Tommy Spurr

42 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

There’s now a new target of 7k

As long as that’s okay with some people who seemingly think footballers should funnel money away just incase their kid gets cancer. 

Just donated. Bless them. Can’t imagine how they’re feeling 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, markg said:

As I say I don’t want to help his diverting of conversation when it comes to fundraising but yeah, there is that. And in other thread trying to make people feel bad for donating to one cause rather than another.

I think the old saying of ‘‘if you’ve got nothing good to say, say nothing’ should be applied 

If you didn’t want to provoke a response you wouldn’t have replied to my post at all would you, so I assume that’s exactly what you wanted as you want to be centre of attention 

18 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

If you didn’t want to provoke a response you wouldn’t have replied to my post at all would you, so I assume that’s exactly what you wanted as you want to be centre of attention 

I assume you’ve donated? 

23 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Yes, it’s former player Tommy Spurr.

after tax, living his life as a 20 something footballer and then settling down and giving his family a life he wanted them to have (all his prerogative - he’s earned it) I believe he’s put himself through coaching courses as well as Uni. All of which expensive.

If you read the just giving page then it’s not money to pay for treatment - but Tommy’s employers have thought of the idea to give him and his wife some financial breathing space should they need extended time off, or if either needed to stop working full stop. Just cos he’s earned a fair whack during his career, doesn’t mean the bills are all automatically paid for I'm afraid. No one plans financially for this to happen.

And I imagine that as they’re at very early stages of this diagnosis, and it seems quite an aggressive illness for the boy, anything over and above the 1k raised could go towards funding other treatment….or god knows what else.

Very happy to see the target smashed anyway. Hopefully the support brings the Spurr family some comfort.

Ok thanks for confirming. I’ve donated.

This will cost hundreds of thousands most likely, so just thought setting a £1000 target seemed a bit weird. The reason I asked was if something actually cost a grand and you earned a lot about f money then you’d just pay it wouldn’t you. So I thought the target was misleading and made me think it could be another Tommy Spurr. 

The other guy is making stuff up, in the last thread of this type I was advocating for Jude to receive more donations whereas he was trying to prioritise a cat over a boy with cancer. Can’t stand that sort of do gooder attitude where they try and take the moral high ground (incorrectly)

1 minute ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Ok thanks for confirming. I’ve donated.

This will cost hundreds of thousands most likely, so just thought setting a £1000 target seemed a bit weird. The reason I asked was if something actually cost a grand and you earned a lot about f money then you’d just pay it wouldn’t you. So I thought the target was misleading and made me think it could be another Tommy Spurr. 

The other guy is making stuff up, in the last thread of this type I was advocating for Jude to receive more donations whereas he was trying to prioritise a cat over a boy with cancer. Can’t stand that sort of do gooder attitude where they try and take the moral high ground (incorrectly)

Good on you for donating, Everything helps.

I absolutely didn't prioritise a cat. I donated to both. My point in the other thread was based on my knowledge of Fundraising and I said that you spreading negativity in the thread and questioning people donating to the cat rather than Jude, wouldn't help Jude's appeal and if anything would have a negative impact. It's based on experience in the industry.

Let's leave it at that and not derail this thread too. 

• Like 1

Among a few other hugely generous donations, our own Denis Adeniran has donated £100.

I’m not sure their paths will have crossed professionally but I could be wrong - but good on him.

But great to see the likes of Robert Snodgrass donating a grand.

Again: this was just a small fundraiser created by Spurr’s work colleagues to just help the family along a bit financially if either needed time off work. From what I’ve read the diagnosis was only a couple of months back so they’re probably not even fully aware of what costs could potentially arise.

so every little helps. 

• Like 1