Anti-Timewasting Campaign

3 hours ago, Mickjj said:

Players receiving treatment on the pitch should not be allowed back on for five minutes. Also a thirty second rule for throw ins or the throw goes to the other team. 

Tricky one if someone genuinely needs treatment though. 

A dirty team could gain an advantage by wiping their opponents' best player out left right n centre.

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

I kind of think if we’d have been 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go and performed some of those tactics and there wouldn’t be a thread about it.

Even if I'd not chosen today to write the OP,  the fact would remain that officials' refusal to enforce rules relating to time-wasting is ruining the game. 

14 minutes ago, vulva said:

You can’t stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play. It’s not basketball. People have got work to go to. 90 minutes and a bit of injury time is enough for me. I want to get off. 

I'm not suggesting the clock should be stopped every time it goes out if play.

All I'm asking for is added time where there are substitutes, goals, time wasting... etc. (as per the rules). 

There would have been 20+ of the rules were properly observed. 

There would have been 40+ if they added on every second the ball was out of play. 

There was less than an hour of football across the 103 minutes last night. 

1 hour ago, George Whitebread said:

I wonder if it's actually the opposite way around.

Maybe referees think the penalty is too severe for them to see it through. 

Last night Pritchard very clearly kicked the ball miles away in the first half. Bookings for timewasting are almost never given before 80 mins. 

Meteta was booked for a much lesser version of the same on 101 mins, when the ref could be confident that the game would end before it mattered too much.

Good point,  what's needed then is a strong piece of guidance by fifa to tell referees when to act

• Like 2

People like Jurgen Klinsmann started the diving stuff watch the diving get in the 90 world cup final

He came to Tottenham scored against Wednesday oooh look he's diving in his celebration the press wet themselves over it 

Just hid what a cheating git he was

• Like 2

It does feel like the gamesmanship is getting progressively worse year on year. This season has been particularly bad which is probably a combination of the level we’re at and teams not wanting to get into a ‘football match’ against us… Ultimately, it’s all paying fans that are being cheated.  The list of game spoiling / cynical tactics seems to grow year on year and the extent to which they’re accepted as part of the game increases too. 

- keepers taking forever to collect the ball

- keepers always taking the ball to the opposite side for a goalkick

- keepers pretending they’re going to play it short before spending an eternity ushering their players up the field

- keepers taking an eternity to kick it out of their hands (what was wrong with the 6 second rule?)

- players ignoring it when it’s passed to them for a set piece or throw in

- getting the opposite fullback to take the throw in on the other side of the pitch (Gillingham 😤)

- players kicking or dribbling the ball away when they concede a freekick/throw in

- a player always stood in front of the freekick to stop it being taken quickly

- when you concede a goal and you’re ahead/level the first reaction is to grab hold of the ball like a kid in the playground

- players (usually the fullback) just dropping to their knees anytime they’re under pressure from a player and can’t play their way out of it

- feigning injury when it’s convenient 

- cynically playing on the head injury rule designed to protect players because teams know it’ll be an immediate stoppage

- diving to win freekicks in dangerous areas 

- diving / inviting contact to win penalties

- pretending that the push to the shoulder was to your face in the hope it’s an automatic red card

- rolling around like you’ve been shot when it’s convenient

I’m so sick of watching games nullified by all of these things. So many tactics designed purely to stop the flow of a football match or to gain an unfair advantage.

I’m so tired of hearing all the cliches commentators and pundits use to avoid calling out the blatant cheating that runs through most games. 

It’s no coincidence that Sunderland with a one goal lead employed nearly all of these, and quite a few repeatedly.  This isn’t sour grapes because I think on balance they edged the two legs.  I don’t think they needed to resort to cheating but when it goes unpunished it’s the easiest route to their desired goal.  The Alex Neil’s and Steve Evans’ of the managerial world will include it as part of their game plan.

I for one don’t revel in it when the likes of Paterson employ these tactics. Yes, all fans want to see their team win and it’s easy to brush all of these things of as necessary evils. The bottom line is that we’re all football fans paying to be entertained and to see high quality competitive games. We don’t pay or travel to see a football in someone’s hands, off the pitch or nowhere to be seen as grown men drop like flies every 5 minutes.

Fans need to put aside the tribalism and make clear that this isn’t what we want to be watching. Ultimately, the obscene money in the game originates from the pockets of the fans (in the stadium or in their armchair).  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, captain bucky o'hare said:

It does feel like the gamesmanship is getting progressively worse year on year. This season has been particularly bad which is probably a combination of the level we’re at and teams not wanting to get into a ‘football match’ against us… Ultimately, it’s all paying fans that are being cheated.  The list of game spoiling / cynical tactics seems to grow year on year and the extent to which they’re accepted as part of the game increases too. 

- keepers taking forever to collect the ball

- keepers always taking the ball to the opposite side for a goalkick

- keepers pretending they’re going to play it short before spending an eternity ushering their players up the field

- keepers taking an eternity to kick it out of their hands (what was wrong with the 6 second rule?)

