FA Cup 2024

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

The 2 FA Cup games I've watched this weekend have both been absolutely brilliant, 2 of the best games I've seen in any competition for ages.

Same. Didn't bother with the City v Newcastle game though having just sat through 90 mins of us getting battered 6-0

38 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Klopp calling an interviewer "not in the best shape" after the game.

What a spunktrumpet.

My Mrs was all 'Why don't you like Klopp' whilst we were watching the game and he was all smiles and jokes.

I said it was because he's actually a nasty piece of work..his reaction at the end in the post match interviews showed that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Don't really like Liverpool but I hope they win the 2 remaining trophies they are in

I suspect arsenal will win the PL though but I can't see a better team than Liverpool in the europa league

If they could win both it'd be a fitting end for one of the finest managers the PL has seen

The F.A. have announced there will no replays in the F.A. Cup next season.

Another nail in the coffin for what once was a great competition. 

The magic of lower teams going to a big club and getting a draw to bring them back to your ground for a replay has gone. It always played a big part of the cup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

The magic of lower teams going to a big club and getting a draw to bring them back to your ground for a replay has gone. It always played a big part of the cup.

Football now is all about loading the dice in favour of the big sides, has been for a long time, and this is just another example of that.

The powers-that-be don't like to see "upstart" small clubs doing well. They're just there to make up the numbers, and it wouldn't do to have cup upsets making the competition less "marketable" to glory-hunting audiences in places like Hong Kong and Dubai who are only interested in the Manc clubs, the Red Scousers and the "fashionable" London sides.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

How effective is taking a top flight side to a replay though? Since 13/14 I believe* only around five lower league clubs have won a replay against a Premier League club.

Even if abolishing replays benefits the big clubs more, replays are still rubbish.

* Quick glance at wiki:
23/24 Bristol City vs West Ham

19/20 Tranmere vs Watford

18/19 Derby vs Southampton

17/18 Wigan vs Bournemouth

13/14 Sheff Utd vs Fulham

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Putney said:

How effective is taking a top flight side to a replay though? Since 13/14 I believe* only around five lower league clubs have won a replay against a Premier League club.

Even if abolishing replays benefits the big clubs more, replays are still rubbish.

* Quick glance at wiki:

It's not about the winning of the replay.

It's the money it can generate for smaller clubs.

Two games against the likes of Man Utd will bring in a fair amount of money and usually two TV broadcasted matches.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Putney said:

Not if you're a smaller club. There's the extra revenue for a start. It might be chump change to the Ethiad Citys and Chelseas of this world, but for a small club it can make a big difference.

And however few there are, upsets can - and do - occasionally still happen. It's part of the "magic" of the cup. Or at least it used to be. Saying "no point in having replays because the big clubs will probably win" is no argument at all really.

If you're going to go down that road, we may as well say start it with the quarter finals and have just have City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs plus a couple of other prem sides drawn at random out of a hat every season. But that would be rubbish as well wouldn't it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Two games against the likes of Man Utd will bring in a fair amount of money and usually two TV broadcasted matches.

Whilst I understand that, I disagree. It should absolutely not be about the money.

Having extra games isn’t going to solve inequality in football. The payday that a lower league club would get from a one off game against Man Utd regardless of whether it’s home or away would be substantial vs the other clubs in its league who aren’t playing a lucrative team.

4 minutes ago, Putney said:

* Quick glance at wiki:

A replay at home for a lower league club against a big club is a huge money spinner, and could feasibly save a club financially. 

Even a lower club drawing a home tie, the replay away can be worth a lot of money to them.

It also gives the fans the opportunity to see top players at their ground.

Replays against a big team were aleays part of the magic of the FA Cup.

In the 3rd round this season, Bristol C. had a home replay against West Ham and Blackpool a home replay against Nottingham F.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThruThinAndThinner said:

Not if you're a smaller club. There's the extra revenue for a start. It might be chump change to the Ethiad Citys and Chelseas of this world, but for a small club it can make a big difference.

And however few there are, upsets can - and do - occasionally still happen. It's part of the "magic" of the cup. Or at least it used to be. Saying "no point in having replays because the big clubs will probably win" is no argument at all really.

If you're going to go down that road, we may as well say start it with the quarter finals and have just have City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs plus a couple of other prem sides drawn at random out of a hat every season. But that would be rubbish as well wouldn't it?

Magic of the cup does happen yes, we see that already. It happens even less over two games though, hence my point. There isn’t a long list of giant killings in replays.

Equally for every FL club that takes a PL club to a replay, there’s a lot more FL vs FL or PL vs PL. As a fan it’s rubbish and no one wants that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Putney said:

Whilst I understand that, I disagree. It should absolutely not be about the money.

Having extra games isn’t going to solve inequality in football. The payday that a lower league club would get from a one off game against Man Utd regardless of whether it’s home or away would be substantial vs the other clubs in its league who aren’t playing a lucrative team.

Maybe this is one of those situations where we should actually listen to the clubs this stuff actually benefits, rather than making grand statements about what's lucrative for them and what isn't.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skyline said:

On this, Exeter City wouldn't exist without their two matches against Manchester United.

• Like 1