National Football Museum in Manchester

Has anyone on here ever been?

Went today with my grandson. He liked it but I thought it was a bit dull to be honest. The best bit was the football gaming section where I had the chance to play Subbuteo again.

And it irked me that it isn't in Sheffield given its origins in this city.

2 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Went today with my grandson. He liked it but I thought it was a bit dull to be honest. The best bit was the football gaming section where I had the chance to play Subbuteo again.

Subbuteo is a museum piece?

I feel ancient now

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Subbuteo is a museum piece?

I feel ancient now

Don’t worry too much. They were selling it in the museum shop, handily placed just at the exit so you have to drag your grandkid nagging away through it…..

Anyway, it also turns out that the Subbuteo World Cup is being held in England next year (really) so it’s quite a big thing still to some people. 

13 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I agree but I suppose it's all about how many people would visit and sadly more would in Manchester due to the Manchester clubs. By that I mean people from all over the world go to Manchester to watch Man U and City.

• Like 1

I went recently - quite enjoyed it TBH, but it helps if you support one of the Manchester clubs.

A reasonably enjoyable way of spending half a day or so - it’s slightly cheaper if you book in advance. You have to pick an entry time slot, but once you’re in, you can stay as long as you want.

54 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Went a few years ago, it was decent. And free.

Was going to go again recently when I was in Manchester but saw that they now charge £14 entry, so I didn't. 

It's free if you live in Manchester. Bloody cheek....

£14 was a bit much tbh.

Kinda related but has anyone seen Barry Hearne's interview on Stephen Hendry's YouTube channel?

Talks about putting the ball in Sheffield Council's court about giving him a bigger venue than the Crucible when the current contract runs out in four year's time or else he might be taking it to Saudi Arabia or China.

As we don't really shout about our football history, I can't see the council stumping up to build something new or improved for the snooker so think we'll lose that.

TL:DR, be a crying shame if Sheffield is not known for being the home of neither football nor snooker anymore. 

It should be in Sheffield for obvious reasons. The FA should help fund Sheffield FC’s move to Meadowhead, build the new stadium and add on the museum there, if there’s enough room that is. Peanuts for the FA. Fans can then visit the museum, see the ground and maybe take in a match of the worlds first club, could even run a bus as part of the tour up to Sandygate to see the worlds oldest ground and then take in Hillsborough and (I know some aren’t going to like this but) Bramall Lane as the oldest pro ground.. 

I think that would be a pull to all football/ground enthusiasts.

We know the FA won’t help fund it though, whether FIFA or UEFA would be interested?

3 minutes ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

It should be in Sheffield for obvious reasons. The FA should help fund Sheffield FC’s move to Meadowhead, build the new stadium and add on the museum there, if there’s enough room that is. Peanuts for the FA. Fans can then visit the museum, see the ground and maybe take in a match of the worlds first club, could even run a bus as part of the tour up to Sandygate to see the worlds oldest ground and then take in Hillsborough and (I know some aren’t going to like this but) Bramall Lane as the oldest pro ground.. 

I think that would be a pull to all football/ground enthusiasts.

We know the FA won’t help fund it though, whether FIFA or UEFA would be interested?

I imagine there might be some rules against the FA effectively funding a football club. There would definitely be a backlash in the local non-league community. 

1 minute ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

You may be right but they could, should fund the museum add on.

You'd definitely get accusations of favouritism from the FA as that would give Sheffield FC more visitors and therefore more money coming in and a bigger advantage in the transfer market. They already have a natural advantage from their history giving them a USP and international acclaim, which their local neighbours Dronfield Town and others around can't really compete with. That's one thing, but the other clubs in the area would kick off if the FA gave them a big helping hand to extend that financial advantage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buck Rogers said:

Kinda related but has anyone seen Barry Hearne's interview on Stephen Hendry's YouTube channel?

Talks about putting the ball in Sheffield Council's court about giving him a bigger venue than the Crucible when the current contract runs out in four year's time or else he might be taking it to Saudi Arabia or China.

As we don't really shout about our football history, I can't see the council stumping up to build something new or improved for the snooker so think we'll lose that.

TL:DR, be a crying shame if Sheffield is not known for being the home of neither football nor snooker anymore. 

From what I've read and heard his preferred option would be building something onto the Crucible or nearby. The problem is where would you build it?

As for the council stumping up for this would it be a good use of funds to build something that might only be used for two weeks a year? Can't see it being a popular move.