National Football Museum in Manchester

5 minutes ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

You'd definitely get accusations of favouritism from the FA as that would give Sheffield FC more visitors and therefore more money coming in and a bigger advantage in the transfer market. They already have a natural advantage from their history giving them a USP and international acclaim, which their local neighbours Dronfield Town and others around can't really compete with. That's one thing, but the other clubs in the area would kick off if the FA gave them a big helping hand to extend that financial advantage.

It would need a lot of marketing as well. It would be interesting to know how many football fans know that Sheffield FC is the oldest club and whether that would be enough to want them to visit or even watch a game or visit a museum.

9 minutes ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

You'd definitely get accusations of favouritism from the FA as that would give Sheffield FC more visitors and therefore more money coming in and a bigger advantage in the transfer market. They already have a natural advantage from their history giving them a USP and international acclaim, which their local neighbours Dronfield Town and others around can't really compete with. That's one thing, but the other clubs in the area would kick off if the FA gave them a big helping hand to extend that financial advantage.

I get what you’re saying but there is something in trying to protect and push our heritage and history. Club are hardly flying up the pyramid are they, they’ve been at it since 1857 and are what, 8th tier. It would just be a curio, heritage thing. But hey ho. 
Sheffield council isn’t a go as they are struggling just to provide services. If I was a multimillionaire, I think a little philanthropy would kick in.

1 hour ago, darra said:

From what I've read and heard his preferred option would be building something onto the Crucible or nearby. The problem is where would you build it?

As for the council stumping up for this would it be a good use of funds to build something that might only be used for two weeks a year? Can't see it being a popular move.

According to The Star, the snooker generates £2.6 million to the local economy when it's on.

It also mentions a 'place marketing value' of £3.3 million per year. But doesn't explain what that actually is!

Question is if the council see that as enough money to lose versus building something new which as you say, may only be used for two weeks per year. But in his interview, Hearne does say that any new venue should be built with multi use in mind.

£2.6 / £3.3 million may sound a lot to the layman to lose but I have no idea how much that is compared to other things that bring money into the city. Might be a drop in the ocean. Might be a huge loss.

Apologies for derailing the thread somewhat but if we do have to have a multi-purpose venue for the Snooker like Hearne & Hendry are saying here, why not incorporate the Football Musuem into that?

Full Interview here. Crucible question starts at 4:21

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

According to The Star, the snooker generates £2.6 million to the local economy when it's on.

It also mentions a 'place marketing value' of £3.3 million per year. But doesn't explain what that actually is!

Question is if the council see that as enough money to lose versus building something new which as you say, may only be used for two weeks per year. But in his interview, Hearne does say that any new venue should be built with multi use in mind.

£2.6 / £3.3 million may sound a lot to the layman to lose but I have no idea how much that is compared to other things that bring money into the city. Might be a drop in the ocean. Might be a huge loss.

Apologies for derailing the thread somewhat but if we do have to have a multi-purpose venue for the Snooker like Hearne & Hendry are saying here, why not incorporate the Football Musuem into that?

Snooker football, same thing, all about putting the ball in the bag eh..

29 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

Thanks for that looking at it that way it would make sense. Why not make it a snooker/football museum. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darra said:

It would need a lot of marketing as well. It would be interesting to know how many football fans know that Sheffield FC is the oldest club and whether that would be enough to want them to visit or even watch a game or visit a museum.

Sheffield Football should be marketed as a package.

It's an impressive list

Oldest club Sheffield FC

2nd oldest club Hallam FC

Oldest stadium Sandygate (home of Hallam FC)

Oldest pro stadium Bramall Lane

Famous stadium hosting worlds cups and semi finals Hillsborough.

Always gets on my nerves how "Wembley stadium" is always referred to as.....the home of football, the cradle of football, the birth place of football etc and they refer to the FA cup as being the oldest cup competition on the world

Here's me thinking the Sheffield rules came before the FA was even formed. Also the Youdan Cup (a Sheffield competition with the final at Bramall Lane) was contested a few years before the 1st FA cup match.

It's as though the national media want to keep the Sheffield contribution to football secret.

On 28/08/2023 at 11:18, alanharper said:

Went a few years ago, it was decent. And free.

Was going to go again recently when I was in Manchester but saw that they now charge £14 entry, so I didn't. 

I went a few years ago when I had a couple of hours spare in Manchester City Centre when it was free.
I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything special. 
I could have guessed they would be exhibits to fashionable topics like Women's football.
Thought the location wasn't quite right in a city centre, thought it should be next to a major football ground than you would get more feel for game and major match days.

A couple of months ago again had a couple of hours to kill in Manchester City centre and saw they now charged £14 and thought it had gone like everything else with football and be over priced and went to the Science and Industry Museum instead.

I went to the German Football Museum (in Dortmund city centre) a few months ago and I really enjoyed that. Especially enjoyed the incredibly bitter exhibit on of Geoff Hurst's shot actually crossed the line and the fact they have an interactive vote on if it did. Cursed ratio of 52-48 that it was a goal!

Been to Benfica's museum as well which is really good as well, though they do show off a ridiculous amount of trophies. We're also in it as well as they have a wall with the names of every team they have ever faced on it.

30 minutes ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

I went to the German Football Museum (in Dortmund city centre) a few months ago and I really enjoyed that. Especially enjoyed the incredibly bitter exhibit on of Geoff Hurst's shot actually crossed the line and the fact they have an interactive vote on if it did. Cursed ratio of 52-48 that it was a goal!

Been to Benfica's museum as well which is really good as well, though they do show off a ridiculous amount of trophies. We're also in it as well as they have a wall with the names of every team they have ever faced on it.

I have been to Benficas ground but the most amazing trophy room I have been to is at Sporting. That is because as the name implies Sporting Club is actually a multi sport club, there are several thousand trophies on display

43 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I have been to Benficas ground but the most amazing trophy room I have been to is at Sporting. That is because as the name implies Sporting Club is actually a multi sport club, there are several thousand trophies on display

Benfica is the same, there's a three storey display of their sports trophies (their football ones are separate and take up the rest of the floor)

2 minutes ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

Benfica is the same, there's a three storey display of their sports trophies (their football ones are separate and take up the rest of the floor)

Perhaps thats quite new it is about 10 years since I went to both grounds.