He’s not more mobile than smith which is why it was smith running the channels rather than Gregory last season. Typically it would be the other way around. 

If we were pressing for a goal against a team sitting deep though he’d be worth throwing into the mix as you can’t teach that predatory instinct 

• Haha 1

Just now, bladeshater said:

Let's just trust in Röhl

I'm sure we're all behind Röhl, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss his decisions 

My main point is we were allegedly looking for a free agent striker or should be

as it appears time is running out, i repeat it's absolute madness, a waste of money and the latter part of the lad's career to not re register him 

Ok he's obviously not up to the press requirements but I'm convinced he could be an asset, albeit limited to cameos, that we just aren't using, yet paying for 

• Like 2

He seems to be getting directly compared with Smith; for me the bigger question is how Wilks continues to get game time over Gregory.  

At the very least with Gregory you can be confident in his commitment and effort and I would argue potentially still the best goal poacher at the club behind Ugbo. Not sure I can say the same for Wilks. 

Full trust in Röhl but for me I think Gregory offers far more as a late sub than Wilks. 

1 hour ago, Mr Meadows said:

As a late sub would certainly have him over smith, cleverer, with a  better touch and more likely to score (unless it’s from the spot)

Completely agree.  His legs have NOT gone, certainly for 20 or 30 minutes.    Smith looks slow and clumsy, Gregory is an intelligent footballer with a great attitude. Smith might have scored more goals in the past, but the past is the past, Gregory would be a better option than him or Fletcher.

He's better at gamesmanship too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Willie Henderson said:

I get he wants a young, high press and dynamic squad.

What I don't understand is why he keeps putting on Smith, who is none of the above, when Gregory in my opinion could do a great job, particularly when it came down to game management.

I feel for Gregory, he deserves better.

It is very poor management of resources. DR says he can look Gregory in the eye but I don't see how he can. Obviously DC is mainly to blame for not releasing him at a similar salary elsewhere but if DR has him on his hands, it's poor decision making and harsh as he is clearly a better player than Smith and is a real footballer with skill and a brain.

Putting Smith on repeatedly and on Friday before Cadz is madness. He is a wholehearted player normally but he looks increasingly tentative. Given occasional bit parts, the confidence which carried him through last season has disappeared. He is not even capable of pressing, unlike Cadz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, victorturner said:

It is very poor management of resources. DR says he can look Gregory in the eye but I don't see how he can. Obviously DC is mainly to blame for not releasing him at a similar salary elsewhere but if DR has him on his hands, it's poor decision making and harsh as he is clearly a better player than Smith and is a real footballer with skill and a brain.

Putting Smith on repeatedly and on Friday before Cadz is madness. He is a wholehearted player normally but he looks increasingly tentative. Given occasional bit parts, the confidence which carried him through last season has disappeared. He is not even capable of pressing, unlike Cadz.

I thought Smith did okay when he came on, he had a good chance where he was unlucky, won headers laid a couple of balls off. I prefer him to Gregory and it seems the manager does too. After all he will see them in training.

• Like 2

Just now, sexpistol said:

I thought Smith did okay when he came on, he had a good chance where he was unlucky, won headers laid a couple of balls off. I prefer him to Gregory and it seems the manager does too. After all he will see them in training.

He does see them in training and that may be key. However it seems Gregory was excluded for predetermined reasons of wanting young legs for pressing and now we do not play quite the same way pressing and Smith is not required to do it either.

Smith missed yet another headed chance as he did at Leicester completely missing the ball as he did then. It's all a  matter of opinion of course but the evidence is that Smith is incapable of getting us a goal even when it's a relatively easy header given his low confidence. I think DR is a little too obstinate in his thinking from time to time however much he has done for us and holding back all three of Icky, Vaulks and Iorfa vs Leeds at home, a very big match,  where at home we might have scraped a point with a better team picked from the start, was another example. 

29 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Oh yeah, forgot about Wilks (easily done). Gregory is a better option than him too.

Whatever you think about Wilks‘ ability, and most of us probably do, he plays a different position. He’s a winger / wide striker. Munoz was getting pelters for playing Gregory wide earlier in the season. Wilks for all his limitations is a better wide player than Lee Gregory. Might as well say Gregory is a better player than Dawson or Bambo…..

I don’t get the comparisons to Fletcher either. He’s barely touched the bench in weeks, let alone the pitch. 

• Like 1

Just a daft situation all round really.

He was out of contract in the summer, right? 

We took up the option to extend his deal even though he wasn't exactly a first choice starter in our second league one season. That's not a dig at him, but Moore usually went with Smith and Windass if all three were available.

Anyway, we keep him on, Xisco tries to play him as a play making midfielder and now he can't get a game because he doesn't suit our style of play.

We could have let him go, but Senor Fathead decided to scupper the deal last minute. So, we have him sat there, doing nothing, and probably earning 10k a week.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just a daft situation all round really.

He was out of contract in the summer, right? 

We took up the option to extend his deal even though he wasn't exactly a first choice starter in our second league one season. That's not a dig at him, but Moore usually went with Smith and Windass if all three were available.

Anyway, we keep him on, Xisco tries to play him as a play making midfielder and now he can't get a game because he doesn't suit our style of play.

We could have let him go, but Senor Fathead decided to scupper the deal last minute. So, we have him sat there, doing nothing, and probably earning 10k a week.

Completely agree. It felt like a sentimental decision in the summer. 

3 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

His legs have gone.

Wasting money and completely disrespectful by Chansiri to not let him go out on loan to end his career. (And I don’t mean to go to Derby)

Gregory may have refused any loan move offered?