Championship away form?

6 minutes ago, WimJunk said:

Does anyone know the figures over the last 3 or 4 seasons, at this level? I'd guess that under various players and managers, it's pretty awful...

We’ve won 4 of the last 33 championship away games and had 6 different managers 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Said couple weeks ago, this is why im not convinced we will stay up 

Our away record is shocking 

Not only do we not get the odd draw or win, we are getting hammered in alot of them 

So doing gd no good either 

• Like 2

Last 34 championship away games by manager:

Monk - Played 2, won 0, drawn 0, lost 2

Pulis - Played 6, won 0, drawn 2, lost 4

Thompson - Played 6, won 1, drawn 0, lost 5

Moore - Played 6, won 1, drawn 1, lost 4

Xisco - Played 5, won 0, drawn 1, lost 4

Röhl - Played 9, won 2, drawn 0, lost 7

Overall last 34 championship away games is 4 wins, 4 draws, 26 defeats. 

At least is improving under Röhl and before today we’d won 2 of the last 4 aways 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

At least is improving under Röhl and before today we’d won 2 of the last 4 aways 

Wow that's a horror story

• Like 6

Just now, onslow said:

Wow that's a horror story

Yes but as I say before today we’d won 2 of the last 4 aways so it’s getting better.

It was 2 wins in the last 29 away championship games before we beat Stoke and Preston. 

The only 4 away championship games we’ve won in the last 34 are Bournemouth (under Thompson), Barnsley (under Moore) and Stoke and Preston (under Röhl) 

One of the reasons I still think we're heading for the drop is our inability to turn defeats into draws. We lose too many, especially away. Every points matters and too often we get zero.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

What has previous managers results got to do with what DR is trying to do??? 

Not a lot but it shows that 6 consecutive Wednesday managers (including Röhl) have all found it very difficult to get results away from home at championship level with DC as owner and this group of players 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

We’ve had a lot of weak mentality players over the years. Some of them are still around.

Yes, it has been an issue for too long.

There is that soft underbelly that rear it's head, particularly away from home.

Remember when we had that horrific stat of not managing to win a game after going behind? Didn't that last nearly two or so seasons?

Look, today was always going to be hard work. It was pretty much the Championship equivalent of Luton rocking up to Anfield this season. It's just a bit annoying when you know you're so far off the top teams in this division.

Got a really, really stiff test coming up against Cov next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Remember when we had that horrific stat of not managing to win a game after going behind? Didn't that last nearly two or so seasons?

When we beat Donny Rovers the other year, it was the first time we'd come from behind to win away from home in six years.

Tackling that kind of well-embedded culture of failure was one of the biggest things Moore achieved in his time here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Yes, it has been an issue for too long.

There is that soft underbelly that rear it's head, particularly away from home.

Look, today was always going to be hard work. It was pretty much the Championship equivalent of Luton rocking up to Anfield this season. It's just a bit annoying when you know you're so far off the top teams in this division.

Got a really, really stiff test coming up against Cov next week.

I think our basic problem has been two things, both linked:

1) A passive, defensive approach with no real attempt to win some of the games (particularly bad under Pulis and Xisco, but all of our managers at some time have fallen into this trap)

2) A lack of pace in the team to effectively hit teams on the counter

I'll never forget one game, away at Forest (the Odubajo 'high-five' game), I think we were still 1-0 down at the time, near the end I think, and the Forest commentator speculated Wednesday might get back into the game. The co-commentator just snapped "they've got no pace" - it was more the dismissive way he said it. It just closed down the conversation, and we never even looked like scoring.

Looking out our XI that ended that game: Rhodes & Paterson up front with Bannan, Alex Hunt, Pelupessy and Issy Brown in midfield he definitely had a point! I think Röhl realises this, and is trying to fix things.

• Like 1

I struggle to think of any successful football team that hasn't had pace.

Certainly when we've had success, we've tended to have pace, especially up front or wide.

It did my head in when Francis kept signing players with no pace when rebuilding the 93 squad.

The problem is, pace costs money and the markets we're shopping in for pace are basically full of fast runners who aren't really great footballers. The lower leagues are full of lightning quick lads who have no idea when to pass or stay onside and shoot with the power of a seven year old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Since 1971 said:

The problem is, pace costs money and the markets we're shopping in for pace are basically full of fast runners who aren't really great footballers. The lower leagues are full of lightning quick lads who have no idea when to pass or stay onside and shoot with the power of a seven year old.

Pace was pretty much all I've ever had to offer as a footballer.

One manager was bringing me on as a sub when I was about 16 and said something along the lines of: "Just run in behind and try to get on the end of everything. They'll figure out soon enough that you're not going to do anything with it, but they can't afford to leave you alone and take the the risk."

It's like to think my presence was the catalyst for our comeback, although I contributed nothing to the goals and smashed three or four chances over the bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Since 1971 said:

I struggle to think of any successful football team that hasn't had pace.

Certainly when we've had success, we've tended to have pace, especially up front or wide.

It did my head in when Francis kept signing players with no pace when rebuilding the 93 squad.

Absolutely nailed it.

After yesterday’s result we’ve now lost 30 of the last 40 away games we’ve played at championship level.

From the last 40 championship away games, we’ve picked up a combined total of 22 points.

Split by manager the last 40 championship away games are:

Pulis - Played 6, won 0, drawn 2, lost 4

Röhl - Played 15, won 4, drawn 0, lost 11

On 13/01/2024 at 21:35, pat blondeau said:

Röhl has won 4 Stoke, Preston, millwall, rotherham