FDB to be offered new contract……

Has strength and energy and potential, but, as others have said, his positional sense and his reading of a game are not yet particularly good.

If he improves in these areas, he has the potential to develop into a valuable member of the team

5 hours ago, The coach said:

Meh..looks the part but he hasnt got a football brain..pace and power can only get you so far

That's what Stuart Gray said about Antonio. He's played right back, wing back, right wing, up top in a two and up top on his own in the EPL and been called up to an England squad. I think either he was wrong or pace and power can get you further than you think. Or maybe he developed a football brain at a later stage in his career than FDB is currently at.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Thought he was under utilised at times last season. He certainly offers something different in that area of the pitch

I agree. He was unlucky when he got injured as he was playing well enough to keep his place but his injury let Byers back into the team to surprising effect. Who is to say he won't be ready next season to take his chance to equally transforming effect in the event of injury to someone else. He needs to be playing here not out on loan. There will be plenty of minutes for him as a sub and in JPT cup games.

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
9 hours ago, Nero said:

Definitely. He is a first team player why would we loan him out? We should have done 2 years ago mind.

Yeah and he would probably have ended up in the National League.

Guest Musttryharder
7 hours ago, Paul.. said:

His main problem is his reading of the game, it's so off where it needs to be defensively, he's often standing around with no idea what he should be doing, where he should be marking etc. etc. needs some serious coaching and will be a force to be reckoned with, assuming it's not too late in his development and he's willing to learn.

How about if the club are prepared to coach him right. Why assume its the lads fault. You could count quite a few hames where LLoungo, Bannan and Byers have had poor games. What reason would you say that was. I would say that there s avery good case of the gaffer not implementing a game plan and concentrating too much on formations. You have formations in sodding ball room dancing.

His physical attributes are great and some of his runs with the ball while opposition players "bounced" of him were at times joy to behold last season.

Still, I'm not sold on him (and I would love us to play and develop young midfielder that would be a key player for us for years to come). I just don't think his technical and tactical basics are nowhere near good enough, and at Man City academy they usually drill these things into their youngsters long before they turn 14.

There are long patches of the game where He simply doesn't know what to do and doesn't contribute both when We have and don't have ball. Percentage when he actually participates in the game is a frighteningly low.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, malek said:

His physical attributes are great and some of his runs with the ball while opposition players "bounced" of him were at times joy to behold last season.

Still, I'm not sold on him (and I would love us to play and develop young midfielder that would be a key player for us for years to come). I just don't think his technical and tactical basics are nowhere near good enough, and at Man City academy they usually drill these things into their youngsters long before they turn 14.

There are long patches of the game where He simply doesn't know what to do and doesn't contribute both when We have and don't have ball. Percentage when he actually participates in the game is a frighteningly low.

Yes there is something in this but overall I think that's a very harsh assessment. He has improved considerably since his first introduction and most of his games have been as a 19/20 year old. If he keeps on improving as he has done this past 18 months IMO he'll  be a real asset and just the type of driving, strong running midfielder we've  been missing for years.

I recall that you posted on here when he first joined that you didn’t really rate him.  Whilst I have the utmost respect for your knowledge and commitment with regards to our academy I wonder if you're  casting a more critical eye over this lad than you would with other youngsters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yes there is something in this but overall I think that's a very harsh assessment. He has improved considerably since his first introduction and most of his games have been as a 19/20 year old. If he keeps on improving as he has done this past 18 months IMO he'll  be a real asset and just the type of driving, strong running midfielder we've  been missing for years.

I recall that you posted on here when he first joined that you didn’t really rate him.  Whilst I have the utmost respect for your knowledge and commitment with regards to our academy I wonder if you're  casting a more critical eye over this lad than you would with other youngsters.

Thanks for your replay.

You are right, as soon as Dele signed I said that I didn't rate him. During the lock down I watched a lot (probably around 100 U-18's and U-23's games) and for a bit played like I was a football scout, making my lists of players that would have been good and realistic signings for us. Dele Bashiru got nowhere near any of those lists. i watched him play for man city's U-23's 3 or 4 times (even linked couple of those games on here) and despite him been physically far more developed than most players at that level, He never stood out (in my opinion).  When you are 21 and you are lagging in technical and tactical department it could be a sign for alarm, especially if player came through academy program like one at Man City where He learned under some of the best development faze coaches in the World.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, malek said:

Thanks for your replay.

You are right, as soon as Dele signed I said that I didn't rate him. During the lock down I watched a lot (probably around 100 U-18's and U-23's games) and for a bit played like I was a football scout, making my lists of players that would have been good and realistic signings for us. Dele Bashiru got nowhere near any of those lists. i watched him play for man city's U-23's 3 or 4 times (even linked couple of those games on here) and despite him been physically far more developed than most players at that level, He never stood out (in my opinion).  When you are 21 and you are lagging in technical and tactical department it could be a sign for alarm, especially if player came through academy program like one at Man City where He learned under some of the best development faze coaches in the World.

Yes I knew that you'd seen a bit of him before he arrived. Like I said though I've seen real improvement these past 18 months and whilst he's 21 now, by far the biggest portion of his games have been as a 19/20 year old. Still a youngster. For me he's a real prospect albeit with room to improve. Next season is a big one for him. 

So if he signs a new contract what do we think this will mean for Alex Hunt who at 22 now is at make or break stage in terms of his career. 

As much as we like to see our own do well I can’t help but think Hunt will move on and is probably too lightweight for this level and above. 

3 hours ago, Musttryharder said:

How about if the club are prepared to coach him right.

It's 100% a coachable aspect of course, just some players at certain ages are better at taking stuff on board and adapting their game and some are of a mentality where they act as if they believe they're the finished article. I'm obviously hoping he's the former and will really push on, get the tactical side of his game nailed down and he'll be immense for us.

• Like 1

If Dele is going to cement a place in our first team this is the division to break through in 

I like him, personally I’d have like to have seen more of him but I  know who comes out for him last year 

hindsight says wing getting that playing time over him was criminal 

Interesting that the majority of criticism of him is based on his reading of the game. We have a literal master of reading the game in Bannan. Play / let them train together and he may well come on to be an extremely good player.

I like him. Decent League One player at this time, with the potential to go on and be a genuinely quality player. I'd definitely keep him around the fringes for now, rather than loan him. Hopefully he'd take his chance and has a cracking season. 

5 hours ago, the mighty wednesday said:

That's what Stuart Gray said about Antonio. He's played right back, wing back, right wing, up top in a two and up top on his own in the EPL and been called up to an England squad. I think either he was wrong or pace and power can get you further than you think. Or maybe he developed a football brain at a later stage in his career than FDB is currently at.

And that’s why gray is so overrated on here..obviously didn’t know quality..went out to draw every game 0 - 0...there’s a reason he’s happy to be in the background...Antonio in his brier spell with us was miles ahead of where FDP is at the moment

14 minutes ago, The coach said:

And that’s why gray is so overrated on here..obviously didn’t know quality..went out to draw every game 0 - 0...there’s a reason he’s happy to be in the background...Antonio in his brier spell with us was miles ahead of where FDP is at the moment

I agree I don't think a good manager outs his best player as not having a football brain even if it were true. I believe he said Antonio is the type of player that loses a manager his job. If he didn't already want to be transferred that kind of statement would have made a player's mind up.

Antonio was a couple of years older than FDB and it was always obvious he was a class above the leagues we were in. FDB still has time to develop and we don't need him to ultimately be premier league class. At the moment we just need him to be capable of pushing for a place in a midfield three. I think he improved massively between the last two seasons. If he makes another step forward this year we will have excellent cover in central midfield.