- players ignoring it when it’s passed to them for a set piece or throw in

- getting the opposite fullback to take the throw in on the other side of the pitch (Gillingham 😤)

- players kicking or dribbling the ball away when they concede a freekick/throw in

- a player always stood in front of the freekick to stop it being taken quickly

- when you concede a goal and you’re ahead/level the first reaction is to grab hold of the ball like a kid in the playground

- players (usually the fullback) just dropping to their knees anytime they’re under pressure from a player and can’t play their way out of it

- feigning injury when it’s convenient 

- cynically playing on the head injury rule designed to protect players because teams know it’ll be an immediate stoppage

- diving to win freekicks in dangerous areas 

- diving / inviting contact to win penalties

- pretending that the push to the shoulder was to your face in the hope it’s an automatic red card

- rolling around like you’ve been shot when it’s convenient

I’m so sick of watching games nullified by all of these things. So many tactics designed purely to stop the flow of a football match or to gain an unfair advantage.

I’m so tired of hearing all the cliches commentators and pundits use to avoid calling out the blatant cheating that runs through most games. 

It’s no coincidence that Sunderland with a one goal lead employed nearly all of these, and quite a few repeatedly.  This isn’t sour grapes because I think on balance they edged the two legs.  I don’t think they needed to resort to cheating but when it goes unpunished it’s the easiest route to their desired goal.  The Alex Neil’s and Steve Evans’ of the managerial world will include it as part of their game plan.

I for one don’t revel in it when the likes of Paterson employ these tactics. Yes, all fans want to see their team win and it’s easy to brush all of these things of as necessary evils. The bottom line is that we’re all football fans paying to be entertained and to see high quality competitive games. We don’t pay or travel to see a football in someone’s hands, off the pitch or nowhere to be seen as grown men drop like flies every 5 minutes.

Fans need to put aside the tribalism and make clear that this isn’t what we want to be watching. Ultimately, the obscene money in the game originates from the pockets of the fans (in the stadium or in their armchair).  

Abso-********-lutely!!! 

I barely watch any football other than Wednesday and wondered if we have it worse in League 1 than they do in the Premier league and found this article https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/04/how-does-the-style-of-football-change-as-you-journey-down-the-english-football-league/

Spoiler alert. We do!

image.png.09eb101453d350ec5bdbad593e10af49.png

How can the game allow 40 minutes to go by without the ball in play?

Another interesting (if you like stats) on ball in play per competion across Europe her https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2018/242/en/

image.png

• Like 2

I reckon the best way to do it is like Rugby if a player is down ( not in the box tho ) then the physios can come on while play continues 

I'm sick to death of seeing players go down 50 yard behind play and the Ref blowing as soon as they hold their heads and then giving an uncontested drop ball once the cheating gets side have all got back in position 

As an aside id also make it an automatic bookable offence for any player running up and across a ball to stop a quick free kick 

Pritchard did it on loads of occasions the other day and nothing done

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 12:14, Ronnie Starling said:

I've said for years that there should be an independent timekeeper. The clock stops when the ball is out of play, corners, throw ins, free kicks, injuries and even when the keeper has the ball in his hands or enforce a six second time rule for when the keepers his it in their hands. Now this might mean that the games take longer but so what its supposed to be 45 minutes each way. Football seems reluctant to follow other sports such as rugby who have had this for some time.

No need to go down this route at all, first time a player wastes time send him off.  If another ones does the same send him off.  The next game they won't do it.

I don't think you'd ever stop time wasting as it's done to stop momentum. That's is where the ref needs to have a back bone. I hate it when we do it.

As I've said for years and been backed by refs, we should proceed with the independent clock that stops at dead balls (and when the keeper takes possession of the ball as they are the biggest culprits!)

It's been proven that even in the Premier league games, most only see around 60 mins of actual football. The lower the league (or certain teams) this is even lower.  

Change the game to 65 or 70 mins and we'd see more football.  

Of course as said, this won't stop gamesmanship, but it will give teams a fair chance of exposing those teams who abuse it, instead of stupid little amounts of injury time and the copusous amounts of play acting. Give the fans a chance of seeing a full game once in a while. Haha

• Like 1

22 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

The games don't last for hours because there's a game clock. They last for hours because each play requires a re-set at the line of scrimmage.

A game clock in football would speed the game up because there'd be no benefit to keeping it out of play. 

Plus, it could still be a bookable offence to slow the game down by kicking the ball away...etc.

……………YAWN !!!

Basketball has rules for this.

5 seconds for a throw in from when tbe official hands the player the ball.

10 seconds for a free throw from when the player is handed the ball.

If you go over, the other team gets possession. 

See how much time wasting happens then when their defensive free kick becomes an offensive one for the other team, or goal kick becomes a corner.

• Like 1

Radical idea to stop time wasting and poor officiating in football.

Each game has two extra referees sat watching the game, they both make decisions as though they where refereeing the game. if they agree on a decision that is different to the one in the actual game they mark it down.When a certain total of wrong decisions is reached, the in game referee is replaced.

The referee that is replaced is then demoted for the next game and shown where he went wrong 

I know its a bit out there but something has got to change.