New Wembley

MSN SYSOP

46 minutes ago, MSN SYSOP said:

Really wish they would have tried to keep some originality to new stadium..they could bring back these as so many cup finals won there and a world Cup. Wembley nets I always thought the best and historic. 

FGlfVB9WYAACDFB.jpg

Shame really as Wembleys was iconic 

Never went but heard the facilities were very basic, especially the bogs. 

Think it was right that it was rebuilt, but shame they couldn't incorporate the towers. 

I think the new Wembley is still a very fine national stadium. Its a fantastic sight when you emerge from the tube station at the top of Wembley Way. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I don't think FIFA allow those old-style stanchions in professional football any longer.

I think that was because the ball could hit them and bounce out and it could be confused with hitting the post for eg - so goals chalked off (which they have been)

But with goal line technology that's not an issue now

It's perhaps a bit weird but i associate those stanchions with Wembley - and i don't think i saw the same type anywhere else.

I was hoping the towers could be saved and incorporated somewhere on the site - even on Wembley Way for eg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Never went but heard the facilities were very basic, especially the bogs. 

Think it was right that it was rebuilt, but shame they couldn't incorporate the towers. 

I think the new Wembley is still a very fine national stadium. Its a fantastic sight when you emerge from the tube station at the top of Wembley Way. 

Old Wembley was one of my favourite ever stadiums - but it was a wretched mess - never mind the dreadful facilities the view was appalling

But i still loved it

• Like 1

My only gripe with the new Wembley is with the concourses. They're far too narrow for the volume of people using them. I've been there three times so far and each time going to get food/drink or use the toilets has been an absolute misery. I can understand it with old stadia, but not with something as modern and costly as Wembley.

8 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

My only gripe with the new Wembley is with the concourses. They're far too narrow for the volume of people using them. I've been there three times so far and each time going to get food/drink or use the toilets has been an absolute misery. I can understand it with old stadia, but not with something as modern and costly as Wembley.

Wow that’s interesting to hear because I thought they were huge when there in May on the lower tier. 

The arch looks terrific and was an excellent idea. Do think it’s a shame they couldn’t salvage more of the old though. It was a stadium synonymous with the golden age of football in the 50’s and 60’s. 

2 hours ago, owler66 said:

The problem with the new Wembley is they built it on the site of the old one and so the getting in and out by road are exactly the same as 30 years ago, a nightmare 

Isn’t that always going to be the case when you’ve got 90,000 people exiting? 

I think the public transport provisions are excellent. 

10 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Wow that’s interesting to hear because I thought they were huge when there in May on the lower tier. 

The arch looks terrific and was an excellent idea. Do think it’s a shame they couldn’t salvage more of the old though. It was a stadium synonymous with the golden age of football in the 50’s and 60’s. 

I haven’t been on the lower tier, so it’s good to hear it’s better down there. All three times I’ve been in the upper, and using the concourse has always been a horrible experience.

10 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I haven’t been on the lower tier, so it’s good to hear it’s better down there. All three times I’ve been in the upper, and using the concourse has always been a horrible experience.

Thats poor if so, especially with the ground being less than 20 years old. We were directly behind the goal on the lower tier and it was very spacious IMO. 

The concourses on the lower tiers are vast, more like an airport. I've been there for music gigs where they serve not just the sold out lower tier but also thousands of people using the same courses from standing on the pitch, and it's never felt like a problem.

It's tighter on the top tier but again, not something I've ever had a problem with.

The stadium itself is.. well, it's a big, shiny, vast, multi-purpose stadium. At a certain point these things just are what they are? It's just built for function. I find both driving to it and getting away from it on the tube both exceed expectations. London does this stuff undeniably well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

The concourses on the lower tiers are vast, more like an airport. I've been there for music gigs where they serve not just the sold out lower tier but also thousands of people using the same courses from standing on the pitch, and it's never felt like a problem.

It's tighter on the top tier but again, not something I've ever had a problem with.

The stadium itself is.. well, it's a big, shiny, vast, multi-purpose stadium. At a certain point these things just are what they are? It's just built for function. I find both driving to it and getting away from it on the tube both exceed expectations. London does this stuff undeniably well.

Always found Public Transport in London very good but when you see how much public money is spent on it compare to rest of the country its hardly surprising.