Remember this side?

I believe I had this shirt, and even though it's not universally loved. I do like it a lot and also the purple and grey one I got off of terrace store.

Anyway my favourite players of this era was Hodge (I have always liked keepers a lot) and Shutt, though looking back I don't think he scored as many as I thought when I was younger

I would have been around eleven when we had this team, and I only had seen them for half a season in the second flight in 84. Never thought it'd ever turn out like this......

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I started following Wednesday more enthusiastically the following season after that one, by which time a load of those players had already gone.

One day a surprise parcel turned up for me. My grandparents had bought me the full replica kit, via a football memorabilia store near Selhurst Park called The Goalpost. I didn’t really pay enough attention at the time to realise it was actually the previous season’s kit, as in the above photo. The shirt and socks were the same, but the correct shorts for the time would’ve been blue.

Sterland, Knight?, Pressman Hodge, Chapman, May, Madden, 

(Esutace) Marwood, Megson, Worthington, Bradshaw, Shutt, Fee? (Smith)

Hirst, Chamberlain, (Wilko), Proctor, McCall

• Like 3

I remember a lot of them. Chapman was my first favourite player but was replaced by Hirst. Madden's even there but without his chartered accountant qualifications. This must have been one of the first seasons my love for Wednesday got serious. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Missed Siggi

15 minutes ago, Rogers said:

It's not Greg Fee it's Tony Gregory 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, onslow said:

Oh and it's Owen not Proctor

Thanks.  When did we sign Proctor. From Middlesboro wasn't it

None of the youngsters really made an impression at Hillsborough (other than Hirst), Bradshaw got more of a look in at United.

That's right, I think the youngsters didn't get a look in once we started to struggle that season, and the reinforcements (so called!) like Proctor were signed and blocked their progress in the days of 13 man squads

This was about the time you could start to see the lack of investment in the team. Not sure why we got rid of Shirtliff and Shelton but we should have been signing the likes of Mark Wright and Ian Snodin to replace them rather than Larry May and Gary Owen. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

This was about the time you could start to see the lack of investment in the team. Not sure why we got rid of Shirtliff and Shelton but we should have been signing the likes of Mark Wright and Ian Snodin to replace them rather than Larry May and Gary Owen. 

Wilko walked in 1988, probably due to this lack of ambition. 

• Like 2