Tommy Spurr

Donated.

Tommy is an owl through and through. A good servant to the club in some tough times so it's only right we step up for him in his tough times.

Best of luck Tommy Chloe and especially Rio.

Owlstalkers....Assemble!!

1 minute ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Is this the Tommy Spurr that played for us or someone else? If it’s the ex player then surely he doesn’t need to work as a teacher or raise a grand, he played plenty of seasons at championship level.

Would imagine this treatment could cost an absolute fortune for the little lad. Just wondered as to the context as it seems a bit strange to be raising a very modest amount when the parents are millionaires

Wow.

That seems to be a massive presumption to say the parents are millionaires. What exactly are you basing that on?

Obviously we don't know how much he earned but I'd guess mid to lower end championship wages for an average squad player over the last 20 years weren't quite as much as you think they were.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

What’s wow about it? Just wondered 

He played 13 seasons, 10 at championship level and 3 at league 1 level. Even a modest 5k a week would be a few million after tax over that period

Just wondered.. I could understand it if he was raising half a million but the target seemed very low. And I just thought maybe it’s a different Tommy Spurr if he’s working as a teacher

Just seemed a bit cold to me to suggest he somehow shouldn't be entitled to help cos hes an ex footballer so must by definition be loaded.

Maybe I misread it. Apologies if so.

Even if he did earn that much for that long he does still have to, you know, buy stuff to live on for those 13 years, he doesn't just get to save it all in a special rich footballers tax free account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Is this the Tommy Spurr that played for us or someone else? If it’s the ex player then surely he doesn’t need to work as a teacher or raise a grand, he played plenty of seasons at championship level.

Would imagine this treatment could cost an absolute fortune for the little lad. Just wondered as to the context as it seems a bit strange to be raising a very modest amount when the parents are millionaires

Yes, it’s former player Tommy Spurr.

after tax, living his life as a 20 something footballer and then settling down and giving his family a life he wanted them to have (all his prerogative - he’s earned it) I believe he’s put himself through coaching courses as well as Uni. All of which expensive.

If you read the just giving page then it’s not money to pay for treatment - but Tommy’s employers have thought of the idea to give him and his wife some financial breathing space should they need extended time off, or if either needed to stop working full stop. Just cos he’s earned a fair whack during his career, doesn’t mean the bills are all automatically paid for I'm afraid. No one plans financially for this to happen.

And I imagine that as they’re at very early stages of this diagnosis, and it seems quite an aggressive illness for the boy, anything over and above the 1k raised could go towards funding other treatment….or god knows what else.

Very happy to see the target smashed anyway. Hopefully the support brings the Spurr family some comfort.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Just seemed a bit cold to me to suggest he somehow shouldn't be entitled to help cos hes an ex footballer so must by definition be loaded.

Maybe I misread it. Apologies if so.

Even if he did earn that much for that long he does still have to, you know, buy stuff to live on for those 13 years, he doesn't just get to save it all in a special rich footballers tax free account.

Agree, maybe lower league footballers should be made aware that they need to save for potential life saving/prolonging treatment of their young children should they get cancer…I mean FFS 

Every footballer ever to play football professionally must be a millionaire…(with the exception of David Jones obvs 🙄)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

He played 13 seasons, 10 at championship level and 3 at league 1 level. Even a modest 5k a week would be a few million after tax over that period

Just wondered.. I could understand it if he was raising half a million but the target seemed very low. And I just thought maybe it’s a different Tommy Spurr if he’s working as a teacher

I doubt Tommy Spurr was on even half of £5k a week when he was at Wednesday. We didn't have a pot to pee in during that time and he was from the youth team so probably tied down on a long term contract. In 13/14 (earliest figures I can find) our average wage was £3.5k, and that was after Mandaric came in with an injection of cash (Spurr played from 2005-11).

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Can you please stop posting in threads relating to fund-raising as you always divert them away from their intention. You did it on the one for Jude too. I'm not going to respond any more to your replies as it will probably further divert the conversation away but I felt it important to raise it to @Owlstalk Admin Team as it is a recurring theme. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markg said:

Can you please stop posting in threads relating to fund-raising as you always divert them away from their intention. You did it on the one for Jude too. I'm not going to respond any more to your replies as it will probably further divert the conversation away but I felt it important to raise it to @Owlstalk Admin Team as it is a recurring theme. 

That is rather shameful. 

Let me guess, he thinks all footballers are gazillionaires and shouldn't be asking the public for donations. 

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That is rather shameful. 

Let me guess, he thinks all footballers are gazillionaires and shouldn't be asking the public for donations. 

As I say I don’t want to help his diverting of conversation when it comes to fundraising but yeah, there is that. And in other thread trying to make people feel bad for donating to one cause rather than another.

I think the old saying of ‘‘if you’ve got nothing good to say, say nothing’ should be applied