa would only get 15,000 for Saturday home games at this time.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think it was also when things stated to go a bit stale after the momentum of the early to mid 80s under Charlton and Wilkinson.

I don't disagree with you but seems funny to be talking about decline when we finished 11th in the Top Division with what has gone off in last 20 years.

English football in general was in a bit of a slump, clubs like Wednesday and Villa would only get 15,000 for Saturday home games at this time.

Yep  how we'd love that now but we  lost 8000 fans in 3 years and started making annual losses so easy to see why the quality of signings dipped .

11 hours ago, onslow said:

That's right, I think the youngsters didn't get a look in once we started to struggle that season, and the reinforcements (so called!) like Proctor were signed and blocked their progress in the days of 13 man squads

One of the first things Wilkinson did was to scrap the Junior/Youth set up at Hillsboro.

The first thing he did at Ellend Rd was set up a Youth system.

Strange.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Im sure the job losses and closure of the colliery’s had an impact on the attendance figures. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onslow said:

Im sure the job losses and closure of the colliery’s had an impact on the attendance figures. 

Maybe but all clubs attendances were down.

Even the biggest clubs like Man U and Liverpool weld only get 30-35k for an average game on a Saturday.
The London clubs like Arsenal and Spurs would get 23k for an average Saturday game.

Think it is a combination of factors high unemployment, hooliganism, football being very unfashionable, grounds being run down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Maybe but all clubs attendances were down.

Even the biggest clubs like Man U and Liverpool weld only get 30-35k for an average game on a Saturday.
The London clubs like Arsenal and Spurs would get 23k for an average Saturday game.

Think it is a combination of factors high unemployment, hooliganism, football being very unfashionable, grounds being run down.

A bit like Hillsborough now then? 🙄lol

• Haha 4

This was the year that Wilko tried (and failed) to get Mark Wright from Southampton. Apparently his Missus didn't want to move North, so he then went & signed for Derby.....

Wilko then turned his attention elsewhere & tried to spend nearly half a million on a midfield player & promising centre-half.
He was told by the board, 'we're not spending that on some Oxford Utd midfield player or some unproven lower league defender at Middlesbrough'.

The Oxford player was Ray Houghton who shortly after went to Liverpool & promptly won the championship, plus a few more odds & ends in the follwoing seasons.
The Middlesbrough defender was Gary Pallister who a couple of years later went to Old Trafford and won.....just about everything.

No wonder Howie cleared off up the M1 to Elland Rd a year later..... 😞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, York_Owl said:

This was about the time you could start to see the lack of investment in the team. Not sure why we got rid of Shirtliff and Shelton but we should have been signing the likes of Mark Wright and Ian Snodin to replace them rather than Larry May and Gary Owen. 

I'd forgot about Larry May...what were we thinking!

• Like 1

I can't help but think of that photograph of Jack Nicholson's character at the end of The Shining when I look at Mel Sterland's expression.

Does anyone know if  Mel's face appears in any old Wednesday team photographs from the 1920's? 

20 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

One of the first things Wilkinson did was to scrap the Junior/Youth set up at Hillsboro.

The first thing he did at Ellend Rd was set up a Youth system.

Strange.

In what way did he scrap it ?

SPRINGETT RON

JOHNSON PETER

MEGSON DON

MAC ANEARNEY TOM

SWANN PETER

KAY TONY

FINNEY ALAN

QUIXALL ALBERT

ELLIS KEITH

FANTHAM JOHN